Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Gun Confiscation (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/gun-confiscation-94596/)

improvised_prepper 07-29-2013 01:52 AM

Gun Confiscation

http://fxn.ws/13eVssi

To all those that said a national gun registry would lead to confiscation, well here it is. Does anyone have any other info on this?

Axxe55 07-29-2013 02:18 AM

from reading the story, it involves revoked FOID cards and confiscations of those guns alone. my biggest concern or question would be, why were these FOID cards revoked in the first place? mentioned mental illness and such, so maybe these people should be in possession of a firearm in the first place.

just thinking out loud. now i for one do not want to see a national registration or a widespread confiscation by any means, but i also think many of us will agree that there are those who should not be able to purchase or be in possession of firearms due to certain mental illness' and criminal behaviour. now is what they are doing right and proper? is this the correct way of getting guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them?

for me, this brings as many questions as it does answers. very curious to see some other viewpoints on this subject.

gr8oldguy 07-29-2013 02:22 AM

This is not random confiscation of firearms. Did you read the article?

Rick1967 07-29-2013 02:33 AM

If someone becomes a felon, then I could see confiscation. If they are committed to a mental institution I could see it then too. Other than that it would go to far. I find it a disgrace that any government feels they have the right to require a permit to exercise your constitutional rights. Do you need a special ID to speak there too? How about going to church?

DFlynt 07-29-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1318690)
If someone becomes a felon, then I could see confiscation. If they are committed to a mental institution I could see it then too. Other than that it would go to far. I find it a disgrace that any government feels they have the right to require a permit to exercise your constitutional rights. Do you need a special ID to speak there too? How about going to church?

Don't give them ideas...

TekGreg 07-29-2013 03:07 AM

From reading the article, they notify them by mail that their FOID is revoked. That means that the officials aren't too worried about them still owning the gun or what they might do with it upon receiving the letter. What would be the problem with letting the revoked owner turning the weapon over to an FFL for sale? Obviously, since the didn't send a SWAT team to revoke the FOID, they don't see them as an immediate danger. They should allow disposal of the weapon by the owner so he can at least recover the value. 35 weapons seized at one home? Man, are the deputies going to have a fun weekend!

Axxe55 07-29-2013 03:42 AM

one thing i think, and these are just my thoughts, that if a person is defined as mentally unstable to have his FOID card revoked, then instead of confiscation of their firearms, they should be held in trust in the event that the person recieves medical treatment, that if pronounced by a doctor that they are safe to resume possession of a firearm that they are returned to the rightful owner. in the case someone had their FOID card revoked due to felony, then they should be allowed to sell or dispose of them to recoup their investment, and the state should never confiscate without any compensation.

so begs the question, when the state does confiscate because of a revoked FOID card, what is the status of those firearms? how are they disposed of? sold? destroyed? pilfered by the officers? IMO, any officer caught with a firearm that was confiscated from someone that had their FOID card revoked, ought to be charged with felony theft and misuse of official conduct.

MisterMcCool 07-29-2013 11:17 AM

Agreement with the motivation for confiscation does not negate the infringement. People break laws and pay their debts and serve their time. If recidivism is the issue, then that is what needs to be addressed. And I don't want the government deciding who is healthy enough to exercise a right.

JTJ 07-29-2013 12:38 PM

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/28/sheriffs-team-working-to-seize-guns-from-thousands-in-illinois/
Why are the FOID cards being revoked?

jp_over 07-29-2013 03:13 PM

It is an interesting question to ask about the status of the confiscated firearms, i.e. "what happens to them?"

What's more interesting is who decides the criteria for confiscation or revoking one's FOID card? Political statements made online? PTSD? Depression? Once more, who decides that a person is "fit " again? Is this the state of IL or is there even a system in place to get one's permit back?

Yet another reason to not live in and not purchase anything from states that support this type of "in the name of public safety" attacks on gun owners.