Gun Modifications in Court - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun Modifications in Court

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

You could kill an attacker with a frying pan and a prosecutor would find a way to accuse you of using excessive force. You're f*cked if you do and you're f*cked if you don't, so you might as well pack what you want and learn what constitutes a threat...because ultimately, it's going to boil down to circumstances.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

The improbable is strong with this thread.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #13

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

I have done a trigger job on my Sigma. I carry it once in a while. I carry some factory loads in my guns. I carry hand loads in others. All of my hand loads are to published standards. I do not hot load. I do not plan on shooting anyone. But if I am forced to, I am sure the rest of my life will be changed no matter what type of gun or ammo I was carrying.

I would be more concerned about the prosecution asking why I train in IDPA. I am sure they would ask why we use targets that are shaped like people. I am also sure they would ask about my military training as well. I am sure that the fact that the military actually trained us to kill, would not go well in a self defense trial. But if I am forced to defend myself, that training will be very valuable indeed.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #14

Liked 1154 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
Changing the trigger pull on your carry gun is no different than changing the sights, or the backstrap, or the recoil spring assembly, or the magazine release, or the grip texture. Every single one of those items I listed is a modification.
The difference is that the trigger is involved with the firing of the gun.

The jury you would potentially be facing are not armorers they are every day people who likely have little to no experience with a gun.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #15

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Many years ago my friend was in a court case involving a handgun. The prosecution introduced his "Guns & Ammo" magazine subscription. The prosecution used the handgun articles very effectively to convict him. Courts and lawyers are not "Predictable".

Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5930 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 5477

There was a civil suit quite a few years ago in this part of the country where "cocked and" locked was an issue.

This was a civil case, not criminal, and the shooting was accidental, not intentional.

The defense leaned heavily on Jeff Cooper's training.

The plaintiff's attorney argued that the 1911 was a military weapon, designed specifically for military use, and had been standard issue for 70 years.

He kept hammering on the fact that the military did not allow "their" weapon to be carried with a round chambered. He called a retired military policeman to testify to how unsafe this procedure was.

The plaintiff won. I don't know how much "weight' this carried with the jury, or whether it was a deciding factor in the verdict. But I haven't carried a 1911 since. If for some reason I ever felt the desire to carry a .45 again, it would be my SIG P220.

Don't give them anything to use against you if you can help it.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #17

Liked 427 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 1259

i seen a case of a docter who was convicted in a self defense case because of the ammo he had in his gun,i dont have all the details it was years ago but since then i only carry factory loads.its just my choice.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5930 Times on 3354 Posts
Likes Given: 5477

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
i seen a case of a docter who was convicted in a self defense case because of the ammo he had in his gun,i dont have all the details it was years ago but since then i only carry factory loads.its just my choice.
I've had at least a dozen attorneys tell me not only to carry factory ammo, but to try to carry whatever the local police carry.`

The "average juror" knows little or nothing about guns or ammo. So if you carry the same ammo as the police, Mr. average juror will believe that you followed the lead of the "experts" so you did the right thing.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
The improbable is strong with this thread.
Correct you are. We MUST deal in probabilities, not possibilities. It has been my observation after 30+ years of dealing with the legal system, that if your 'modifications' do not reduce the 'safety' of the weapon (lighting the trigger pull is an example which could be used against you) they are not an issue. But because of recent events in FL it is apparent that 'doing the right thing and saying the right thing' will not ALWAYS work out right. So be careful if you live a justification which has those not friendly to the 'armed victim' in positions of authority!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I've had at least a dozen attorneys tell me not only to carry factory ammo, but to try to carry whatever the local police carry.`

The "average juror" knows little or nothing about guns or ammo. So if you carry the same ammo as the police, Mr. average juror will believe that you followed the lead of the "experts" so you did the right thing.
Correct you are.
There is no reason to carry anything but 'factory' ammo now as the current SD ammo available is better than most of us could load anyway. It just 'complicates' things if you load your own.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 08-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.