Grand Rapids MI PD Response to Open Carrier - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Grand Rapids MI PD Response to Open Carrier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2014, 02:55 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
while i feel open carry might have in place in certain protests and if legal where you live, is fine for use in self defense (although i think concealed carry is by far the better option for self defense).....

i really think overall open carry laws should be used reasonably to protect firearms owners from being charged with some sort of BS crime when moving their guns from point A to point B.

i guess i just fail to see what open carry offers that a concealed carry will not accomplish as well or better. thus the reason i believe most open carry today is political grandstanding, or done for shock value....
Don't matter if you like it or not or want to or not. If its legal then its legal. Your post is nonsense.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:05 AM   #42

Liked 3214 Times on 1918 Posts
Likes Given: 2283

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Don't matter if you like it or not or want to or not. If its legal then its legal. Your post is nonsense.
please don't make it personal. you have your right to your say, i have not called your opinion nonsense. lets remain adults please, sir.

may i ask....do you support 100% unfiltered free speech? in ANY situation?

for example: you are at your mother's funeral, and i walk onto the burial grounds and shout obscenities directed at your dead mother. i make sure it is at the top of my lungs so your family cannot conduct a proper funeral.

do you just dismiss me and explain to everyone about my constitutional right to free speech? i mean you can always try and have another funeral later. are your ideals to ALL our bill of rights THIS absolute? i seriously doubt it.

or do you call the cops? or do you & your family attack me? this seems more likely, no matter how much you support freedom of speech.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:11 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1300 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Once again, I didn't start this thread to debate the merits of OC vs CC. We've had enough threads shut down over that debate.

OC in MI is legal
Guy was felony detained for what the LEO claimed was suspicious activity
LEO dash cam video as personally seen by people I personally know and trust reflected something completely different.

I did follow up on when the video would be available to the public, and was told the plaintiff (city of grand rapids) has not agreed with releasing it to the public. I would hope as soon as it's entered into evidence, it will be available to the public, but IDK.
wittmeba Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 AM   #44

Liked 183 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 133

I guess as a society we have to decide if we still want open carry or not. Apparently some people are a little squeamish about it and think its all about showing off and looking for a confrontation but think its ok when you are moving, or since they don't like it they don't give a damn as long as you don't bother them. Then we have cops looking for a reason to roust and taze instead of protecting the rights they swore to uphold and defend.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:23 AM   #45

sorry for the side track. how the LEO approached the citizen and how the citizen was acting are at the heart of whether this was justified or not.

videos can be damning evidence! just wonder who will end up the guilty party when the video is displayed?

truth is, i have seen enough open carry morons to know it could have been the citizen acting as well....a moron. i have also seen enough abusive police situations to know that the police instigating the confrontation (or lying about what happened) is also a real possibility.

time will tell, especially if there is video evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Once again, I didn't start this thread to debate the merits of OC vs CC. We've had enough threads shut down over that debate.

OC in MI is legal
Guy was felony detained for what the LEO claimed was suspicious activity
LEO dash cam video as personally seen by people I personally know and trust reflected something completely different.

I did follow up on when the video would be available to the public, and was told the plaintiff (city of grand rapids) has not agreed with releasing it to the public. I would hope as soon as it's entered into evidence, it will be available to the public, but IDK.

Last edited by hawkguy; 01-09-2014 at 03:27 AM.
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 AM   #46

Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
while i feel open carry might have in place in certain protests and if legal where you live, is fine for use in self defense (although i think concealed carry is by far the better option for self defense).....

i really think overall open carry laws should be used reasonably to protect firearms owners from being charged with some sort of BS crime when moving their guns from point A to point B.

i guess i just fail to see what open carry offers that a concealed carry will not accomplish as well or better. thus the reason i believe most open carry today is political grandstanding, or done for shock value....
Or some people have to because of weird laws that make it where you can own a pistol but can't get a Ccw because of age requirements

Old 01-09-2014, 03:37 AM   #47

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The open carry issue is like the current marijuana arguments. It is difficult to discuss, shouting down decent is not a discussion. We have always had open carry in Wyoming. And yes we are a very rural state. No one pays any attention to open carry or do the citizens think much about it.
We also have the right to cuss our dogs and trucks. We do however respect women and children and others and refrain from vulgar speech in public. The open carry of side arms going back to the frontier days was almost always respectful of urban attitudes. On the range it was open carry in town it was concealed. We to this day are respectful of these un-written rules.
We do not have "Open Carry" days. Why push any issue that you have won? An issue where you remain in the minority of the population? I have to question how many of the overly vocal advocates actually worked to get these rights?
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfieldaddict View Post
Or some people have to because of weird laws that make it where you can own a pistol but can't get a Ccw because of age requirements
i've never really argued much against open carry with a PURPOSE. just that imo, concealed carry is more effective. it is the "doing it cause i can and to cause a stink" that i can live without.

anyway, i'm doing it again. sorry. i promise...no more open carry debate in respect to the OP.

and out of curiosity, what is this law you speak of and what state is ti enforced in?
wittmeba Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 03:41 AM   #49

Liked 3072 Times on 1386 Posts
Likes Given: 2867

Quote:

I'll give you a reason for open carry. It doesn't cost 50 bucks for a permit. How about we charge you 50 bucks for your right to speak on the topic. Doesn't sound to good does it. I'll give you another reason for open carry. Let's meet in the street, you cover up your weapon I'll leave mine in the open, let's see who gets off the first shot. You fight to dig out your weapon while the open carry guy has his out already. Tactical enough for you? The final reason for open carry is because it's our right. What part of "Shall not be infringed" do you not understand? I don't understand how the cops harassing you is your fault just because you are doing something legal. Do you blame the rape victim because she was dressed to provocative?
bluez Likes This 
Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2451 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Well I should have known this would degenerate to this level. Don't know why I even bother sometimes. I don't have time for this crap right now.

Act like a crazy with a gun, expect to get treated like a crazy with a gun. End of story. Don't like it? Tough. That's how it works.

Unsubbed.

Last edited by DeltaF; 01-09-2014 at 07:53 AM.
People Like This