Gun control failed in congress. It's happening anyway - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Gun control failed in congress. It's happening anyway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 919 Times on 579 Posts
Likes Given: 4839

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
Here are a few forms of Acceptible Gun Control that none of us seem to mind:

1) Age limits on purchasing firearms.
Old enough to be issued a weapon then you should be old enough to buy one.
Agree with both. However, if civilian, some sort of proficiency requirement should be required (after all, the military has to show proficiency )

2) Felons being barred from owning or possessing firearms.
Whether someone has served their time and paid their debt or not. If not then keep them in prison until they do. Otherwise they should be seen as a citizen with same rights
Do you consider someone that brutally murdered and raped someone "paying their debt" after serving anything but a life sentence? And, if so, would you be okay with this type of person being able to legally own/carry a gun?

3) Folks with specific mental problems being barred from owning or possessing firearms.
Who is going to say who is what?
I have issues with this as well. There are too many "schools of thought" when it comes to psychology/psychiatry. Most professionals in the field can't even agree on what causes certain mental health issues, let alone whether they make someone a danger to themselves or others. I absolutely don't trust the government to decide what mental health issues can bar someone from owning or possessing firearms.

4) Requiring attendence in a Firearm Training Class or providing a DD214 before getting a Carry Permit.
Any curtailing of the 2a is a violation of the Constitution.
Doesn't really curtail anything. He said "before getting a carry permit", which is actually a good idea. Think of all the "Glock leg" that could have been prevented had they had safety classes.

This is my personal one; buying or selling a firearm from or to someone that I hardly know (Gun Shows) or even some family members, I am getting a background check.
And you are able to do that how?

Sell to who you want, If you are selling to an FFL then it will be dealt wit has such. But private sales there's n need to get the check. If you don't trust them then don't sell the weapon to them.

This is about all that I can come up with since I have not had the USDA not recommended amount of coffee just yet.

Feel free to yell and scream if you like.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 09-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2305 Times on 1372 Posts
Likes Given: 1240

I use the VA for medical care and so far this issue has not come up.
If it does I will simply tell them it is none of their business!
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

I've been asked about guns in the home at every doctors office I visit. I'm a LEO so of course I have to answer yes. But when they start asking how many and how are they stored that's what hacks me off. I only got asked that question once. And I told them that our office policy on weapons storage was classified and they could feel free to call the office and ask them about it. I was not happy.

Some states do allow parental supervision of alcohol consumption. Mine is one of them. I am a home brewer and my little girl loves to help me. She gets to taste all the drinks we make and she is quite the critic. I am teaching her to appreciate it in its proper place. Good habits start in early childhood. As far as kids having firearms is concerned, my brothers and I started hunting by ourselves on family property at 12. We were raised to be responsible with firearms and so we were.

I am against any and all federal intrusion into the firearms arena. The ONLY thing I am in favor of is a national criminal database and ONLY for those who have committed violent crimes. It should be a simple license check like we perform on the side of the road for warrants. 1 phone call with a yes or no answer. And absolutely NO record kept of who purchased what firearm. But the government would pervert that into something over reaching as well.
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #44
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
I've been asked about guns in the home at every doctors office I visit. I'm a LEO so of course I have to answer yes. But when they start asking how many and how are they stored that's what hacks me off. I only got asked that question once. And I told them that our office policy on weapons storage was classified and they could feel free to call the office and ask them about it. I was not happy.

Some states do allow parental supervision of alcohol consumption. Mine is one of them. I am a home brewer and my little girl loves to help me. She gets to taste all the drinks we make and she is quite the critic. I am teaching her to appreciate it in its proper place. Good habits start in early childhood. As far as kids having firearms is concerned, my brothers and I started hunting by ourselves on family property at 12. We were raised to be responsible with firearms and so we were.

I am against any and all federal intrusion into the firearms arena. The ONLY thing I am in favor of is a national criminal database and ONLY for those who have committed violent crimes. It should be a simple license check like we perform on the side of the road for warrants. 1 phone call with a yes or no answer. And absolutely NO record kept of who purchased what firearm. But the government would pervert that into something over reaching as well.
IMO, i think the parents should be the ones involved with making decisions about when their children are old enough or responsible enough to drink or handle guns under their parents supervision, and not any state or federal government agency. that age can vary from child to child. some becoming more mature at being able to handle the responsblity earlier than others.

there is already too much government involvement and intrusion into our lives and telling us what is FOOG nad that of our children. what we need is less intrusion and not more.

doctors need to limit themselves to fixing what ails the paitient and not getting into political matters and personal decisions of what a paitiet owns or doesn't own. many times doctors have told me i needed to make certian lifestyle changes and that's fine. but certain things are personal and private, and my gun ownership and the number of them is a private thing. there are only three people that know the exact number of firearms i own, those are my wife, my father and my brother. the reason my father and brother know are simply if that something were to happen to the wife and i at the same time, i want either of them to be able to take possession and secure them and that they will be taken care of. those provisions are also in my will. in the same order, my wife, my father and my brother. in the event of my death or mine and the wifes, i consider anyone else taking possession of my firearms to be theft an will be handled accordingly through my lawyer.
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #45

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

DeltaF, you make some good points.
Now, could someone shed some light on WHY doctors are asking this question? Under what circumstances are they asking? (Flu complaint? Balls hurt? Shot yourself?) I think there are some medical people here, (RNCindy, DRFotball?). Maybe they could shed some light. This makes no sense to me. It'd be like your mechanic asking when was the last time you went to the bathroom. I ask because while I have never run across this, my wife goes to the doctor's a lot more than me. I want to find out if she's been asked, and to ask her please not to say anything. Otherwise, I'm afraid she'd tell everything she knows. But, before I do, I'd like to have more info, so she doesn't think I'm nuts. (She already does, to a certain degree.)

Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #46
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

IMO, i think the parents should be the ones involved with making decisions about when their children are old enough or responsible enough to drink or handle guns under their parents supervision, and not any state or federal government agency. that age can vary from child to child. some becoming more mature at being able to handle the responsblity earlier than others.

there is already too much government involvement and intrusion into our lives and telling us what is FOOG nad that of our children. what we need is less intrusion and not more.

doctors need to limit themselves to fixing what ails the paitient and not getting into political matters and personal decisions of what a paitiet owns or doesn't own. many times doctors have told me i needed to make certian lifestyle changes and that's fine. but certain things are personal and private, and my gun ownership and the number of them is a private thing. there are only three people that know the exact number of firearms i own, those are my wife, my father and my brother. the reason my father and brother know are simply if that something were to happen to the wife and i at the same time, i want either of them to be able to take possession and secure them and that they will be taken care of. those provisions are also in my will. in the same order, my wife, my father and my brother. in the event of my death or mine and the wifes, i consider anyone else taking possession of my firearms to be theft an will be handled accordingly through my lawyer.
I agree, there is too much intrusion on how a parent raises there child. Parenting should be left to the parents.

And as far as a doctor asking about a patients firearms, there are certain things that are private between a patient and a doctor, gun ownership is not one of them. Gun ownership is private between someone and those whom he or she chooses to tell. If someone chooses not to tell the doctor, then it isn't the doctor's business.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #47

Liked 4796 Times on 2682 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The resident Left Wing Democrats on the forum support Obama's push for "Common Sense" gun control. The only reason Obama has not hurt their freedom to own firearms is all those Republicans and Lock step NRA guys who shut him down.
Now they want to pass a bill stopping anyone with a mental health issue from buying firearms. Sounds good. How long before you must have a mental evaluation before you can own a firearm? That will follow after the next shootings.
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #48
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9189 Times on 4966 Posts
Likes Given: 19354

Patient: "My stomach hurts."
Doctor: "Are there any guns in your home?"
Patient: "Would that help?"
image-2970006726.jpg  
People Like This 
Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #49
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
The resident Left Wing Democrats on the forum support Obama's push for "Common Sense" gun control. The only reason Obama has not hurt their freedom to own firearms is all those Republicans and Lock step NRA guys who shut him down.
Now they want to pass a bill stopping anyone with a mental health issue from buying firearms. Sounds good. How long before you must have a mental evaluation before you can own a firearm? That will follow after the next shootings.
i think we all agree that people with certain mental ilness' don't or shouldn't have possession or access to firearms. but in no way am i comfortable with any government agency of any sorts overseeing this and determining who can or can't have them based on their recommendations.

another point is that when they have a government agency overseeing or making decisions like this, that people that truly need help will not seek the help they need, out of fear of losing their gun rights.

we all go through mental issues at times. i went through a period of depression years ago. mine was a chemical imbalance in the brain, corrected with a drug that i only needed for a couple of years. i was not suicidal or psychotic or dangerous, just wasn't feeling content or happy with my life at the time and some other things that were going on. had i been in fear of being put on some list or reported because i sought out help, i might not have seeked the help i needed. i went through a bout of depression going through my first divorce and was very upset and not quite myself. thankfully i had some very understanding family members and friends who guided me through that rough spot and i recovered quite well.

IOW's a doctor and paitient relationship should be kept private and in no way, be the privy of any government agency to be used to restrict the rights of that paitient's gun ownership or possession.
nitestalker Likes This 
Old 09-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #50
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Requiring attendence in a Firearm Training Class or providing a DD214 before getting a Carry Permit.

Any curtailing of the 2a is a violation of the Constitution.

Nothing stated in item number 4 prevents anyone from possessing a firearm.
Really? Because I see having to pay a fee and take a class as an infringement on my rights. I CANNOT afford the class at this point in time, so I cannot legally carry right now. So number 4 is preventing me from BEARING a firearm. There are other people on this forum who cannot conceal carry for that very reason.

Quote:
This is my personal one; buying or selling a firearm from or to someone that I hardly know (Gun Shows) or even some family members, I am getting a background check.

And you are able to do that how?
Sell to who you want, If you are selling to an FFL then it will be dealt wit has such. But private sales there's n need to get the check. If you don't trust them then don't sell the weapon to them.

Simple, I would approach an FFL at the Gun Show and ask them to run the back ground check and put the cost of the back ground check into the cost of the weapon that I am selling.
And what would this do? Criminals don't obey the law, so this does nothing. Requiring this is also a violation of our rights. I have the right to buy a gun how I want, when I want, and where I want. If I don't trust someone, then I will either go through an FFL by choice, or back out of the deal.
People Like This