Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   gun lovers in trouble (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/gun-lovers-trouble-57010/)

alijandro 02-04-2012 10:30 PM

gun lovers in trouble

do u think the U.S would ever beable to ban guns:confused:

texaswoodworker 02-04-2012 10:59 PM

They could try, but it would backfire.
There are millions of gun owners (I think around 60 million), and even more guns. They would never be able to get all of them. At the first signs of a ban, many of us would hide our guns for the future, many of us would give who ever came to get the guns a bullet insted, and we could/would start a civil war for the right to keep them (because without the 2nd Amendment, we could eventually lose the rest of our rights). Despite what the Gov. wants you to think, we DO NOT serve them, They ARE SUPPOSED TO SERVE US.
Plus, many of the military/LEOs would side with us if this ever happened.

Chandler51 02-04-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alijandro
do u think the U.S would ever beable to ban guns:confused:

..........nope

countryboy 02-04-2012 11:07 PM

Sworn to uphold and defend the constitution, against all enemies, foreign and domestic...

EXPENDABLE

vincent 02-04-2012 11:07 PM

Molon labe

Chandler51 02-04-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent
Molon labe

Amen brother.

trip286 02-04-2012 11:20 PM

They can try. And they might even succeed. But it will cost them dearly. It will cost everyone dearly.

Paladin201 02-04-2012 11:23 PM

No, I don't, with one qualification.

In spite of the continued push by the liberal anti-gun movements, the fact is that public opinion in this country is becoming more and more pro gun. 49 of the 50 states now have CCW, and the people have seen for themselves that all the doomsday predictions the anti-gunners made just haven't come true. Too many people have now seen the simple truth with their own eyes that the "More guns mean more crime" argument is BS. In fact, the opposite has proven true. The average John Doe now knows that a law abiding citizen with a gun is not a threat to them, and they are becoming increasingly comfortable with the idea of living around people who carry guns. The first time Missouri tried to pass its CCW law it was voted down. The second time it passed fairly easily. I think if you put it to a vote today it would receive overwhelming support. So no, I don't think the government could ever get a complete gun ban through like they did in Australia....legally.

However, if you subscribe to some of the conspiracy theories, one of the popular ones states that when Obama spends the U.S. into an economic disaster and things go to hell, with riots like they've had in other countries, then Obama would use the opportunity to declare martial law and order the public at large to be disarmed "for the public good". A national version of what New Orleans did after Katrina, seizing private guns. And I know many will say that will lead to civil war and/or rebellion...."You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" and all that. But when it happened in New Orleans, very few resisted. Most just gave up their guns. It's one thing to say you'll go out fighting, but its another when you find yourself actually face to face with a dozen heavily armed cops or soldiers. Especially when going out in a blaze of glory may mean leaving a wife and family behind to fend for themselves. Could this scenario happen? I wouldn't put it past Obama for a second.

Chandler51 02-04-2012 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin201
No, I don't, with one qualification.

In spite of the continued push by the liberal anti-gun movements, the fact is that public opinion in this country is becoming more and more pro gun. 49 of the 50 states now have CCW, and the people have seen for themselves that all the doomsday predictions the anti-gunners made just haven't come true. Too many people have now seen the simple truth with their own eyes that the "More guns mean more crime" argument is BS. In fact, the opposite has proven true. The average John Doe now knows that a law abiding citizen with a gun is not a threat to them, and they are becoming increasingly comfortable with the idea of living around people who carry guns. The first time Missouri tried to pass its CCW law it was voted down. The second time it passed fairly easily. I think if you put it to a vote today it would receive overwhelming support. So no, I don't think the government could ever get a complete gun ban through like they did in Australia....legally.

However, if you subscribe to some of the conspiracy theories, one of the popular ones states that when Obama spends the U.S. into an economic disaster and things go to hell, with riots like they've had in other countries, then Obama would use the opportunity to declare martial law and order the public at large to be disarmed "for the public good". A national version of what New Orleans did after Katrina, seizing private guns. And I know many will say that will lead to civil war and/or rebellion...."You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" and all that. But when it happened in New Orleans, very few resisted. Most just gave up their guns. It's one thing to say you'll go out fighting, but its another when you find yourself actually face to face with a dozen heavily armed cops or soldiers. Especially when going out in a blaze of glory may mean leaving a wife and family behind to fend for themselves. Could this scenario happen? I wouldn't put it past Obama for a second.

I don't disagree "wholesale" with your argument, but Katrina as an example is a flawed premise. I say that because by the time the disarming took place, it was primarily just the helpless and the very poor remaining in the city. People who couldn't even get out of the storms path for a few days, much less mount any kind of coordinated protest.

It would be a different story had they been dealing with NOLA as a whole, or other people, more in a position to resist.

That's not to say that they wouldn't try.

alijandro 02-04-2012 11:40 PM

it could cause a civil war "agian" and with everyone resisting they would have to use guns themselves prooving them hipocrits plus they would lose any way