gun control
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > gun control

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default gun control

Hey I'm a gun owner from Utah, also I'm in school and I have been asked to write about gun control. Does anyone have any info? I need both sides of the opinions. Also, I need to interview a reputable gun expert. Any ideas of who I could talk to?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2014, 04:32 AM   #2

Liked 304 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Maybe think about how 'gun control' is going to make criminals obey laws.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:49 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

that is a good thought, ha because I know criminals are still criminals. but that is not how others see it

Old 03-08-2014, 06:17 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ask who gun control will control.....law obiding gun owners or criminals

Check the statistics on gun violence, etc.

Snoop through the forums, you will find tons of information

Old 03-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Talk about how other nations used gun control in the past to control or destroy populations of people....Nazis, Chinese, British etc...

"Feuer Frei!"

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 03-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6574 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

To put it simply, gun control just doesn't work. Look at Chicago, LA, New York City, and Washington DC. All EXTREMELY anti gun. Their violent crime rates are horrible. Now look at the rest of America. MUCH better by comparison. If you look at the violent crime rate in the UK, you'll see it's actually 3-4 times greater than ours. Despite them having extremely strict gun control laws.

In the last 20 years, gun ownership has skyrocketed. Millions upon millions of guns have been sold. More and more pro gun laws have been passed in most of the United states. More people conceal carry guns now more than ever. In that 20 years, the crime rate has also fallen greatly. The few exceptions are anti gun states. Specifically their major cities. (as said previously).

Here's a few really good infographics for you.

gun_infographic_1.jpg   gun_infographic_2.jpg   gun_infographic_3.jpg   gun_infographic_4.jpg   gun_infographic_5.jpg  

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-08-2014 at 07:57 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #7

Liked 1797 Times on 929 Posts
Likes Given: 1362

"Lies, damm lies & statistics." Really!

You have to take a good hard look at the data when anyone throws numbers around. For 'children's' shooting for instance. The CDC counts you as a child until the age of 19. Something like 84% of children involved in shootings are by 16 to 19 year olds involved in drug related gang violence, not young children playing with someone's firearm. Most of the rest are 'adults' shooting kids, either by negligence or on purpose.

It is true the violent crime rate went down during the Assault Weapons Ban. It is also true it was going down before the ban and has been continuing to go down since the ban was rescinded.

Over 97% of gun violence was done with handguns. The 3% that was left is divided up between ALL long guns, shotguns, bolt action rifles & semi-autos. Of the smaller percentage that was done by semi-autos, I'd bet an even smaller percentage was done with 'Assault Weapons'.

Last edited by Vincine; 03-08-2014 at 09:56 AM.
People Like This 
Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2987 Times on 1721 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

I don't know what angle you are looking at, but ....

A gun is an inanimate object that, by itself, cannot function. The operator of this inanimate object should be what is controlled. We have laws in effect that limit who can operate a gun, but these laws are not obeyed by the criminal sort.

Rarely does the gun turn to the criminal. The criminal turns to the gun. And controlling an inanimate object is not the answer to reducing crime (if that is what the end means is to be).

Or, for best control of a handgun, use two hands.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This 
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #9

Liked 803 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 1657

I recommend you watch this quick video. I personally couldn't have said it better than this man;

Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

I've removed a number of posts good and bad that were just argumentative and served no purpose over all. Texas woodworker surmised every true fact there is on gun control vs gun ownership in america and around the world for the most part. I don't want this devolving into political arguments.

As for the op your going to have a very difficult or impossible time finding any real study that shows gun control works anywhere its tried as every argument for it is nuh uh school ground type stuff which typically gets threads locked or deleted. All evidence shows gun control is a direct factor in increased levels of violence in places where rule of law is well established. In places like russia korea north and south japan britain a lot of asian countries its really hard to tell what stats are true since media and crimstatistics are controlled and censored by their govermemts.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 03-08-2014 at 12:56 PM.
People Like This 
Closed Thread