Grand Rapids MI PD Response to Open Carrier
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Grand Rapids MI PD Response to Open Carrier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 847 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Default Grand Rapids MI PD Response to Open Carrier

Quote:
GRAND RAPIDS, MI – The man who sued Grand Rapids police after he was detained for openly carrying a holstered pistol raised concerns about his psychological state by standing outside of a church service talking loudly to himself, police reports showed.

source
Reasonable, right???

Except for one little teeny weeny fact, the RO fabricated the entire RAS.

There is a LOT of information in the comment sections.

This from the comments
Quote:
The city of Grand Rapids, and it's police department have a history of contempt for rule of law, and pushing their radical anti-gun agenda. They have demonstrated hostility and intimidation of law abiding gun owners because of that agenda.

The GRPD has a reputation of detaining people with dubious pretense and flagrant violations of Michigan law because of it's political anti-gun agenda, as well as the 4th Amendment rights of citizens.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #2

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

This article supports many of my concerns. When someone uses the phrase "...reason to believe..." this is supporting an opinion. Opinions are never wrong. Argue with me if you wish but opinions are never wrong.

How do you fight against ones opinion? There are no outstanding facts about this article at least in what is published to change the RO opinion of what might be about to happen.

Deffert acted oddly - another opinion that can't be disputed.

Until the powers to be can remove the subjectivity of judgement from each case, this is what we will be stuck with. About the comments...a lot more opinions if you ask me.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this case.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 01-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #3

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

******* cops have been violating citizens rights for years. Nothing new here.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 847 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
This article supports many of my concerns. When someone uses the phrase "...reason to believe..." this is supporting an opinion. Opinions are never wrong. Argue with me if you wish but opinions are never wrong.

How do you fight against ones opinion? There are no outstanding facts about this article at least in what is published to change the RO opinion of what might be about to happen.

Deffert acted oddly - another opinion that can't be disputed.

Until the powers to be can remove the subjectivity of judgement from each case, this is what we will be stuck with. About the comments...a lot more opinions if you ask me.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of this case.
People that have viewed the dash cam said he was walking down the sidewalk with his back to the LEO... just walking. How odd is that behavior?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1512 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 528

If I was an officer in the same situation I would have detained him as well. Lets be honest with ourselves. You don't disrupt a church service. Many churches have assigned shooters. The situation could have gotten out of hand very easily. As a police officer I would not have charged him but I would have detained him until the church service was over. Then he could get his youtube buddy or carry on with whatever he was planning to do.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5511 Times on 2878 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Reasonable, right???

Except for one little teeny weeny fact, the RO fabricated the entire RAS.

There is a LOT of information in the comment sections.

This from the comments
Anyone can make a comment in a comment section and make up any story they want to.

From the story there was no violation of any civil rights.

Person armed in front f a church acting strange, detained and background check run then released with firearm once it was determined he wasn't a threat.

I don't see any issue at all and the officer did exactly what I would have done under the same instance.

That moron suing the police for doing a damn fine job is lucky a ccw citizen didn't blow his fool head off.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 01-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #7

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
Argue with me if you wish but opinions are never wrong.
My opinion? Doesn't this guy make us all look like jackasses,

by doing something very questionable, while openly carrying?

I'm afraid I have to agree completely with JonM, on this one.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2694 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Too many "open carry advocates" have become "open carry radicals". Parading around in prominent places to draw attention to yourself and DARE the Police to confront you? Yes, stupid and counter productive.

" I am just exercising my rights and raising public awareness". BULL $HIT!!! You are stirring up the populace to make your "point". The "point" is you are a douche bag.

If you want to raise awareness, stand on the street corner and hand out fliers. Get your buddies together and buy a 30 second radio spot. Kind of like raising awareness of 1st Amendment rights by yelling controversial things on the street corner. People rightfully label you as "crazy". Why is this any different?

Exercise your rights, don't flaunt them.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #9

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Too many "open carry advocates" have become "open carry radicals". Parading around in prominent places to draw attention to yourself and DARE the Police to confront you? Yes, stupid and counter productive.

If you want to raise awareness, stand on the street corner and hand out fliers. Get your buddies together and buy a 30 second radio spot.
Want to "raise awareness"? Get out the 22s. Take some noobs to

the range. Show them how to shoot.

People don't see what you want them to see, they see what

they WANT to see. Act like a "gun nut" and they will see

a gun nut.

Let them feel the self-empowerment of shooting, and they will

see that it is a fun sport, and want to get involved.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2068 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 3108

Quote:
^^^^This^^^^

We should not encourage folks to play games with the police by open carrying guns. Much of this is copy cat stuff egged on by members of forums like this one.

So far as i can determine the first person to plan a confrontation with the police by open carrying was the guy in TN who carried a Draco in the park. He painted the gun orange so the police would think it was a toy: Yeah, right!! That guy lost his CCW.