Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun control failed in congress. It's happening anyway

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
Here are a few forms of Acceptible Gun Control that none of us seem to mind:

1) Age limits on purchasing firearms.
Old enough to be issued a weapon then you should be old enough to buy one.]
2) Felons being barred from owning or possessing firearms.
Weather someone has served their time and paid their debt or not. If not then keep them in prison until they do. Otherwise they should be seen as a citizen with same rights
3) Folks with specific mental problems being barred from owning or possessing firearms.
Who is going to say who is what?
4) Requiring attendence in a Firearm Training Class or providing a DD214 before getting a Carry Permit.
Any curtailing of the 2a is a violation of the Constitution.

This is my personal one; buying or selling a firearm from or to someone that I hardly know (Gun Shows) or even some family members, I am getting a background check.
And you are able to do that how?

Sell to who you want, If you are selling to an FFL then it will be dealt wit has such. But private sales there's n need to get the check. If you don't trust them then don't sell the weapon to them.

This is about all that I can come up with since I have not had the USDA not recommended amount of coffee just yet.

Feel free to yell and scream if you like.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5620 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 5981

As a citizen of the "Once Great State of NY", I can attest to the fact that "they are coming after our guns by taking away rights". ONE AT A TIME. Its not fear mongering, its actually happening. NY and Cali are testbeds for what Feral Gun Control will look like once the Feds finally push it through. Kinda like Romneys Pre-Obama Care trial of Gov Mandated Healthcare, work out the bugs on the state level then push it through as tried and tested across the nation.

As one of the 2 most populated states in the union, we have influence at the federal level that few states have. When I say we, I really mean them (Albanizers and HollyWeirds), 95% of my states counties have promised to fight the safe act.

TD, I generally agree with most of your posts but lets not be hasty here, I disagree in part with these

age limits on purchasing without permission of a gaurdian

violent Offenders barred from owning or possessing firearms

3) Folks with specific mental problems being barred from owning or possessing firearms.
Only if those accused have easily accessible legal redress to seek the return of those rights

4) Requiring attendance in a Firearm Training Class or providing a DD214 before getting a Carry Permit.
Its a good idea but not a legal one, fettering is fettering even if its for our own good

Really, were living the "Nobody needs 10 rounds to kill a deer" and "Military weapons are made for the Military" (Andy Coumo) mentality in NY; if your not careful, it will be your law next.

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 09-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #13

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

On page 20 of the osamaobama care act it forbids any medical personal from asking you about your guns, Thanks to Sen. Read.

That out of the way, now just tell me how a background check would of stopped these shootings?

The slime bag at the navy ship yard bought his shotgun legally and had a background check which he passed.

The school shooter's mother bought the guns he used legally that he used, She passed a background check.

The movie shooter passed a background check and walked away with his guns.

The VT shooter bought his guns and a BG was done on him and he passed.

Only one of the guns the VT shooter used was bought at a gun show and it is not clear if he had a BC or not on that one.

A BC is a feel good law that really has not stopped any shootings, because when laws are passed there and many who will go around laws or simply ignore them.

Would a BC of stopped the Boston bomber?

Would a BC of stopped Timothy McVeigh?

Would a BC of stopped the Time Squair Bomber?

Would a BC of stopped Eric Robert Rudolph

Would a BC of stopped Theodore "Ted" Kaczynski

Would a BC of stopped Wade Michael Page, (He had a BC and passed it)

Maybe if we pass a law requiring a BC for bombers we might stop some of the violence.

Background checks have been in place sense the brady bill passed and most people pass the BC. If nothing is recorded to flag someone they pass.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #14

Liked 846 Times on 564 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Quote:
age limits on purchasing without permission of a gaurdian
So, should a 14 YO be able to buy beer, too, with a parents permission?

Old 09-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #15

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Before the GCA of 68 a 10 year old could go into a hardware store and flop own the money and walk out with a gun and ammo, not many even questioned them and we really did have less school shootings and common gang killings before they passed anti-right laws like this one.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM   #16
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5620 Times on 2781 Posts
Likes Given: 5981

Quote:
So, should a 14 YO be able to buy beer, too, with a parents permission?
OK, I will bite on this. Tell me more about this 14 year old who wants a beer.

Is he driving anything after, will he be doing anything dangerous, is he gonna drink till he gets wasted?

Is he responsible, has he been taught right and wrong and acted as he's been taught, has he proven to be trustworthy?

Is his parent responsible enough to watch the amount his kid drinks and limit it if judgement of the kid turns bad?

Do you think not giving a 14 year old a beer that wants one will stop him from getting that beer and having it and 6 others while not under the watchful eye of Mom and Dad? So I'm guessing you know my answer, all things being equal, they just arent. Each "Kid" and each "Parent" must be evaluated on their own merits, each situation is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
On page 20 of the osamaobama care act it forbids any medical personal from asking you about your guns, Thanks to Sen. Read.

That out of the way, now just tell me how a background check would of stopped these shootings?

The slime bag at the navy ship yard bought his shotgun legally and had a background check which he passed.

The school shooter's mother bought the guns he used legally that he used, She passed a background check.

The movie shooter passed a background check and walked away with his guns.

The VT shooter bought his guns and a BG was done on him and he passed.

Only one of the guns the VT shooter used was bought at a gun show and it is not clear if he had a BC or not on that one.

A BC is a feel good law that really has not stopped any shootings, because when laws are passed there and many who will go around laws or simply ignore them.

Would a BC of stopped the Boston bomber?

Would a BC of stopped Timothy McVeigh?

Would a BC of stopped the Time Squair Bomber?

Would a BC of stopped Eric Robert Rudolph

Would a BC of stopped Theodore "Ted" Kaczynski

Would a BC of stopped Wade Michael Page, (He had a BC and passed it)

Maybe if we pass a law requiring a BC for bombers we might stop some of the violence.

Background checks have been in place sense the brady bill passed and most people pass the BC. If nothing is recorded to flag someone they pass.
This deserves about 10 likes and a few high fives! That which they seek to remove from the choices will not prevent tragedies. They are called that for a reason.
trag·e·dy
noun \ˈtra-jə-dē\

: a very bad event that causes great sadness and often involves someone's death

: a very sad, unfortunate, or upsetting situation : something that causes strong feelings of sadness or regret

: a play, movie, etc., that is serious and has a sad ending (such as the death of the main character)

1,000 violent crimes happen in our nation every single day that include very few "Gun Crimes", Less than 1% if you include child and animal abuse, Assault, Rape and all forms of thuggery. They wish to limit "Violence committed with firearms" but that is a pretty tiny target that will encumber literally a hundred million citizens that pose no deadly threat to nobody ever.

At the same moment they are wasting their time and spending hundreds of our $$$Billions$$$$ to limit "Tragedies that kill dozens";

Gangs bangers stabbed and beat 100 of their rivals with baseball bats,

Druglords and their missives killed hundreds more with their unregulated and untaxed products,

Prostitutes living off the underbelly of society with the same tax and regulatory status as drug dealers gave 1000 clients aids and were beaten if they didnt hand over all the money after they did their job,

Terrorists killed hundreds more with items not covered in any gun laws proposed,

Hundreds of our sons and daughters are being sold as sex slaves in foreign lands

A hundred thousand minority and non babies will be tossed in recycling containers.

In the last 10 years, we willingly sent 100,000 of our young Men and Women to foreign lands to have thousands of them sent back in boxes and 50,000 of them have injuries that will never heal!

So lets see if we can prevent crazy and evil people from committing crimes against 10's of people at the same damn time half a million citizens of this country are being violently attacked, injured and murdered that have nothing to do with guns!

