Gun Confiscation
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun Confiscation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Default Gun Confiscation

http://fxn.ws/13eVssi

To all those that said a national gun registry would lead to confiscation, well here it is. Does anyone have any other info on this?

We must always fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most... And that is the indifference of good men!

Axxe55 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

from reading the story, it involves revoked FOID cards and confiscations of those guns alone. my biggest concern or question would be, why were these FOID cards revoked in the first place? mentioned mental illness and such, so maybe these people should be in possession of a firearm in the first place.

just thinking out loud. now i for one do not want to see a national registration or a widespread confiscation by any means, but i also think many of us will agree that there are those who should not be able to purchase or be in possession of firearms due to certain mental illness' and criminal behaviour. now is what they are doing right and proper? is this the correct way of getting guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them?

for me, this brings as many questions as it does answers. very curious to see some other viewpoints on this subject.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 477 Times on 289 Posts
Likes Given: 158

This is not random confiscation of firearms. Did you read the article?

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 07-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #4

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1211

If someone becomes a felon, then I could see confiscation. If they are committed to a mental institution I could see it then too. Other than that it would go to far. I find it a disgrace that any government feels they have the right to require a permit to exercise your constitutional rights. Do you need a special ID to speak there too? How about going to church?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
If someone becomes a felon, then I could see confiscation. If they are committed to a mental institution I could see it then too. Other than that it would go to far. I find it a disgrace that any government feels they have the right to require a permit to exercise your constitutional rights. Do you need a special ID to speak there too? How about going to church?
Don't give them ideas...

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 607

From reading the article, they notify them by mail that their FOID is revoked. That means that the officials aren't too worried about them still owning the gun or what they might do with it upon receiving the letter. What would be the problem with letting the revoked owner turning the weapon over to an FFL for sale? Obviously, since the didn't send a SWAT team to revoke the FOID, they don't see them as an immediate danger. They should allow disposal of the weapon by the owner so he can at least recover the value. 35 weapons seized at one home? Man, are the deputies going to have a fun weekend!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-29-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

one thing i think, and these are just my thoughts, that if a person is defined as mentally unstable to have his FOID card revoked, then instead of confiscation of their firearms, they should be held in trust in the event that the person recieves medical treatment, that if pronounced by a doctor that they are safe to resume possession of a firearm that they are returned to the rightful owner. in the case someone had their FOID card revoked due to felony, then they should be allowed to sell or dispose of them to recoup their investment, and the state should never confiscate without any compensation.

so begs the question, when the state does confiscate because of a revoked FOID card, what is the status of those firearms? how are they disposed of? sold? destroyed? pilfered by the officers? IMO, any officer caught with a firearm that was confiscated from someone that had their FOID card revoked, ought to be charged with felony theft and misuse of official conduct.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7111 Times on 3891 Posts
Likes Given: 14389

Agreement with the motivation for confiscation does not negate the infringement. People break laws and pay their debts and serve their time. If recidivism is the issue, then that is what needs to be addressed. And I don't want the government deciding who is healthy enough to exercise a right.

People Like This 
Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/28/sheriffs-team-working-to-seize-guns-from-thousands-in-illinois/
Why are the FOID cards being revoked?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

It is an interesting question to ask about the status of the confiscated firearms, i.e. "what happens to them?"

What's more interesting is who decides the criteria for confiscation or revoking one's FOID card? Political statements made online? PTSD? Depression? Once more, who decides that a person is "fit " again? Is this the state of IL or is there even a system in place to get one's permit back?

Yet another reason to not live in and not purchase anything from states that support this type of "in the name of public safety" attacks on gun owners.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Axxe55 Likes This