Gun Free Zone - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun Free Zone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Just once I'd like to see an anti-gun nut respond to this.
Why don't you ask the azzhats? Here is their forum. (at least half theirs) Gun Control Debates Just looking at the main page pisses me off.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 12-15-2011 at 12:02 AM.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
i believe you mean this
Yep, that's the one

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 12-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #13

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Why don't you ask the azzhats? Here is their forum. (at least half theirs) Gun Control Debates Just looking at the main page pisses me off.
I tend to find myself in these arguments (or maybe I look for them) & it doesn't take long to make my point. The "guns kill" croud boggles my mind. I always ask them what they'd defend themselves with against an intruder. Their two options being a gun & a cell phone. From what I gather, their selection between the two let's me know they have WAY too much faith in law enforcement. I can say that because I used to be an MP.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 AM   #14

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

MP or not (I pulled that gig too for a few months) it's just a proven fact that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Check this out, I'm sure the info us available online somewhere, check the average response time of the police department in your home stomping grounds.

Now stop and think about how much could happen in the allotted time frame.

Take it a step further and see if you can find statistics on how long it takes to commit a rape, a murder, our a basic robbery or mugging.

Now, like I pointed out in another thread (our heck it could even be this one, I don't read the entire thread every time, just the updates.)
take your favorite carry piece and aim it at a target. It could be a home intruder if you have one on hand, but a paper plate will do in a pinch. With one hand dial 911, and ask for the police, and with the other hand open fire.

Which reaches it's destination first? The bullets or the cops?

Disclaimer- never dial 911 except in a real emergency, they do provide a valuable service that does not need to be abused. They could be in the process of sending fire fighters to watch a house burn

And scratch, I didn't mean for it to seem I was directing my rant at you bud.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I tend to find myself in these arguments (or maybe I look for them) & it doesn't take long to make my point. The "guns kill" croud boggles my mind. I always ask them what they'd defend themselves with against an intruder. Their two options being a gun & a cell phone. From what I gather, their selection between the two let's me know they have WAY too much faith in law enforcement. I can say that because I used to be an MP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
MP or not (I pulled that gig too for a few months) it's just a proven fact that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Check this out, I'm sure the info us available online somewhere, check the average response time of the police department in your home stomping grounds.

Now stop and think about how much could happen in the allotted time frame.

Take it a step further and see if you can find statistics on how long it takes to commit a rape, a murder, our a basic robbery or mugging.

Now, like I pointed out in another thread (our heck it could even be this one, I don't read the entire thread every time, just the updates.)
take your favorite carry piece and aim it at a target. It could be a home intruder if you have one on hand, but a paper plate will do in a pinch. With one hand dial 911, and ask for the police, and with the other hand open fire.

Which reaches it's destination first? The bullets or the cops?

Disclaimer- never dial 911 except in a real emergency, they do provide a valuable service that does not need to be abused. They could be in the process of sending fire fighters to watch a house burn

And scratch, I didn't mean for it to seem I was directing my rant at you bud.
Just calling the cops and having them solve your problems is a great dream, but in reality, you will not have time to wait for them to arrive. They usually take 2 min to get to my street (there are several that live in my neighborhood and the Reno PD is about a mile up the road) but even that is too long to wait when your life is endanger. I think most if not all LEOs would rather be calling in a DOA on a attacker then calling in one for you.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8818 Times on 5101 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

I wonder if finding your gun before you found the phone would be any explanation? I mean how many of you know exactly where your phone is at all times and how many of you know exactly where your guns are at all times? Just askin'.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #17

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I wonder if finding your gun before you found the phone would be any explanation? I mean how many of you know exactly where your phone is at all times and how many of you know exactly where your guns are at all times? Just askin'.
The one phone in my house is 5 feet away from the front door. The same door an intruder would come in threw. My guns are 2 feet away from were i sleep. In that case i would have to shoot my way threw the bg to get to the phone. Problem solved i dont have to worry about 911 being busy and i no longer have a threat in my house (alive).

Have Gun....Will Travel

Old 12-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
We have somehow managed to misplace all 5 phones at my house, but I have never misplaced a gun.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #19

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

It's a little harder to misplace a gun if you always keep it by your side...

Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8818 Times on 5101 Posts
Likes Given: 11496

OK, I have to admit. I did once "lose" one of my guns. I was working at my desk when a neighbor came by and dropped their kids off with us. She was driving her husband to the hospital with a medical emergency. I took my gun on my desk and locked it in a semi-secret compartment in my desk, locked the safe, secured all other guns in the house (again, it was unexpected and an emergency) while my wife was occupying the neighbor kids on the porch. These neighbors do not own guns and their kids have no gun safety training to speak of. I have two kids roughly the same age who have been trained about gun safety nearly from birth. Also, the neighbors are well aware that we have guns in the house and they are comfortable dropping their kids off with us with that knowledge.

We had the kids for two days and nights. All of the guns were locked up the entire time but still accessible to me if needed. After the kids went home I could not find the one gun I had locked in my desk for the life of me. It took me almost a week before I found it. It nearly drove me insane, but at the same time it was a good lesson. Since then I do not lock anything up in a "panic". I have established the places where guns get locked up and do not vary from that.

On the other hand I have lost my phone(s) so many times I have lost count and it did not bother me a bit nor did it alter my behavior in any way.

I guess what I am saying is that a gun is a tool that can be used immediately. A phone will bring uncertain help who knows when? I have never had to use a gun for that purpose, but I have had to use my First Aid skills in a similar way. I could have wasted precious minutes driving to a phone to call 911 (no cell service in the area) but instead I started CPR and waited until another motorist came along to drive to call 911.