Gov Quinn Teams Up With Mayor Rahm Emanuel To Propose Bill To Tax And Ban Your Guns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gov Quinn Teams Up With Mayor Rahm Emanuel To Propose Bill To Tax And Ban Your Guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6321 Times on 3154 Posts
Likes Given: 6789

BKT, we have the same deal in NY, no better, just doing the same things, different times. Its all about the Mucks in NYC, LI and Albany. Funny how the few that live in an area no bigger than a single large county get the say over the entire state.

There is a precedence for this already churning in Tobacco, Booze and even sugar sweetened drinks in NY. The way to get rid of Vices is to Tax them out of existence, its FOOG (For Our Own Good). After all, the Supremes just upheld the right of the government to tax us for anything they choose, as long as its only a tax its AOK!

This is a very tricky time in our nation. The polls show a race for presidency that is very close, few are concerned about the other races and those in charge could feel empowered to act quickly while the specter of the big race fogs our vision and other senses.

Its every state for themselves, were not able to focus on everything anymore, the environment is way too target rich and States rights are about all that left between us and The Federated States of America. I am very worried about NY, we are such pushovers for anything they label as progress!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 3323

i had never heard the term "amendatory authority" in my life. Googled it up. Turns out IL voters approved a new Constitutuion in 1970. One of the things in the new Constitution was the governors "amendatory authority".

The the legislature can approve the governors amendment by a majority vote or veto it by a 3/5 vote. If the legislature does nothing the bill is dead.

http://illinoisissues-archive.uis.edu/politics/vetoes.html

Quote:
One might reasonably assume, however, that few of the 2,979,977 citizens who voted for Con-Con were motivated by a desire to transform the governor into a super-legislator. Yet a little-heralded provision that allows governors to rewrite bills after they’ve cleared the legislature has proven to be among the more contentious innovations of the 1970 Constitution.

Under the amendatory veto power, a governor may return a bill with specific recommendations for change, which lawmakers can accept by majority votes in each chamber or can over- ride with three-fifths majorities. If legislators do neither, the bill is dead.

.................................................. ..................................................

Despite the speaker’s distaste for the practice, over the last two decades, lawmakers have accepted governors’ changes more than two-thirds of the time, and overridden only about 6 percent of the amenda-tory vetoes. In the remainder of the cases — about a quarter of the total — the underlying bills have died.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1817 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yikes!! My Dad will have to sell his guns to me or move to IN ASAP!!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Rahm Emanuel ... it is what it sounds like. A snake on an asphalt gutter.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #15

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

We get what we vote into office. (Well what you vote into office. )

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #16

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

mental note - never, EVER, have anything to do with Chicago ...... what a dump

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #17

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Rahm tried the crap last year and the legislators downstate had a conniption. The rest of the state is good old boys and farmers. This is why it is not at all fair for the city to run the state. IL is pretty large state, with a huge cultural difference once you get outside of Cook (Crook) county. The issue is that the population of people living on the government dime is huge in Chicago, as is the population is over liberal douche tards, and these are the idiots that keep voting in the whiny minority. I like my little town, there is a ton of history here, the people are good, the buildings are old and full of character, I don't want to be forced out of here because I am losing my freedoms, besides I can't afford to sell at this point in time, I would if that were an option, but I'd rather try and fix this horribly broken state.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #18

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

I didn't see this thread already when I created my own...but I've dissected it too and wrote down my thoughts in the link below, to the best of my understanding, and as I read it, you can go to prison for possession of various Air Rifles as well.

Everything detailed here

http://noddablog.blogspot.com/2012/08/evaluating-criminal-quinns-assault.html

On a side note, I was not old enough in the early 90's to really know what was going on politically (Was born in '84)

Anyone who was around then, can you comment on this:

What was the political climate surrounding the Assault Weapons Ban back then from the Clinton Administration? Is it akin to this, or different?

Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #19

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Anyone who was around then, can you comment on this:

What was the political climate surrounding the Assault Weapons Ban back then from the Clinton Administration? Is it akin to this, or different?
the climate feels much more toxic today than it did back then in my opinion. But after the past 2 decades the Gov't has shown it's true colors and is totally out of control with power grabbing. Of course information dissemination via the internet is greater today today. I think more people are aware of what is going on than ever before.

Keep in mind the 94' AWB was more popular with legislators than it was with the people, hence the shellacking the Dem's took in 94'. But even with the balance of power shifting no one really made an effort to repeal the ban and Bush allowing it to expire was a no brainer - repeal it and he looks bad, renew it and he looks bad, let it sunset and it's not his problem.

Gun control will never be a dead issue, as those in favor of it refuse to acknowledge the realities of the world around them. Folks in favor of gun control have 2 things in common - more and more power in the hands of Gov't and the idea that they can be safe at all costs

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 08-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Gotta love Crook county one of the most violent cities in the nation good thing those criminals are remembering that carrying guns in IL is illegal. The NRA youth camp actually took advantage of they're stupidity. They have a guns for cash program, doesn't matter if guns work or what no questions asked u bring a gun they give you cash. only guns criminals ever turn in are not working. They took a bunch of broken and damaged guns up there turned em in and got enough cash to buy all the ammo for the camp and 4 guns to give away. Isn't it nice of chicago to help