Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Going to D.C , can I carry ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/going-d-c-can-i-carry-41820/)

MobileMarine 04-27-2011 01:59 PM

Going to D.C , can I carry ?

Im from nc but I plan on going to the smithsonian this weekend with the old lady for the first time . I do not have a nc cc permit ' the less they know the better ' but I do take my lil pt111 where ever I go . Can I bring it with me into the dc area ? I dont plan to open carry but just to leave it in the truck . I know dc has strict gun laws but the who , what where and when I dont know . I plan to take with me anyway Im just wondering how upset they would be if I get pulled .

dog2000tj 04-27-2011 02:12 PM

Let us know how that works out ;)

MobileMarine 04-27-2011 02:36 PM

I take that as a bad thing

Yunus 04-27-2011 02:53 PM

I can't cite the exact laws and I'm not a lawyer. But I live in MD and work in DC and would never under almost any circumstance consider taking a gun even unloaded disassembled in a locked box in the trunk of my vehicle into DC.

opaww 04-27-2011 03:05 PM

Bad idea......

rjgnwdc 04-27-2011 03:58 PM

Don't do it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 494270)
I can't cite the exact laws and I'm not a lawyer. But I live in MD and work in DC and would never under almost any circumstance consider taking a gun even unloaded disassembled in a locked box in the trunk of my vehicle into DC.

Ditto this comment
If you are prepared to give it up, you will be scanned at the Smithsonian

c3shooter 04-27-2011 05:34 PM

You will need to change your screen name, as I assure you, you will no longer be mobile.

VERY bad ju-ju. Unload, case it, lock the case. You now meet the Federal "Peaceable Journey" standards.

Same applies to VA is you do not have a CCW from NC. Sorry Dude.

Yunus 04-27-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 494389)
You will need to change your screen name, as I assure you, you will no longer be mobile.

VERY bad ju-ju. Unload, case it, lock the case. You now meet the Federal "Peaceable Journey" standards.

Same applies to VA is you do not have a CCW from NC. Sorry Dude.

Federal maybe but does that trump state/local laws(it probably should but I don't know that it does)? I don't know the specifics on DC but in Montgomery county Maryland you are not allowed to transport firearms unless you are going to/from a place your going to specifically and legally use your firearms or taking them to/from a gun shop.

dog2000tj 04-27-2011 06:32 PM

Back when I lived in NY I was brushing up on the gun laws and IIRC it is technically impossible for me to transport a firearm through NY. :confused: :( As I recall,
1. Firearms are to be unloaded and in a locked case in a lockable compartment of the vehicle.
2. Ammo had to be in a separate locked case in a separate lockable compartment of the vehicle.

Unlucky for me I drive a Jeep - no lockable compartments outside of the glove box. Which wouldn't fit a pistol let alone one in a locked case. :(

dnthmn2004 04-27-2011 06:37 PM

When it comes to gun laws, its best to do your own research instead of trusting John Doe from a gun forum who lives in a different state.

Every state has their laws online. Its better you KNOW what the laws are instead of trying to explain in court that "Crackshot420 from FirearmsTalk.com told me I could":rolleyes: