Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Gun Purchases In Other States? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/gun-purchases-other-states-27576/)

WannaGator 05-26-2010 04:09 PM

Gun Purchases In Other States?

Hey fellers,

I am wondering is it illegal to purchase guns in another state?

I was wondering this for awhile.

skullcrusher 05-26-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WannaGator (Post 290649)
Hey fellers,

I am wondering is it illegal to purchase guns in another state?

I was wondering this for awhile.

It is legal to purchase guns in other states, but they have to be shipped to an FFL in your state of residence where the background check will be performed before you can take possession. For instance, if you trek over to Cabela's in Wheeling, you can buy from them, but you must pick it up from a dealer in Ohio. They have one they work with just on this side of the river. There is normally a transfer fee charged by the FFL.

Face to face sales out of state are highly illegal. You can buy from a private citizen in another state, but they must ship it to an FFL holder in your state.

NGIB 05-26-2010 04:25 PM

As usual, my friend Skull has nailed it. I live near the SC state line and it's amazing how many folks try to tell you it's OK to deal (sell or trade) guns over state lines. The BATFE has been known to setup sting operations in "border" towns using the local firearms swap & sell sites as well...

ALSGUN 05-26-2010 05:52 PM

If I am not mistaken this is the currant law...
A person may only buy a firearm within his own State except that he may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 178.29]

So, you can buy a shotgun or rifle in any state, it just has to be in person (and legal in that state and yours).

robocop10mm 05-26-2010 05:55 PM

Texas allows out of state long gun purchases, but not handguns. IMHO, the NCIS check is Federal. Why should it matter unless you are from a state that does not allow certain handguns? :mad:

c3shooter 05-27-2010 01:22 AM

Al is correct. Unless YOUR STATE forbids in (like CA) you may purchase a long gun FROM A FFL HOLDER in any state. You may not purchase ANY firearm from a non-licensed person in ANY state except your own state of residence (Note- some folks have more than one state of residence). You may purchase a handgun only in your state of residence- from a dealer or a private person. Exception is holders of an 03 C&R FFL buying a C&R firearm.

You can make a prohibited buy, but cannot take delivery- delivery must be to a FFL in your home state.

Google 18 USC 922, and slog thru reading it- it is a long one, but covers a good chunk of the Federal law on guns.

buckhuntr 05-29-2010 03:06 AM

I was getting worried for a minute, because of some long arms that I inherited from my Dad in Georgia and brought to Oklahoma, until I read that legal bequests and subsequent transport is legal so long as one's home state allows ownership of that type of gun. :)

clip11 06-03-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 290654)
It is legal to purchase guns in other states, but they have to be shipped to an FFL in your state of residence where the background check will be performed before you can take possession. For instance, if you trek over to Cabela's in Wheeling, you can buy from them, but you must pick it up from a dealer in Ohio. They have one they work with just on this side of the river. There is normally a transfer fee charged by the FFL.

Face to face sales out of state are highly illegal. You can buy from a private citizen in another state, but they must ship it to an FFL holder in your state.

I live in MI and can drive to Ohio in like an hour. So if I were in Ohio and found a good deal on a gun I wanted to buy, it would be illegal for me to buy it?

c3shooter 06-04-2010 01:32 AM

Clip- see what I posted just above you. Depends on whether long gun/ handgun, and from dealer or private citizen. Long gun from dealer in another state- YES. Anything else in another state- NO- must ship to a FFL in your state.

freefall 06-04-2010 02:35 AM

My brother from Iowa bought a rifle in Alaska from a dealer, no problem. Buying a handgun-won't happen. Unless of course you go through the FFL to FFL do-se-do.