Last edited by WebleyFosbery38; 09-23-2013 at 11:22 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1749 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 346

While there are many at the national level who would jump at any chance to [attempt to] grab all of our firearms, the beauty of the 2 Senators from every state feature of our Congress keeps much of this at bay. Plus, firearms ownership is enjoyed by many who happen to be Democrats, and the NRA provides a good lobby, demonized as it is by the left

Be more concerned about the state you live in. If you look at CT, NY, CA and CO - plus others - you see that the states have a lot more to say about your gun ownership than the feds have over the years. Plus it is a heck of a lot easier to make your voice heard.

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #18

Liked 391 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

What's happening in CA and NY is not going to pass at the Federal level. While Obama is making some noise again I can't tell if he's deluded enough to try it (and I almost hope he is) or if he is still pandering to his base because he is most comfortable in campaign mode.

However, gun control failed spectacularly earlier this year and Dems are still licking their wounds. Now you have the Colorado recall on top of it. Oopsie. One of the state senators recalled was even in a "safe" Democratic district.

That hasn't stopped them from squawking about it. As I posted elsewhere, I almost hope they try it again. It makes them look impotent and it would be great for the 2014 elections.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

My Firearm Reviews -
Beretta U22 Neos
Magnum Research Baby Eagle II .45 ACP

People Like This 
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1338 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 3322

Quoting DrumJunkie
My response

Originally Posted by TDS92A
Here are a few forms of Acceptible Gun Control that none of us seem to mind:

Old enough to be issued a weapon then you should be old enough to buy one.]

Good statement, however, the same could be said about alcohol. Old enough to enlist, old enough to drink. Neither of which are going to change any time soon.

Weather someone has served their time and paid their debt or not. If not then keep them in prison until they do. Otherwise they should be seen as a citizen with same rights

I can agree with this if the felony commited was on the order of a "White Collar" crime with the sentence paid in full to include probation.

Who is going to say who is what?

First a Recognized Psychologist and second a Judge and or Jury.

4) Requiring attendence in a Firearm Training Class or providing a DD214 before getting a Carry Permit.

Any curtailing of the 2a is a violation of the Constitution.

Nothing stated in item number 4 prevents anyone from possessing a firearm.

This is my personal one; buying or selling a firearm from or to someone that I hardly know (Gun Shows) or even some family members, I am getting a background check.

And you are able to do that how?
Sell to who you want, If you are selling to an FFL then it will be dealt wit has such. But private sales there's n need to get the check. If you don't trust them then don't sell the weapon to them.

Simple, I would approach an FFL at the Gun Show and ask them to run the back ground check and put the cost of the back ground check into the cost of the weapon that I am selling.

This is about all that I can come up with since I have not had the USDA not recommended amount of coffee just yet.

Feel free to yell and scream if you like.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1593 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I read the list and I find no fault with the largest part of it. The whole premise of the article is intended for people to read the title and presume that some great gun grab has been foisted on us by the president. They depend on the tweet generation not reading the two articles to access the article accurately.

In the five years the President has been in office, I have not lost any gun rights, and I challenge anyone here to come up with any Federal legislation that has made the purchase of firearms of ammunition more difficult.

If you are upset that the President has tried to make it more difficult for felons or the mentally incompetent from legally accessing firearms, so be it. Personally I am fine with either having a more difficult time trying to arm themselves.

The "slippery-slope" and "domino theories" as applied to the present subject, lost credibility with me during the build-up to the Vietnam war.

When you get all the sand out of your ears you will realize there are already MORE THAN ENOUGH laws on the books which restrict those 'undesirable' people( along with the desirable people, US) you list from 'legally' obtaining guns and THEY DO NOT AND NEVER WILL NOT STOP THEM so why would you or any other AMERICAN support any further attempt to 'limit or restrict' our RIGHT to be armed. UNLESS you support the progressive agenda based on the belief that 'I am better than you therefore I know what is best for you'!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 09-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.
People Like This