Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Is gun control racist?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5077 Times on 2888 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

Default Is gun control racist?

More than 80 percent of violent crimes in this countery are commited by two minority groups that comprise less than 25 percent of the population.

Are gun control laws designed to protect minority criminals from their intended victims?

What do you think? Is support for gun control a form of racism?

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I guess it depends on who is defining "racist."
Would defending oneself against a criminal who is a minority be considered racist. If you're part of Rev Sharpton's entourage, that would make perfect sense, if there is money to made.
My opinion? Hollow points are colorblind.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
People Like This 
Old 07-28-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
More than 80 percent of violent crimes in this countery are commited by two minority groups that comprise less than 25 percent of the population.

Are gun control laws designed to protect minority criminals from their intended victims?

What do you think? Is support for gun control a form of racism?
Actually yes. The origianl gun control laws originated in the South following the Civil War and were intended to keep guns out of the hands of the freed slaves.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

People Like This 
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8314 Times on 3594 Posts
Likes Given: 1278

At various times, the "wrong hands" have been non-noblemen, Indians, Blacks, Irish, etc etc etc. In the South prior to the Civil War, it was a serious crime to permit a black man to be armed.

So from a historical perspective, yes, they were racist in nature.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Actually yes. The origianl gun control laws originated in the South following the Civil War and were intended to keep guns out of the hands of the freed slaves.
Yes, this is true. I think the OP Is questioning whether gun control nowadays is racist against NON minorities. It feels that way for sure. It seems that non minorities are the ones restricted, since minority criminals don't go through the same channels to get guns as non minority, and minority LAC's do. When you add this to the fact that an overwhelming percentage of violent crime is committed BY minorities (with a huge number having criminal past records), against non minorities (who have to jump through legal hoops to lawfully defend themselves), then yes, gun laws are extremely racist.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Not to the BAD GUYS. Law doesn't carry weight to them, only Superior Force.

I relinquish my time to the Honorable Gentleman from Arizona;

"Weapons compound man's power to achieve; they amplify the capabilities of both the good man and the bad, and to exactly the same degree, having no will of their own. Thus we must regard them as servants, not masters - and good servants to good men. Without them, man is diminished, and his opportunities to fulfill his destiny are lessened. An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
— Col. Jeff Cooper

“One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that ‘violence begets violence.’ I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure—and in some cases I have—that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.”
– Cooper vs. Terrorism

We continue to be exasperated by the view, apparently gaining momentum in certain circles, that armed robbery is okay as long as nobody gets hurt! The proper solution to armed robbery is a dead robber, on the scene.
Jeff Cooper

“The media insist that crime is the major concern of the American public today. In this connection they generally push the point that a disarmed society would be a crime-free society. They will not accept the truth that if you take all the guns off the street you still will have a crime problem, whereas if you take the criminals off the street you cannot have a gun problem.”

“One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not agree that ‘violence begets violence.’ I told him that it is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure—and in some cases I have—that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.”
– Cooper vs. Terrorism

“One cannot legislate the maniacs off the street… these maniacs can only be shut down by an armed citizenry. Indeed bad things can happen in nations where the citizenry is armed, but not as bad as those which seem to be threatening our disarmed citizenry in this country at this time.”

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 07-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5077 Times on 2888 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

It just seems to me that we have three groups in this country.

One minority group can do no wrong, even if they commit murder.
(The only exception is being a conservative)

The second can do no wrong unless they come into conflict with the first.

Then there is the majority. Whites, conservative members of the first group and legal immigrants who are automatically wrong if they come in to conflict with either the first or second group.

I am choosing my words carefully, hoping to avoid offending anyone, but I hope my points are clear.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

People Like This 
Old 07-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
It just seems to me that we have three groups in this country.

One minority group can do no wrong, even if they commit murder.
(The only exception is being a conservative)

The second can do no wrong unless they come into conflict with the first.

Then there is the majority. Whites, conservative members of the first group and legal immigrants who are automatically wrong if they come in to conflict with either the first or second group.

I am choosing my words carefully, hoping to avoid offending anyone, but I hope my points are clear.
Those are just rules laid down by idiots who care about political correctness. No thinking person objects to discussing or arguing based on facts.

As for your question - is gun control racist - on the face, it is not. It does not apply only to one race and not to another. But under the surface, the end result might seem to indicate it is. The majority of folks of African descent live in urban centers. Those are the areas most likely to have strict gun control and they are the areas that see the most violent crime. Most violent crimes are perpetrated by black folks on black folks. So is deliberately preventing good, decent black folks the means to defend themselves in their best interests, or is it a method legislators use to reduce the population of African Americans?

(Tangential note: one might ask the same question of abortion, given the disproportionate rate of child murders by black moms.)

Your question is precisely the sort of question that should be asked by a liberty-loving American running for office because there is no way to defend the argument for gun control and not appear racist, using the rules of engagement idiots who embrace political correctness routinely use. Unfortunately, the handlers of those running for office would never permit such a question to be asked, and no candidate with the balls to force the issue would be allowed to rise to be a real contender in a high-stakes campaign.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19552 Times on 11097 Posts
Likes Given: 49205

gun control i believe was used as a form a racism to exclude certain groups of people from owning firearms, as they might become empowered and rise up from tyranny and oppression. the voice you use carries more authority when you are armed, as you will be ignored when unarmed. pretty much what Teddy Roosevelt said, " talk softly and carry a big stick, you will go far"

Hitler himself used gun control to disarm the the Jewish population before WW2. they were hearded like lambs to the slaughter because they had no means to defend themselves. it is easy to conquer another group of people when one is armed and the other isn't.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #10

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Nothing racist about gun control if it means keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. "Criminal" is not a protected class. I don't want a black criminal, a Mexican criminal, an Asian criminal, a white criminal, a male criminal, a female criminal, a poor criminal, a rich criminal, a Jewish criminal, an Irish criminal, an Italian criminal or a Greek criminal to have a gun and if somehow an ant committed a felony I don't want that ant carrying a gun.

When it comes to gun control I will be the first to admit I'm very prejudice. I don't like criminals at all.

Now if you have a law abiding citizen from every race and social class named above I have no problem with them legally owning a gun.