Gun bill clears Senate hurdle as filibuster falls short - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun bill clears Senate hurdle as filibuster falls short

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6607 Times on 3681 Posts
Likes Given: 6264

Look it this way. It will not pass the Senate. That's a given. So we haven't lost anything.

But the democRATS will not be able to demagogue a filibuster

I WANT A RECORDED VOTE ON THE BILL!

Let;m make all 100 of them choose sides. November of next year we'll find out how a yes vote works for them.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #12

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Hopefully, anything passed in the Senate will get shut down in the house. I can't believe that 16 republicans voted to continue the madness.
and here they are...

New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte
Georgia Sen. Saxby Chambliss
Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn
Maine Sen. Susan Collins
Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake
Georgia Sen. Johnny Isakson
Arizona Sen. John McCain
Mississippi Sen. Roger Wicker
North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr
North Dakota Sen. John Hoeven
Illinois Sen. Mark Kirk
South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham
Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander
Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker
Pennsylvania Sen. Pat Toomey
Nevada Sen. Dean Heller
The following is a list of Democratic lawmakers who voted against advancing gun legislation:
Alaska Sen. Mark Begich
Arkansas Sen. Mark Pryor

I really think the forum should let these turncoats know how we feel.

Tack

Old 04-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #13

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Both of my senators were on the side of the angels (ours). There is still a slim hope that it will be voted down in the senate. If not, then we start working on the representatives.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1090 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Maybe, Maybe Not.

Read this first then decide.

Let’s assume that enough Republicans refuse to sign on to the filibuster effort being led by Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.). (At the moment, at least eight Republican Senators are on the record saying they will vote for cloture.) That means that if Reid can keep all 55 Democratic-caucusing Senators in line, he should have more than the 60 votes he would need to end unlimited debate — bringing the bill to the floor and allowing amendments to it to be offered before a final vote on passage.

“Republicans are eager to get into an open amendment process so that they can turn a responsible gun control bill into a round of NRA-backed amendments that only need 51 votes to approve,” warned one senior Democratic operative granted anonymity to speak candidly about strategy matters. “This could be a nightmare for Democrats that care about these issues.”

So, yes, the bipartisan deal on background checks, which is expected to be the first amendment offered to the overall gun bill, is a victory for those who want stricter gun laws. But, the amendment process has the potential to turn into something far different than gun control advocates imagine — and something that would almost certainly doom the legislation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/04/10/gun-control-advocates-are-celebrating-they-might-want-to-hold-off/?hpid=z2

Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6015 Times on 3149 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatme98 View Post
Dang, both my R Sens. (Tn.) are in bed with Frankinstein!
At least you know how to vote in the next primary and who not to vote for in the next election.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #16
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4309

This is a nice blog write-up on the amendment or possible language into the bill S. 649.

They push this forward, it is re-election for both Manchin (D) WV and Toomey (R) PA. Go back to 1994 when the first passed the AWB and in 1996 they got voted out!

Senate Fine Print: 5 guns per year, all sales through FFLs, perpetual records

http://weaponsman.com/?p=8100

Update

Toomey’s spin on the legislation is up on his website http://www.toomey.senate.gov/?p=press_release&id=965, but he’s holding the actual language close to his vest. He doesn’t mention the 5-gun limit that PoliticoOne peculiar thing is that veterans can contest an erroneous placement on the prohibited persons list, but apparently no one else can. It’s probably a good idea for vets to have this, given the generalized incompetence of Shinseki’s VA, and the desires of some to characterize PTSD treatment as lifetime disqualifying, but why shouldn’t all citizens have the same deal? We didn’t go to war just for our rights, you know, but for your rights too.

There’s also a completely useless “National Commission on Mass Violence” with “expert members” nominated, by, what else, career politicians. Sure, that’ll solve everything. Maybe Toomey’s thinking he can get appointed if he gets defeated next year when the PA gun owners he just back-stabbed stay home.

