Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Gun confiscation during Hurricane Katrina (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/gun-confiscation-during-hurricane-katrina-106936/)

Bigcountry02 05-12-2014 03:50 AM

Gun confiscation during Hurricane Katrina

Watch the video's.

Part I:

Part II:

TekGreg 05-12-2014 04:27 AM

Only about 10% of guns were returned because NOPD insisted on a sales receipt or affidavit that had the weapon's serial number on it. Since Katrina flooded 80% of the city, not many paper records were available. I don't understand why the police didn't issue receipts for what they confiscated. The NRA sued NOPD for their negligence and heavy-handed tactics, but it still didn't return the weapons.

As usual, those with the badges make the rules. What is a law-abiding citizen supposed to do when they'll rough up little old ladies and break their bones for voluntarily producing an unloaded weapon when asked? The only chance of getting them back is taking photos and recording serial numbers on digital media to survive flooding. At least then you may have a chance at getting them back or at least their value when you file a theft claim with your insurance company.

Axxe55 05-12-2014 05:06 AM

as bad as it was after Katrina, and it was bad, imagine now this scenario being played out across the entire country, if martial law was declared for whatever reason.

yep, that scares me.

IIRC, and if i'm mistaken please correct me, but if the president declares martial law across the country, he can remain in power until that order is remanded.

John_Deer 05-12-2014 05:14 AM

A lot of people who lost guns after Katrina never came back to claim them. Most people who could leave New Orleans took their guns with them. If you have ever been to NO you would not leave your guns during a hurricane evacuation. You know everything in town would be looted before they let you back in the city.

After Katrina a lot of the looting was more survival than trying to get something for personal gain. Other than than the Walmart that was looted most of the looting was done by NOPD. Very few people other than NOPD had a running vehicle to carry away the goods. The only cars that were not flooded were in parking decks or out of town.

Axxe55 05-12-2014 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1574319)
A lot of people who lost guns after Katrina never came back to claim them. Most people who could leave New Orleans took their guns with them. If you have ever been to NO you would not leave your guns during a hurricane evacuation. You know everything in town would be looted before they let you back in the city.

After Katrina a lot of the looting was more survival than trying to get something for personal gain. Other than than the Walmart that was looted most of the looting was done by NOPD. Very few people other than NOPD had a running vehicle to carry away the goods. The only cars that were not flooded were in parking decks or out of town.

and how can you claim ownership of guns that were confiscated with nothing to prove they belong to you? you can't.

most of the scenes of looters weren't looting for survival, but for simple profit. LE was stretched thin in many areas and the criminals and the thugs came out to play. carrying out flat screen TV's isn't survival JD.

Holmes375 05-12-2014 09:11 AM

The whole Katrina scenario should serve as an incredible lesson to the apt student of survival and self reliance in modern America.

It can happen in America... it has happened in America.

DrFootball 05-12-2014 09:45 AM

Simplicity. Higher altitude is always better for many reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

WebleyFosbery38 05-12-2014 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFootball (Post 1574353)
Simplicity. Higher altitude is always better for many reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Yup, I may get blown off the hill but I will never get washed off it!

Katrina turned a buddy of mine from a lifelong Liberal to a semi conservative with over 50 guns in a very short time. I remember him asking me about the confiscations in Nola and saying WTF????? When he realized the promise of Uncle Sugar saving the day was as weak as the gravity on the moon, he armed himself and never looked back. Since then he's moved further right than many of my conservative friends.

Never heard anyone angrier than when he was forced by Andy's Safe Act to move his new Weapons with 2 or more military features out of state to his daughters house to protect his investment and inheritance to his kids.

Times are changing but those changing time have brought about changing attitudes as well. I have been noticing that folks that never cared one way or another about firearm ownership get interested once someone says they cant have what they never wanted before, now they are changing their tune. Ive never known someone pro 2A that tuned Anti 2a but I know many that have moved from not caring to participating in principle and deed.

alsaqr 05-12-2014 01:02 PM

Look at the gun confiscation in New Orleans after Katrina from the perspective of political and police corruption: It's about power.

LA in general, and New Orleans in particular, have been bastions of political corruption for at least 100 years. The NOPD has been under a federal consent decree because of police abuses of its citizens. There are numerous cases of NOPD cops committing murder.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/gangsters_outlaws/cops_others/len_davis/index.html

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20101738,00.html

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/4/13/doj-and-nopd.html

locutus 05-12-2014 03:18 PM

My wife was born and raised in N.O.

When she was a child, de Lesseps Morrison was mayor. Owned and operated by "Silver Dollar Sam" Corolla of the mafia. (Morrison was later appointed ambassador the the OAS, by Jimmy "Cahta" and helped in the Panama Canal giveaway.) Things were bad.

Then Moon Landrieu (Sen, Mary Landrieu's father) was elected, and he made Morrison look like a boy scout.

They've gone down hill ever since.

Do I feel any sympathy for the people that elected Morrison, Landrieu, Morial, and Nagan??? Hell no! They dug their own cesspool, let them wallow in it.:mad: