Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Is gun control racist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #101
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4567 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 4711

Tell me full auto, why did mass elect a republican?

Old 09-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #102
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner

Liked 621 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
Because Most people in ma are morons, like it or not the only states that I know of that ever elected an intelligent (Libertarian) candidate as governor or as a senator are Texas (Ron Paul) and New Mexico (Gary Johnson).

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #103
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
With no charter to anchor it to a set of ideological beliefs and consistent behavior by party members that show what the party stands for, what does it mean to be either a republican or a democrat?
Old 09-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt
With no charter to anchor it to a set of ideological beliefs and consistent behavior by party members that show what the party stands for, what does it mean to be either a republican or a democrat?
The typical belief of said party, typically democrats believe in very strong gun laws, republicans believe in strong gun laws, and libertarians believe in relaxed gun laws.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 09-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #105
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA View Post
Because Most people in ma are morons, like it or not the only states that I know of that ever elected an intelligent (Libertarian) candidate as governor or as a senator are Texas (Ron Paul) and New Mexico (Gary Johnson).
Having known quite a few libertarians in my life, I have a difficult time using the words "intelligent" and "libertarian" in the same discussion.

It's nice to dream of the world as we think it should be, but we've still got to live in the world that is.

Remember the serenity prayer:

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the coursge to change the things I can,
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE"
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 09-09-2012, 06:20 PM   #106

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

At one point gun control was intentionally racist. Here in NC we have stacks of Jim Crow laws on the books that we all have to abide by now. Our purchase permit and concealed carry permits are based on Jim Crow laws that give the local sheriff power to arbitrarily deny anyone a purchase permit. We have recourse in the courts if someone is denied a carry permit. In some counties three letters of recommendation are required to apply for a carry permit. Everyone that writes a letter of recommendation must live in the county where you are applying for the permit.

The Jim Crow laws saved us from the Brady laws but we still have to jump through hoops to get a permit. Now days when you see someone on TV or in the media crying out for stricter gun control laws they are black. The counties that have the strictest local gun laws are mostly black. These laws are wanted by the people. We have preemption laws on the books yet no one complains about local laws that go beyond state law. If you polled members of any black church in an urban area they would be anti-gun by a huge percentage. In rural areas were police response is slow everyone wants a gun, regardless of race, creed or color. Violent crime rates are much lower in rural areas as well. We all know why violent crime rates are much lower in rural areas.

I would have to say at this point gun control is not racist. Gun control is a class issue in NC at this point in time. No one cares if poor people have a gun at home. They just don't want the poor to be able to carry a gun in NC.

Old 09-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
At one point gun control was intentionally racist. Here in NC we have stacks of Jim Crow laws on the books that we all have to abide by now. Our purchase permit and concealed carry permits are based on Jim Crow laws that give the local sheriff power to arbitrarily deny anyone a purchase permit. We have recourse in the courts if someone is denied a carry permit. In some counties three letters of recommendation are required to apply for a carry permit. Everyone that writes a letter of recommendation must live in the county where you are applying for the permit.

The Jim Crow laws saved us from the Brady laws but we still have to jump through hoops to get a permit. Now days when you see someone on TV or in the media crying out for stricter gun control laws they are black. The counties that have the strictest local gun laws are mostly black. These laws are wanted by the people. We have preemption laws on the books yet no one complains about local laws that go beyond state law. If you polled members of any black church in an urban area they would be anti-gun by a huge percentage. In rural areas were police response is slow everyone wants a gun, regardless of race, creed or color. Violent crime rates are much lower in rural areas as well. We all know why violent crime rates are much lower in rural areas.

I would have to say at this point gun control is not racist. Gun control is a class issue in NC at this point in time. No one cares if poor people have a gun at home. They just don't want the poor to be able to carry a gun in NC.
That is sad I live in ma and luckily we don't have any of those laws that I know of.

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 09-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #108
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7337 Times on 4253 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Having known quite a few libertarians in my life, I have a difficult time using the words "intelligent" and "libertarian" in the same discussion.

It's nice to dream of the world as we think it should be, but we've still got to live in the world that is.

Remember the serenity prayer:

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the coursge to change the things I can,
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE"
I am not sure if many are aware of the fact that libertarianism is a very broadly defined ideology. There are plenty of morons who call themselves libertarian, but are in truth more liberal or conservative than what I would call a "true" libertarian. Just like the Democrats, Republicans, unaffiliated liberals and conservatives there are the fringe groups who seem to get the most attention yet at the same time are not and cannot speak for the majority of libertarians.

You will notice that I am referring to "libertarians" with a lower-case "l", this is to differentiate between people with the political ideology, not members of the Libertarian Party. Two different things.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #109
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4722 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am not sure if many are aware of the fact that libertarianism is a very broadly defined ideology. There are plenty of morons who call themselves libertarian, but are in truth more liberal or conservative than what I would call a "true" libertarian. Just like the Democrats, Republicans, unaffiliated liberals and conservatives there are the fringe groups who seem to get the most attention yet at the same time are not and cannot speak for the majority of libertarians.

You will notice that I am referring to "libertarians" with a lower-case "l", this is to differentiate between people with the political ideology, not members of the Libertarian Party. Two different things.
You're probably correct. I guess that I have had the unfortunate experience of having known about a dozen folks that called themselves "libertarians," and they were pretty far out radical.

One fellow actually tried to run for congress as a libertarian, but couldn't gather enough signatures on his petition.

His platform called for elimination of the military, because he believed that if we left the rest of the world alone they would leave us alone. He also wanted to eliminate all imports and exports. He would have liked to eliminate all controls on all drugs. I could go on.

The rest weren't quite as bad, but most of them agreed that driver's licenses and school vaccinations were unconstitutional, and the only legal, constitutional law enforcement authority was the elected county sheriff..

I guess these folks have made me very wary of anyone who calls himself a libertarian.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

You're probably correct. I guess that I have had the unfortunate experience of having known about a dozen folks that called themselves "libertarians," and they were pretty far out radical.

One fellow actually tried to run for congress as a libertarian, but couldn't gather enough signatures on his petition.

His platform called for elimination of the military, because he believed that if we left the rest of the world alone they would leave us alone. He also wanted to eliminate all imports and exports. He would have liked to eliminate all controls on all drugs. I could go on.

The rest weren't quite as bad, but most of them agreed that driver's licenses and school vaccinations were unconstitutional, and the only legal, constitutional law enforcement authority was the elected county sheriff..

I guess these folks have made me very wary of anyone who calls himself a libertarian.
I am an actual Libertarian as I would say my political party is the Libertarian party, my views would not be saying that we should not have a military, mine would be that we should not start wars unless they are actually necessary, such as WWII, and end the wars in the middle east. However I do not believe in the war on drugs because the government should not tell anyone what to do, but if they think they will get any government benefits, then they are crazy. I don't believe in gun control. I believe that gay marriage should be legal. I also don't believe in deficit spending, or government benefits except those to Veterans. And I don't believe in income tax. My views would be more along the lines of Ron Paul and Gary Johnson.

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY
People Like This