Update II

We’ve gotten hold of the language (Toomey has posted it) and will be reviewing it. At a glance, it’s a step towards northeastern restrictive gun laws (like those under which his Pennsylvanians already labor) for all. It’s a bad bill and he’s a Judas for generating it; it’s not as bad as it could have been but it’s much worse than we’d have had without his betrayal.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4309

From the National Review and the headline says it all:

Sen. Mike Lee - Not a Single Senator Has Been Provided the Legislative Text’ of Gun-Control Bill

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/345311/lee-not-single-senator-has-been-provided-legislative-text-gun-control-bill-andrew-john

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-K6TfznrpNo

Old 04-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #18

Liked 325 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Maybe, Maybe Not.

Read this first then decide.

Let’s assume that enough Republicans refuse to sign on to the filibuster effort being led by Sens. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rand Paul (R-Ky.). (At the moment, at least eight Republican Senators are on the record saying they will vote for cloture.) That means that if Reid can keep all 55 Democratic-caucusing Senators in line, he should have more than the 60 votes he would need to end unlimited debate — bringing the bill to the floor and allowing amendments to it to be offered before a final vote on passage.

“Republicans are eager to get into an open amendment process so that they can turn a responsible gun control bill into a round of NRA-backed amendments that only need 51 votes to approve,” warned one senior Democratic operative granted anonymity to speak candidly about strategy matters. “This could be a nightmare for Democrats that care about these issues.”

So, yes, the bipartisan deal on background checks, which is expected to be the first amendment offered to the overall gun bill, is a victory for those who want stricter gun laws. But, the amendment process has the potential to turn into something far different than gun control advocates imagine — and something that would almost certainly doom the legislation.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2013/04/10/gun-control-advocates-are-celebrating-they-might-want-to-hold-off/?hpid=z2
I guess I didn't understand that the pro-gun senators could add amendments the same as the antis. This could have been the plan of some of the conservatives to begin with. Hope this is true. We will just have to wait and see.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmoose View Post
The RINO's that caved were expected to for the most part - McCain, Grahamnesty, etc. There are a couple though that I was surprised by. I have no faith in this getting defeated in the Senate though - it will have to happen in the House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
I guess I didn't understand that the pro-gun senators could add amendments the same as the antis. This could have been the plan of some of the conservatives to begin with. Hope this is true. We will just have to wait and see.
Senator Wickers response to my "gonna vote your arse out!" email indicated that his tactic was to get it into debate and amend it heavily.

Quote:
Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the constitutional right of law-abiding Americans to keep and bear arms. I am glad to have the benefit of your views on this important issue.

Since coming to Congress in 1995, I have consistently voted to protect our Second Amendment freedoms and will continue to do so. On April 11, 2013, I supported, along with 15 other Republican Senators, a procedural motion on debating S. 649, the so-called Safe Schools Act.

I believe that S. 649 is deeply flawed legislation, and I oppose the measure. However, this vote signals the opening of a robust debate that will put the Senate on record regarding a basic constitutional right. Far from shrinking from it, I welcome such a discussion and believe it is long overdue.

The Founding Fathers conceived of the U.S. Senate as the proper forum for public deliberation of this kind. Law-abiding gun owners should not be put on the defensive when it comes to a fundamental American freedom.

In addition, contrary to the intent of the bill's authors, bringing this measure to the floor gives us the opportunity to vote to add provisions to strengthen gun rights, such as an amendment to protect veterans from unfair restrictions when purchasing a firearm. I would filibuster passage of a final bill that contained any increased, gun restrictions or a weapons ban.
I have worked to protect and preserve the Second Amendment. Rather than adding new laws and regulatory burdens, Congress should focus on ways to make existing laws more effective. The goal should be to increase safety and punish criminals – not unfairly hurt law-abiding gun owners.

Be assured that as Congress considers gun control legislation I will continue to defend our right to bear arms. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance.

With best wishes, I am

Sincerely yours,
Roger F. Wicker
U.S. Senate
He better hope it works, or he will go on the "bear" list.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.