Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun Free Zone liability - Are business owners responsible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1687 Times on 951 Posts
Likes Given: 1131

I dont know where they came up with that information. But, a Cloroado Concealed carry permit is valid throughout the entire state of Colorado. Hickenlooper tried to ban carry in Denver when he was Mayor. But Gov Ritter signed a bill that said a city could not deny it. Dont remember which bill it was. But t was a big deal to all of us here.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3636

Each business owner should have the right to decide if CC is allowed.

Should be that way with smoking also.

Last edited by towboater; 07-24-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #13

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I dont know where they came up with that information. But, a Cloroado Concealed carry permit is valid throughout the entire state of Colorado. Hickenlooper tried to ban carry in Denver when he was Mayor. But Gov Ritter signed a bill that said a city could not deny it. Dont remember which bill it was. But t was a big deal to all of us here.
here ya go.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/aurora-co-gun-control-68844/

Old 07-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #14

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperSC View Post
I don't think a business should be held liable in that case. Because I feel a private business owner should have the right to not allow someone on their property for any reason, even because of a gun.

At the same time, I don't think it should be a 'criminal matter' or even a violation of your Concealed weapons license for bringing your gun into a business that forbids them. It should be as simple as the business owner/employee asking you to leave the property. And if you refuse to leave it then becomes trespassing.
I like what Jeeper said, that's the elusive middile ground everybody seeks. In some states (SC) a lot of laws would have to be changed as it's a FELONY to carry in a GFZ...good luck with that one. I've been copy and pasting thei quote by Thomas Jefferson a lot lately as it seems to fit this scenario...

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’
-Thomas Jefferson

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102

The theater owners in Aurora CO had nothing to do with the Gun Free Zone. The entire city of Aurora CO is a gun free zone. That's right, it is illegal to carry anywhere in the city of Aurora.

The City of Aurora, Colorado would have arrested anyone who stopped the Batman massacre with a concealed weapon.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036549_Aurora_concealed_carry_gun_confiscation.htm l
Steve, thanks for clearing that up. In this case, the owners would not be partly liable, but the city could be sued for creating the situation whereby licensed citizens were not allowed to defend themselves.

This discussion was for both situations in general. A lot of merchants here in Ohio are unaware that they are in one of only two states that hold them financially liable for their decision to create a GFZ. However, I'd like to discuss both private business owners and municipalities together.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #16
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

I like what Jeeper said, that's the elusive middile ground everybody seeks. In some states (SC) a lot of laws would have to be changed as it's a FELONY to carry in a GFZ...good luck with that one. I've been copy and pasting thei quote by Thomas Jefferson a lot lately as it seems to fit this scenario...

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’
-Thomas Jefferson
GREAT quote, Vincent! Thanks for posting it again. It seems SC takes the GFZ more seriously than other states. I wonder if when they wrote that law, they were thinking about courthouses and sheriff's stations more than your local Appleby's. A campaign to get the law clarified and rewritten may be in order.

The middle ground that you speak of could be that trained CCW holders fall under the same category as police and security guards; i.e. for example to be exempt from any GFZ zone that is not state sponsored, courthouses, sheriff's stations, police stations, etc.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-24-2012 at 02:34 PM.
vincent Likes This 
Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #17

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Im a huge proponent of voting with my dollar and do not do buisness with establishments not allowing me to carry.

With that said, I believe a private property owner has created a dangerous situation by not allowing me to execute a Constitutionally protected right. This then makes that property owner liable in my humble opinion.

This argument cant be made that by allowing chl holders to carry on property the owner would be liable in the event of a justified self defence shooting. There are too many fail-safes in that equation.

An unwillingness to defend yourself is not justification for a lawsuit either IMHO.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 07-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
So, what do you do when your entire city becomes a GFZ?
Move or run for city council.

When government effectively bans guns, then you have a choice to make: will you knowingly break the law to exercise your unalienable right, or will you capitulate and get rid of your guns, or will you relocate?

My point was that private entities absolutely have the right to tell guests or patrons what is and is not allowed on the premises. If you don't like it, don't go there.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
So, what do you do when your entire city becomes a GFZ?
GTHO, imo.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Say you failed to see the 'no firearms' sign and someone calls the police.
As long as your permit is valid and theres not anything 'suspicious' going on with you, I think most police would be pretty lenient with this.