Gun control failed in congress. It's happening anyway - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun control failed in congress. It's happening anyway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

Yep, while folks were buying into the "Obama is going to take your guns" crap being spouted by the far outers like Alex Jones, gunshow promoters, online ammunition sales gurus, mom and pop gunstores and others: Gun control became a stark reality in several states, including NY, CA, MD and CO. Gunowners in CO had their heads in their butts last election when the legalization of dope referendum came up. The example of CA should have been the tip-off that pro-dope politicians are also anti-gun. As it were the Democrats took control the CO house 37-28.

Maybe, just maybe, the pro-gunners in CO can take it back. There is no hope at all for NY, CA and MD.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #22

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post

Simple, I would approach an FFL at the Gun Show and ask them to run the back ground check and put the cost of the back ground check into the cost of the weapon that I am selling.
I don't think this is legal/possible. If an FFL calls NCIC for a BGC they are given an approval/denial number. If ATF sees that in an audit and there is no A&D info it could spell trouble. I'm not an FFL, so don't take my info as gospel. C3 or another FFL can correct me if I'm wrong.

The best way IMO would be a simple 1-800 number that is for non-ffls. You call and provide DL number. They either say go or no go. You don't give the type of firearm(long or handgun) because only dealers have to make sure you are 21 to purchase a handgun and you don't give the make, model or serial number. Just a simple yes or no as far as their status to own firearms.

I'm sure the government would say stuff like "we would need lots of money to fund it" and "there would be no record of the transaction". Right now private sales have no record, just like they should be, and FFLs should have no record either but that's for another thread. Most FTF sales are to people you know, so the call wouldn't be made. How many weapons does your average Joe sell to strangers every year? Not many. In that case the number would be called, it's not like the number would be getting a million calls a day, so the funding would be minimal.

My rule of thumb is to only sell to people I know. If I was to sell to a stranger it would be at a gun show(for safety) and I would ask for a DL and CWP. I've only sold to dealers and people I know. I think most of us would accept an anonymous number to get a quick and easy go/no go regarding a private sale IF NEEDED.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2151 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 799

Most of the time I don't want to sell my guns. Most of the time someone wants a gun I have and they make a fat offer. I didn't buy the gun because I wanted to get rid of it.

We didn't really lose anywhere except CO. We lost NY and CA 20 years ago. We haven't lost CO just yet. I can understand the people of CO wanting to end the war on the American people. We have more people in prison than any country on earth. You can lose everything you own over drugs. People are still using them. All prohibition does is create a black market, be it drugs or guns. We should have figured that out with alcohol.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 09-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #24

And to think alcohol took an ammendment to ban it. Drugs were banned with the stroke of a pen, no ammendment. Guns are a right, many places have banned them with no repeal of the 2A or a separate ammendment. What I'm saying is, if it took an ammendment to ban something that isn't a right(alcohol), how can a right(guns) be banned without an ammendment???

Old 09-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If they really wanted to get rid of some stolen firearms currently in circulation, they would make a website to allow people to check a firearms serial number to see if it had been reported stolen before they buy it. This would cost MUCH LESS than many of those #'s and would make it much harder to sell stolen firearms to people other than criminals looking for a disposagun.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #26
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Once we get
an event like
the Kenyan mall
deal, and we will
get one, Katie
Bar The Door.

Last edited by AR10; 09-23-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If they really wanted to get rid of some stolen firearms currently in circulation, they would make a website to allow people to check a firearms serial number to see if it had been reported stolen before they buy it. This would cost MUCH LESS than many of those #'s and would make it much harder to sell stolen firearms to people other than criminals looking for a disposagun.
A stolen database that can be accessed by civilians is a good idea IMO. Only LEOs could add info of course. Currently only LEOs can access the stolen database, why?

Old 09-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
A stolen database that can be accessed by civilians is a good idea IMO. Only LEOs could add info of course. Currently only LEOs can access the stolen database, why?
That is a question the local PD, SD, state AG, and the BATF couldn't really give me a good answer to. "Active investigations only"

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #29

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

Quote:
Do you think not giving a 14 year old a beer that wants one will stop him from getting that beer and having it and 6 others while not under the watchful eye of Mom and Dad? So I'm guessing you know my answer, all things being equal, they just arent. Each "Kid" and each "Parent" must be evaluated on their own merits, each situation is different.
I do know your answer, and I agree with you. BUT, it seems to me that a lot of 14 YO kids aren't mature enough to have either beer or guns. And I think things have changed since the 60's. Even though the law doesn't provide for kids to have alcohol under any circumstances, they can still go out and shoot guns under parents supervision. I for one am thankful that just any kid can't get a gun. And yeah, that should apply to some adults as well....

Old 09-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-101hat View Post
The only one I have a problem with is the doctor asking if you own guns. The reason being is that it can be abused if the doctor is not pro 2nd amendment. They have the ability to rule you mentally disturbed or a danger to others, just because they don't agree with your views.
late last year, when i went to the doctor for a stomach virus, the nurse asked me this question. "did i own firearms? how many did i own?"

my answer, "how much money do you have in your checking account?"

she told me that was none of my business! i told her it was none of her business, whether i owned guns or how many. it had nothing to do with why i was seeing the doctor, and that i considered her questioning an invasion of privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
So, should a 14 YO be able to buy beer, too, with a parents permission?
simple answer, yes and no! no they shouldn't be allowed to walk into a store and buy alcohol, but should be able to consume as long as the parents are present. i believe this to apply to firearms as well. simply put, a parent knows when their child is responsible enough for either and it's much better for them to indulge in either with the parents present, rather than with other minors.