Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun Registration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gun Registration

I have heard one argument against gun registration being that if there was ever a takeover of the government, the bad guys would know which citizens to disarm. In VA, you don't have to register your firearms, but when you buy one, you still fill out a little form where you put your name and the weapon's serial #. Who has access to that? Also, if you have a concealed carry permit, is that pretty much like having a registered firearm?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-31-2011, 02:05 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
I have heard one argument against gun registration being that if there was ever a takeover of the government, the bad guys would know which citizens to disarm. In VA, you don't have to register your firearms, but when you buy one, you still fill out a little form where you put your name and the weapon's serial #. Who has access to that? Also, if you have a concealed carry permit, is that pretty much like having a registered firearm?
The 4473 is what you are talking about and that stays with the gun shop. Now the logbook has to go to the ATF is a gun store gets their FFL taken away or goes out of business but I believe the 4473 gets shreded. On the CCP it just says you can carry you don't have to give them how many guns, what you carry, serial numbers, etc so not really. When I moved onto base in NC a few years back I had to register my guns. The actually looked at every gun I owned (10 at that time) and wrote down the serial numbers, model and calibre to every one. When I asked why they told "that way if we get a call to your house, we know to come in with a 9mm or an MP5.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
Now the logbook has to go to the ATF is a gun store gets their FFL taken away or goes out of business but I believe the 4473 gets shreded.
Both the bound book and the 4473's get sent to ATF when an FFL discontinues business.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm wearing my tinfoil hat right now, but I believe that those 4473's may eventually be used to confiscate firearms.

The BATFE can enter a gun shop at any time and demand to see all the 4473's. They are free to take notes of any or every one. It's not much of a stretch to just take them under the "Patriot" Act or the pretense of domestic terrorism.

Tinfoil hat off now.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-31-2011, 02:49 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I'm wearing my tinfoil hat right now, but I believe that those 4473's may eventually be used to confiscate firearms.

The BATFE can enter a gun shop at any time and demand to see all the 4473's. They are free to take notes of any or every one. It's not much of a stretch to just take them under the "Patriot" Act or the pretense of domestic terrorism.

Tinfoil hat off now.
I do believe a warrant is needed for that.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The L.E. organizations have essentially become paramilitary. The "War on Terrorism" has changed the game. A nicety like a warrant has essentially been superseded by emergency powers.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Perhaps, but they are of limited use. The 4473 only documents the sale of a firearm from an FFL to an unlicensed individual. Unless the state has its own firearms registration system in place, the firearm gets lost in any subsequent private party sales.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

And after 7 years, those 4473 forms are to be destroyed by the licensee.

This means that MOST firearms sold before Oct 2004, in free states without mandatory registration, do not exist "on the books"

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
And after 7 years, those 4473 forms are to be destroyed by the licensee.
No, they must be retained for at least 20 years. There is no requirement to destroy them after the minimum 20 year retention period.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 AM   #10

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had a Charter Arms Bulldog traced back to me after 35 years. If you don't think these records are being kept and used by the Feds you are living on the Yellow Brick Road.