gun owner arrested at Obama rally

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > gun owner arrested at Obama rally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Post gun owner arrested at Obama rally

Now this is an interesting situation:
TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 9, 2008 :: Last modified: Saturday, September 6, 2008 11:52 PM EDT

Arrest at Obama rally sparks gun rights debate
By Bill Vidonic, Times Staff

John Noble said he’s openly worn a handgun while attending the annual Maple Syrup Festival in Bradys Run Park.

He’s worn it to a Bridgewater book signing.

The Industry man said he’s never been confronted by police over his habit of wearing a holstered pistol on his waist — that is until Aug. 29.

Noble’s arrest at the Barack Obama campaign rally at Beaver’s Irvine Park has raised questions about gun rights.

“There was no disturbance until (law enforcement) made one,” Noble said.,,,,,,,,,,more:

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2008/09/08/news/doc48c31d45df16c948109432.txt

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2008, 02:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

A whole new can of worms is about to be opened...

Old 09-10-2008, 02:56 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A clear infringement of his rights! That a-hole DA's statement about "being allowed to light a match, but not in a TNT factory" is completely irrelevant! I'm sure every "TNT Factory" has signs posted warning people not to light matches - were there any signs posted warning people not to bring their guns to the rally? Were there any signs banning your right to open carry on that day because Obama was in town- no, and if there were, THAT would be cause for a lawsuit as well.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-10-2008, 03:03 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Have to agree with the consensus. Do a person's constitutional rights fail to exist at a political rally? The answer is a resounding "no".

Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #5

I had to scratch my head about this one for a bit....

Was he aware that he "might" cause a stir? probably.

Does that mean he has any less right to carry legally? no.

I mulled it over for awhile, and thought to myself that he also has a right to attend the rally and speak his opinion that he disagrees with xyz, and that would be his right too.

I think the fact that he was not on the same premises as the rally makes a huge difference too. How far away does one need to be before we can exercise any constitutional right?

I believe the police should have definitely investigated him at the scene (it could be a credible threat). However, once they determined he was not breaking the law or maing threats, they should have let him continue on his way.

Would I have done this? No, probably not. But that does not mean he cant.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This isn't over, not by a long shot! The LAMESTREAM news media WILL milk this for everything they can get out of it. And then Nobama will make it his personal crusade.

Ho how this sucks...

Old 09-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don’t think this was the time or the place to show your rights,” David said.

That from the Beaver County Sheriff.

While not associated with the Obama campaign, so they can't technically be blamed, I still have to ask WHEN exactly is a good time for a US Citizen to be "Allowed" to exercise their rights?

Scary!

JD

Old 09-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The DA isn't any better:

Quote:
Beaver County District Attorney Anthony Berosh said the issue isn’t whether Noble was legally carrying a gun. State police said Noble did not violate the state’s open carry law, under which you don’t need a permit to carry a weapon in plain sight.

Instead, Berosh said, it’s a battle between two constitutional rights: The right to bear arms and the right to assemble peaceably and without fear.

“No constitutional right pre-empts the other,” Berosh said.

Berosh said Noble did not have the right to alarm anyone around him attending the Barack Obama rally in Irvine Park.

While Noble’s intentions might not have been sinister, Berosh said, “The people who don’t know him don’t know that.”
So, if you see a gun, it must mean someone is up to no good, even if it is holstered and being carried in a peaceful fashion in plain sight, in compliance with local law.

I'd like to see where it's written that people have the right to not be alarmed at something they see. And frankly, if people do fill their pants at the sight of a holstered handgun, they're idiots (which explains why they're at an Obama rally in the first place).

If anyone's interested in communicating your thoughts, Beaver County Sheriff George David can be contacted at (724) 728-3934 x11243 (phone) and (724) 728-2412 (fax). His address is 810 Third Street, Beaver, PA 15009. There is no email address I could find.

DA Berosh's contact info is: 810 Third Street, Beaver, PA 15009...(724) 773-8550 (phone) and (724) 728-0710 (fax) and his email is district_attorney@co.beaver.pa.us

Please be polite if you feel compelled to sound off.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #9

I was thinking that too--why do gun owners always immediatly get labled as raving lunatics as soon as any antigunner spots anything gun related?

Something that REALLY incensed me recently was a formal statement made by the HSUS to the effect that if you allow guns in National Parks, poaching will be rampant.

AHEM--just because you own a gun does not make you a poacher. Poachers by their very definition do NOT abide by the law, and therefore will be already in the National parks poaching.

I wore an NRA member lapel pin to work one day.....I alarmed several coworkers, and eventually one director suggested I take it off--it was making people uneasy. mmm...a one inch lapel pin with the NRA logo makes you nervous? At the risk of being written up, I asked if she thought I might poke someones eye out with it...she was NOT amused.

I continued wearing it and no one else said a word. (watch out--I have a lapel pin and I KNOW how to use it )

So yes, I get frustrated by the fact that the antis automatically equate someone having a gun with being a crazed person.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musket View Post
I was thinking that too--why do gun owners always immediatly get labled as raving lunatics as soon as any antigunner spots anything gun related?

Something that REALLY incensed me recently was a formal statement made by the HSUS to the effect that if you allow guns in National Parks, poaching will be rampant.

AHEM--just because you own a gun does not make you a poacher. Poachers by their very definition do NOT abide by the law, and therefore will be already in the National parks poaching.

I wore an NRA member lapel pin to work one day.....I alarmed several coworkers, and eventually one director suggested I take it off--it was making people uneasy. mmm...a one inch lapel pin with the NRA logo makes you nervous? At the risk of being written up, I asked if she thought I might poke someones eye out with it...she was NOT amused.

I continued wearing it and no one else said a word. (watch out--I have a lapel pin and I KNOW how to use it )

So yes, I get frustrated by the fact that the antis automatically equate someone having a gun with being a crazed person.
OK, You are LABELED at work now! You are now called: "that crazy guy with the dangerous NRA lapel pin". You are also at the TOP of the water cooler topics! Don't you just love small-time office scuttlebutt???