Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gotta love Autozone......NOT!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 03:40 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 608 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 12

+1 for O'Reileys
Didn't this guy go to his vehicle to retrieve his sidearm? If so, he didn't bring the gun into work, he reacted to a deadly situation. So many people, even people here, are on the businesses side regarding no guns policies. This a constitutional right they are taking from you if you enter their business. No one could get away with taking your first, third, fourth or any other right away to enter their business or work there. Why is it ok to take away your second???

Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #22

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Where I live, I will only go to NAPA. The people that work there seem to know what they are talking about.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #23
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7310 Times on 4245 Posts
Likes Given: 9421

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
If you want some good car advice come into my store when I'm working Now you know an employee who isn't incapable of independent critical thinking.
I specifically said
Quote:
That is probably why I don't go there as all of the employees I encounter there are entirely incapable of independent thinking.
I would have to change that statement if I had walked into your store.

My auto parts store of choice is a family owned, one-store business. I have been going there for over 35 years and I am good personal friends with everybody there including the owners. It is the only place I know where I can walk in and ask for a part based on what year range I think it came out of and what models I think it was in. I do it all the time when working on my modified cars. Also walked in once and asked for universal joints for a 1936 Chrysler Airflow and they had 3 of them in stock.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:39 AM   #24
No Longer a NY Resident.

Liked 1032 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
I'm all for the 2A, I own a gun business as you know. However, as a business owner, I believe it's their right to have certain policies whether right or wrong it is well within their right to do so. If I was in the same situation, I don't think I would change a thing, but I would do so knowing that it's probably going to cost me my job. Is AutoZone's policy stupid? YES! Are corporate and regional managers crappy leaders? From my experience at my store, yes. Orielly's has the same policy, so does Advance, NAPA, and just about any other retail store you can think of. Unfortunately that's part of being employed there, the same holds true for factories and a wide variety of other companies. The only reason I keep my job for the meager money I do make is since my current job is contract work, I could lose it at any given time so I would rather work at AutoZone than sit at home and collect an unemployment check. If you want some good car advice come into my store when I'm working Now you know an employee who isn't incapable of independent critical thinking. I do wonder about some of the people we hire myself. I'm just a PSM and not a store manager so I don't do the hiring and firing.
QFT. Most, if not all, of the businesses in my area have the same policy. On private property, the managment or owners of said property make the rules. I was fired once for having a knife, with a blade length of less than the 6 inch max. lenght for NY state, on my person to breakdown boxes at a resturaunt. I contacted upper managment, and the local police. I was told by both that since it was private property, I had no legal options to fight it with.

I personally applaud the fortitude that that young man showed. I feel that he should have been rewarded, not terminated, but company policy is company policy. He did violate one of the terms of his employment, they have the right to fire him. I do not agree with it, but they do.

Now the problem for me is, AutoZone is one of only three parts stores within 45 miles of where I live. It is the closest at 37.2 miles, the next closest is 48 miles away. The NAPA, and Fred Robert's Auto Parts are staffed with people who are amost equal in intelligence to a can of cut cling peaches. I have called both for a part before, and have literally been told (by the manager no less!) to drive my happy @ss the 50 miles and look for myself. I have never been treated that way at AZ. I am friends with most of the counter people and the stores manager, and he only hires people who know what they are doing.

I will fire off an Email, and let the upper managment know about my disaproval, and my anger at them for firing an employee, who IMHO did the right thing. I will also make sure to ask them how they would have handled it had it been a customer who saved the lives of their employees. I want to know if they would have banned said customer for life, or if they would thank him or her. But, until next spring, when Advance Auto Parts opens up, I am kind of stuck with AZ if I need to work on one or both of my trucks. Therefore, I wish all that will be boycotting AZ the best of luck, but I myself can not particpate.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
QFT. Most, if not all, of the businesses in my area have the same policy. On private property, the managment or owners of said property make the rules. I was fired once for having a knife, with a blade length of less than the 6 inch max. lenght for NY state, on my person to breakdown boxes at a resturaunt. I contacted upper managment, and the local police. I was told by both that since it was private property, I had no legal options to fight it with.

I personally applaud the fortitude that that young man showed. I feel that he should have been rewarded, not terminated, but company policy is company policy. He did violate one of the terms of his employment, they have the right to fire him. I do not agree with it, but they do.

Now the problem for me is, AutoZone is one of only three parts stores within 45 miles of where I live. It is the closest at 37.2 miles, the next closest is 48 miles away. The NAPA, and Fred Robert's Auto Parts are staffed with people who are amost equal in intelligence to a can of cut cling peaches. I have called both for a part before, and have literally been told (by the manager no less!) to drive my happy @ss the 50 miles and look for myself. I have never been treated that way at AZ. I am friends with most of the counter people and the stores manager, and he only hires people who know what they are doing.

I will fire off an Email, and let the upper managment know about my disaproval, and my anger at them for firing an employee, who IMHO did the right thing. I will also make sure to ask them how they would have handled it had it been a customer who saved the lives of their employees. I want to know if they would have banned said customer for life, or if they would thank him or her. But, until next spring, when Advance Auto Parts opens up, I am kind of stuck with AZ if I need to work on one or both of my trucks. Therefore, I wish all that will be boycotting AZ the best of luck, but I myself can not particpate.
Order online parts. Not to hard.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #26
No Longer a NY Resident.

Liked 1032 Times on 667 Posts
Likes Given: 5294

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub1686 View Post
Order online parts. Not to hard.
I've found my seld doing just that a lot lately. Got the best price on the clutdh kit and slave cyl. for my F150 that way. Kinda feel like an idiot now. Never ceossed my mind when I posted earlier.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #27

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
+1 for O'Reileys
Didn't this guy go to his vehicle to retrieve his sidearm? If so, he didn't bring the gun into work, he reacted to a deadly situation. So many people, even people here, are on the businesses side regarding no guns policies. This a constitutional right they are taking from you if you enter their business. No one could get away with taking your first, third, fourth or any other right away to enter their business or work there. Why is it ok to take away your second???
They can and will take your freedom of speech away. The constitution is to ensure the government doesn't infringe on these rights. There are things you can't say at work so technically your 1st amendment right is taking away. Where do you work? Do you carry there?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post

Advanced is up for sale and there is talk that AZ is going to buy them. Just FYI

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I specifically said

I would have to change that statement if I had walked into your store.

My auto parts store of choice is a family owned, one-store business. I have been going there for over 35 years and I am good personal friends with everybody there including the owners. It is the only place I know where I can walk in and ask for a part based on what year range I think it came out of and what models I think it was in. I do it all the time when working on my modified cars. Also walked in once and asked for universal joints for a 1936 Chrysler Airflow and they had 3 of them in stock.
3 ha that's crazy. of course the owner was probably a teen in the 30s so that makes sense.

Member:

Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #30
Supporting Member

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

+1 for OReilly Auto as well - had much better experiences with them than with the other parts places..

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams