Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun laws ineffective in USA and Canada

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 608 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Rocky, do you guys have concealed carry in Canada?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1306 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Technically, yes. Our federal law does allow CCW if you can get a permit. But practically speaking - no.

The permits must come from a provincial Chief Firearms Officer. These guys are almost always ex-cops. Politico-cops. The chances of actually getting a permit are "0".

They won't issue a permit to off-duty police officers, to vets, to farmers or ranchers. They won't issue a permit to carry on your own farm land. The only possibility is to be a trapper and make the case that you need a handgun to dispatch trapped animals. Even then, the permit would restrict you to the trapline.

That's what happens when bureaucrats are given the discretion to issue or not to issue.

Handgun owners can get a permit to transport a handgun from your home to a shooting range and then back home. It has to be in a locked container both ways. As you can tell - useless for self-defence.

When our federal government recently passed legislation to throw our long gun registry on a manure pile, these miscreants actually got together and issued their own orders to all firearms sellers to create in-store records of everyone they sold a rifle to. In other words, they tried an end-run around specific federal legislation! They did eventually back down but not before the government dithered for a about a month.

I hope that sounded objective. It's hard to describe without losing my naturally sunny disposition.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 04-03-2013 at 03:35 AM.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #23

So even on your own property you have to get a permit to carry? Even in Kalifornia you can carry on your own land or in your business. I didn't know you Canadians had it that bad.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #24

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
So even on your own property you have to get a permit to carry? Even in Kalifornia you can carry on your own land or in your business. I didn't know you Canadians had it that bad.
Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous up here. You basically have to prove that if you don't have a concealed firearm on you at all time you WILL die, not that there's a chance you could die.

It's even at the point where something like the R25 can't be used for hunting, purely because the lower is of an AR variant. There are AR variants that are allowed outside of a certified range. Only one that seems to be excluded from pure range use for some reason is the 108B, other then that there's none that I'm personally aware of. Another gun that's restricted to purely range use is any variant of the AK, excluding some of the CZ models for some reason.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #25

Kaido, glad to hear from another Canadian. Rocky7 has some good posts. As he says, a mouthy Albertan. I'd rather have a mountain of "mouthy Albertans" than a bunch of sissy city dwellers that are hoplophobes.

Please keep posting, a lot of us are concerned with all true North American gun rights activists. If you ever make it to Florida I'm glad to accommodate you.

That's a sad state you guys are in, sounds like NYC or Sh!tcago style gun control. Only the state and criminals have a chance at self preservation. Stay strong N American brother.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Please keep posting, a lot of us are concerned with all true North American gun rights activists. If you ever make it to Florida I'm glad to accommodate you.

That's a sad state you guys are in, sounds like NYC or Sh!tcago style gun control. Only the state and criminals have a chance at self preservation. Stay strong N American brother.

Glad to hear that. If we can open up better lines of communication, I think we can defeat these cockroaches. They don't like the light.

I cannot sit still for what we have in this country. We are told to call "911" but the police who answer insist (correctly) that they cannot guarantee our safety. We are told we have a right to self-defence but that we must exercise it bare-handed. I might be able to manage that some of the time, having grown up way on the wrong side of the tracks but my daughters and seniors have no chance at all.

Here's a bit that's really, really crazy:

A few years ago I bought homicide data from Stats Canada (yeah, my taxes pays to collect it but I have to buy the data. Go figure.). Anyway, I bought that data and I gathered up the same data from the FBI Uniform Crime Statistics (which I did not have to buy). A friend of mine on another forum took my data and made a graphic showing the homicide rate averaged over 2005-2008 for several provinces and the nearest "right to carry" States. Here it is:

I am almost twice as safe in Montana than here in Alberta. In Montana you can buy a pistol with buns and a package of hot dogs (I saw that once in Kalispell). When I have time, I will expand the data to 2011. The comparison will be even more stark.

It takes a special kind of cultivated stupid to review those facts and conclude that CCW laws result in more shootings. If that were true, then I guess we'd have to conclude that Americans are using nerf bullets. U.S. high crime zones come with slums, gangs, drugs and strict gun control laws; it does not come with CCW. The crap is only believed because we have been taught that we cannot trust each other, the implication being that we can only trust government.

We are down the Rabbit Hole.

Last edited by Rocky7; 04-03-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #27

Liked 326 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
Kaido, glad to hear from another Canadian. Rocky7 has some good posts. As he says, a mouthy Albertan. I'd rather have a mountain of "mouthy Albertans" than a bunch of sissy city dwellers that are hoplophobes.

A sad state indeed. I almost laughed when I seem someone say "I want the old Toronto back. I want it to be the way it was before there was ever any handguns. I see absolutely no reason for them, you can't even hunt with one so there is no reason to own one." Then I realized it was people like that who are the ones that make gun owners seem crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7

Glad to hear that. If we can open up better lines of communication, I think we can defeat these cockroaches. They don't like the light.

I cannot sit still for what we have in this country. We are told to call "911" but the police who answer insist (correctly) that they cannot guarantee our safety. We are told we have a right to self-defence but that we must exercise it bare-handed. I might be able to manage that some of the time, having grown up way on the wrong side of the tracks but my daughters and seniors have no chance at all.
Hey Rocky, if you do a whole lot of digging around there's a website that explain how "technically" we do have the right to conceal/open carry as Canadians. I found it while I was bored and trying to find out if there ever was such a law that allowed us too. I've just never been brave enough to test it out since I know it won't be a pretty day for me if I do. If you're interested in checking the site out its www.RKBA.ca

Old 04-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
Hey Rocky, if you do a whole lot of digging around there's a website that explain how "technically" we do have the right to conceal/open carry as Canadians. I found it while I was bored and trying to find out if there ever was such a law that allowed us too. I've just never been brave enough to test it out since I know it won't be a pretty day for me if I do. If you're interested in checking the site out its www.RKBA.ca
I've seen it, thanks. kaido, there are indeed legal arguments to support the concept in Canada but we are ruled by liberal judges and anti-gun CFO's. With only a few exceptions at SUN and the National Post, the MSM is intellectually lazy and think that their new role in our democracy is to be social engineers. And it seems our "conservative" government checks the polls every morning to find out what they think.

It's been tested. Here's one example:

http://canlii.org/eliisa/highlight.do?text=permit+to+carry&language=en&sear chTitle=British+Columbia&path=/en/bc/bcca/doc/1993/1993canlii523/1993canlii523.html&searchUrlHash=AAAAAQAPcGVybWl0I HRvIGNhcnJ5AAAAAAAAAQ

A lot of veterans fought for freedom in this country and in the U.S.

It's high time for civilians to realize they need to do their part (non-violently).

Last edited by Rocky7; 04-03-2013 at 04:04 PM.