Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gun and Ammo rush dying down.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Default Gun and Ammo rush dying down.

I was in my local LGS last night and they had 20 + ARs on the shelves and a pretty good stock of 556 and 223 ammo. And there weren't ppl lined up to buy them. Anyone else experiencing this in their areas. This is in SE KS

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Went to gander mountain and they had 5.56, but I could only buy 5 boxes. Still no rifles but the shops that do still want 2000+ for rifles only worth 1000 ( based on quality not availability ) i.e. r guns , del-ton.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #3

Liked 158 Times on 113 Posts

It seems the amount of people at stores is dying down but ammo availability here (VA peninsula) seems pretty well limited. Shotgun and various rifle ammo: easy. Handgun ammo: depends on caliber but everything except 9mm seems relatively easy to find. Most stores I've been to might have a box or two of hollow points for 9mm. Black rifles are still either completely gone or they only have a few in stock.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #4

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Can't tell if the panic has died off yet because ammunition is out in the local distribution warehouses. Can't believe a Wal-Mart employee actually admitted that, but she actually looked it up on her scanner.

Starting to see some ammo stay on the shelves but still cannot find .22 LR. Never thought I'd see the day you couldn't find that!

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Kai

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

We started out with the panic buying...remember the manufacturers/distributors had no idea this was going to happen, none of us really expected this, and they ran through their normal stock. They have the same amount of employees and can only get so much work done in a day.
The current restocking is typical.
The current buying is as well. If you see a box of ammo reasonably priced on the shelf most will buy it, mainly because it is actually there and the opportunity presents itself.
This all happened during the holiday season when many take time off...a smaller work force during a time of heavy buying also helps shortages seem more prominent.
Everyone is back at work. They've had time to organize and ship orders in the system before the run and they're working through the hysteria orders...

This is all typical. Manufacturing continues to do so. Distributors continue to do so and stores will start seeing shelves with stuff on them. I'd not be surprised if orders are partially filled...perhaps best buyers will get full orders shipped...so they can at least partially satisfy all customers but I'd also expect that steady customers will get priority service.

I'd bet in the next couple of weeks, maybe 3 or 4, we'll see ammo in steady supply on the shelves followed by the smaller caliber guns with the AR's and similar types following. I just hope the gun prices are not jumped too much but probably at the MSRP and maybe a bit better for the short term and dropping as stock sits on shelves.

Just because there is talk about bans doesn't mean much more than that at the start. Federal law doesn't necessarily trump state laws at all. All laws have to be voted on by their respective legislatures and all such laws can be fought in courts up to the Supreme Court. And there already has been Law vs Court battles...and the courts have over ruled the law in some cases.

During this time manufacturers will continue to fill orders...they have employees to keep working and a profit to make...which will flow down the line to us.

Be patient it will work out.
Be involved...continue to contact your law makers on both sides of the issue. Those that support gun owners need to hear from us as much as any of them.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #6

Liked 292 Times on 221 Posts

Still having a bad shortage in south AL. Most places are not expecting a shipment until mid Feb.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #7

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It was the ammo I did not expect to run short like .380 that I have had problems finding, I think my LGS had quite a stockpile of ammo on the stuff he knew there would be a run on, and he limited daily purchase he had pmags until last week.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #8

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post
Snipped buncha stuff I've considered already
I have wondered if the timing of when all this went down ended up contributing to the shortages. January is a slow retail time for many businesses and not only was staff probably light but they may have been ramped down for the post-holiday buying slowdown.

What's somewhat ironic is that prior to the panic I often would have trouble finding my preferred .45 ammunition and shelves would be overstocked with 9mm and .38 Special. Now, not a 9mm round to be had and .38 Special rarely lasts a full 24 hours on the shelf. I can still find SD rounds for .45 and there is some decent range ammunition available. Naturally this would be the time I got a 9mm handgun for Christmas.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #9

Liked 111 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Last week I was in my local Academy Sports (they are the only people that have not raised their prices) and they had very few guns left. Maybe 20 handguns and 50 rifles / shotguns, with no AR's.

I went back today to buy a shotgun and they did appear to have a few more. Certainly nowhere near a normal level of stock but they did have probably 50% more than last week.

Ammo is still flying off the shelves here in NE Florida. I happened to be in Walmart today and asked the guy in Sports and Outdoors if they had anything that was not on display. I was able to get 100 rounds of 9mm and 10 buckshot shells. It was the last of both that they had in the store. Who the hell is buying all the buckshot? LOL

Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 AM   #10

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I went to Gander mountain and Academy today. There wasnt 10 boxes of handgun ammo between the two and what the had was all .32 or .25acp. They did both have a few ARs.