Gun owner not welcome in Maryland - even without gun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun owner not welcome in Maryland - even without gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Huh? In Texas, your Drivers License and CHL are linked. There is NO link between CHL/DL and registration.

In Texas, an officer cannot find out what vehicles you own by checking your name.
Florida isn't linked. The person acting as a LEO would have had to run at least two searches to determine whether the owner/driver had a carry permit. The first search would have to have been through our DMV database, and a second search would have been through the Dept of Agriculture database. Florida DoA is the issuing agency, and by law all information on a permit holder is confidential except to law enforcement agencies.

Incidents like this are not uncommon for motorists from Florida along the I-95 corridor. Profiling is alive and well as soon as a Florida tag is spotted, even right across our border in Georgia. It's not the guns, it's the drugs.

A word to the wise to our northern visitors arriving by car. Do NOT bring large amounts of cash to Florida unless you can afford to lose it. Large amounts of cash make LEOs assume you are coming down to play Let's Make a Drug Deal, and your cash will be confiscated. Use travelers checks or plastic. It's not as bad as it was a decade or so ago, but it still happens.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #22

Liked 1039 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 681

I think the one mistake this guy made was not being on the same page as his wife. I sympathize because I'm in a vey similar situation. I'd have also left the gun at home, and I can see my wife saying the same thing. Unfortunately, it makes it hard to bring up whether or not you are strapped. I don't think my wife would appreciate knowing. I have discussed with her not talking to cops before….I think that's the best play here. Sounds like an "I don't know" and nothing else from her would've helped avoid most of the problem.

Of course, as it stands, the cop sounds like a flaming ass-hat, and I agree with the poster who said these types should loose their LE employment opportunities for life.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #23

Liked 2548 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Why were they following him for so long? He wasn't speeding. Why him? Why did they single him out? Is it unusual to have a concealed carry permit in Maryland? Something about this story isn't right.
I have been through MD dozens of times, since getting my CWP.

I guess they never have spotted me, done a search, and found

my permit on their system.

Don't spend any money there. I go to all the stores and eateries

in Virginia, just south of the Maryland border. Don't spend money

in NJ, either.

WHY? BECAUSE I KEEP MY GUN WITH MY MONEY.

Sooo, if you don't let me carry my gun, I WON'T BE

CARRYING MY MONEY, EITHER.

AND I certainly hope they don't like it...
Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #24

Liked 1789 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

I'm just wondering if this officer was ever shot, shot at, or had a partner or family/friend who was shot.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #25

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I'm just wondering if this officer was ever shot, shot at, or had a partner or family/friend who was shot.
This is always a good question when you see any LEO acting a little unusual.

Walk in his moccasins...then judge

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #26

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A personnel experience is never an excuse for depriving a citizen of his Constitutional Rights. That "PC" acceptance of political abuse is leading the country to a more restrictive society.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #27

Liked 2548 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Florida isn't linked. The person acting as a LEO would have had to run at least two searches to determine whether the owner/driver had a carry permit. The first search would have to have been through our DMV database, and a second search would have been through the Dept of Agriculture database. Florida DoA is the issuing agency, and by law all information on a permit holder is confidential except to law enforcement agencies.

Incidents like this are not uncommon for motorists from Florida along the I-95 corridor. Profiling is alive and well as soon as a Florida tag is spotted, even right across our border in Georgia. It's not the guns, it's the drugs.

A word to the wise to our northern visitors arriving by car. Do NOT bring large amounts of cash to Florida unless you can afford to lose it. Large amounts of cash make LEOs assume you are coming down to play Let's Make a Drug Deal, and your cash will be confiscated. Use travelers checks or plastic. It's not as bad as it was a decade or so ago, but it still happens.
Now I see why that guy was pulled over on I95, while I wasn't. It's

probably because I have custom tags, without the regular tag's

Orange Blossom.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #28

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

I don't think anyone is defending wrong actions but we are all human with emotions. We all base our actions on our personal experiences in life - some better than others...some worse.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #29

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
I'd be willing to bet that if he DOES know someone who was shot, or if he was shot....it was not by a legal gun owner with a CCW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
AFAIK, the fact that you have a CCW/LTC/CCP comes up when the cop runs your tag numbers, indicating that there is a chance there may be a firearm in the car because you hold a carry permit...

He knows this info before he even contacts you face to face...

I may be wrong, it may not be nationwide, (then again it may) but that would certainly explain the "You own a gun, where's the gun" thing...
I know it is true here in NC. I don't know if police outside of NC can see that you have a NC permit due to the privacy law recently passed by the state legislature.

I have been stopped by the NC highway patrol and a city cop recently. Both of them knew I had a permit. I didn't have a gun with me either time The trooper gave me a warning for going 135 mph in a 55 on my bike. I was lucky the trooper has a fast bike. He was very understanding.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

kfox75 Likes This