Gun confiscation during Hurricane Katrina - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun confiscation during Hurricane Katrina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #11
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1443 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
My wife was born and raised in N.O.

When she was a child, de Lesseps Morrison was mayor. Owned and operated by "Silver Dollar Sam" Corolla of the mafia. (Morrison was later appointed ambassador the the OAS, by Jimmy "Cahta" and helped in the Panama Canal giveaway.) Things were bad.

Then Moon Landrieu (Sen, Mary Landrieu's father) was elected, and he made Morrison look like a boy scout.

They've gone down hill ever since.

Do I feel any sympathy for the people that elected Morrison, Landrieu, Morial, and Nagan??? Hell no! They dug their own cesspool, let them wallow in it.
However, you have to ask yourself anytime a corrupt politician takes office if he got there legitimately or was the vote also corrupt? It's a chicken/egg argument, but you have to realize that if government is corrupt, the people may never have got the politician they voted for.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Yup, I may get blown off the hill but I will never get washed off it!

Katrina turned a buddy of mine from a lifelong Liberal to a semi conservative with over 50 guns in a very short time. I remember him asking me about the confiscations in Nola and saying WTF????? When he realized the promise of Uncle Sugar saving the day was as weak as the gravity on the moon, he armed himself and never looked back. Since then he's moved further right than many of my conservative friends.

I have/had a few life long friends that went the same route for similar reason.

Ex-Liberals that saw what was happening to America and decided to do something about it, or did they.

One individual,a friend for over 35 years(My son is even named after him), woke up and decided he needed to learn about and own firearms. Over the course of 3 years he purchased several handguns, ARs in various calibers, shotguns and bolt action rifles, he even got his permit to carry. I spend hours and days with him and his firearms teaching him and tuning his weapons, and I mean hours/days.

One day he shows up at my house to pick up one of his ARs that I installed a free floating handgaurd on. The POS had an Obama bumper sticker on his truck. This was just before the 2012 election.

We got into a discussion about the 2nd Amendment, Obama and the Democrats and he agreed with everything I said. "Why do you think I want all these guns and ammo"? he asked. I said, "then why the bumper sticker" and "why the support for the very thing you are concerned about"?

Answer:

"I will never vote for a Republican no matter what, I can't, they are against the workin man and I'm a workin man." "If it wasn't for the Democrats there would be no good paying jobs".

I cased up his gun gave him all his other parts and pieces and said good bye, don't come back.

My point, just because your friends and neighbors, talk the talk, doesn't mean they bring that to the voting booth.

Last edited by mseric; 05-12-2014 at 03:03 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Wrong..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
A lot of people who lost guns after Katrina never came back to claim them. Most people who could leave New Orleans took their guns with them. If you have ever been to NO you would not leave your guns during a hurricane evacuation. You know everything in town would be looted before they let you back in the city.

After Katrina a lot of the looting was more survival than trying to get something for personal gain. Other than than the Walmart that was looted most of the looting was done by NOPD. Very few people other than NOPD had a running vehicle to carry away the goods. The only cars that were not flooded were in parking decks or out of town.
The cops took every gun they could. Including the guns from pawn shops and stores. 90% left with stolen guns and cars never to be heard from again.............I sat on my porch with a 12 gauge loaded...........The cops were non existant., or the looters.............Not if but when.............. My hats off to the National Gaurd here in the parrish..................
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

a 12 gauge would be good for NOPD

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1443 Times on 760 Posts
Likes Given: 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post

Ex-Liberals that saw what was happening to America and decided to do something about it, or did they.

One individual,a friend for over 35 years(My son is even named after him), woke up and decided he needed to learn... [SNIP]

My point, just because your friends and neighbors, talk the talk, doesn't mean they bring that to the voting booth.
Mseric, that took real guts to end a friendship that long over principals. I probably would've asked him for proof of that statement and, when he couldn't provide statistical evidence of it, bombarded him with facts. However, I like to get into those long, drawn out arguments!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 PM   #16

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
I cased up his gun gave him all his other parts and pieces and said good bye, don't come back.
That's harsh, to end a 35 year friendship over political views. I hope I have the good sense, if the time ever comes, NOT to go down that road. There ARE things in life more important than guns, you know...
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
That's harsh, to end a 35 year friendship over political views. I hope I have the good sense, if the time ever comes, NOT to go down that road. There ARE things in life more important than guns, you know...
Hey, in my book if a person don't share the same political views as I do they are most likely towards the left and with that said, the person needs to say off my welcome Mat.

I do not associate with libtards, 35 years or not when it gets sour you spit it out and I can't blame him.

We have a couple of Obama lovers on my mothers side of the family. during get togethers they keep the pie hole closed, they know better

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #18
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3380 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default Gun confiscation during Hurricane Katrina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post

One individual,a friend for over 35 years(My son is even named after him), woke up and decided he needed to learn about and own firearms. Over the course of 3 years he purchased several handguns, ARs in various calibers, shotguns and bolt action rifles, he even got his permit to carry. I spend hours and days with him and his firearms teaching him and tuning his weapons, and I mean hours/days.

One day he shows up at my house to pick up one of his ARs that I installed a free floating handgaurd on. The POS had an Obama bumper sticker on his truck. This was just before the 2012 election.

We got into a discussion about the 2nd Amendment, Obama and the Democrats and he agreed with everything I said. "Why do you think I want all these guns and ammo"? he asked. I said, "then why the bumper sticker" and "why the support for the very thing you are concerned about"?

Answer:

"I will never vote for a Republican no matter what, I can't, they are against the workin man and I'm a workin man." "If it wasn't for the Democrats there would be no good paying jobs".

Thats too Bad. I was starting to like the story. I'm sure a lot of people felt that way at one time or another. Whats also sad is people confuse Politics with "Right and Wrong." Politics do not work off of "Right or Wrong," They are political policies. If that's really what he believes, then the "battle" for him and trying to "get some sense" into him is already lost.

You May see Bumper Stickers on the back of my Escape, but none of them support a Political Candidate.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-12-2014 at 08:24 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1374 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
There is Nothing more important than this Country and the Constitution, nothing.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:06 PM   #20

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Quote:
There is Nothing more important than this Country and the Constitution, nothing.
Really? Not your wife? Not your kids? You must make a hundred trips to the crapper a day to piss out that Kool-Aid. If this Country abandoned you and left you for dead, your loved ones probably would not. The constitution, yeah, it's important, but there are other countries whose citizens might argue they like, given their version of a constitution.
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.