Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Glimmer of Hope for Illinois?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1677 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Default Glimmer of Hope for Illinois?

This just in from the NRA website:
-----------------------------------
Respect for the Second Amendment in Illinois' Largest County

Posted on August 24, 2012

On Tuesday, the Springfield, Illinois, State Journal-Register reported that the state's attorney in McLean County (Bloomington area) announced that he would not enforce certain Illinois gun control laws that violate the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. In particular, the county's top prosecutor, Ronald Dozier, singled out the Illinois law that requires a person to possess a Firearm Owners Identification Card to be able to buy a gun.

"Our message is this," Dozier said. "We will no longer use the power and authority of our office to criminalize and punish decent, otherwise law-abiding citizens who choose to exercise the rights granted to them by the Second Amendment of the United States' Constitution to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and their families.” Dozier also noted that Illinois is the only state that still prohibits people from carrying concealed weapons.

Prospective firearm carriers take note, however: McLean County Sheriff Mike Emery, while agreeing with Dozier about the conflict between the Second Amendment and the Illinois gun control laws, said his office would continue to enforce the laws in their present form. Thus, as Dozier said, his decision is largely "symbolic."
----------------------------
Sounds like a pretty strange arrangement. The Sheriff will still arrest people who violate the unconstitutional laws, but the Prosecutor does not intend to prosecute them? Still, someone fairly high up in Illinois government has taken a public stand. It's just a glimmer, but it's better than pitch black darkness...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #2

Liked 1119 Times on 726 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Yup , Its going to have to happen by county because the rest of the douchebag senators in this state wont help keep us safe. Im just one county over and I hope it happens here.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:02 AM   #3

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

As I always say, the peoples have to free themselfs. They cannot ever be free if someone else does it for them.

There may just be a small glimmer of hope for Il.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

I don't mind the FOID card so much as I would like to conceal carry.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I don't mind the FOID card so much as I would like to conceal carry.
It's not something you should have to put up with though. You have an ID already. That should be the only firearms authentication card you need

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 08-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1677 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1989

Personally, I think any law abiding citizen with a US passport should be able to carry, concealed or otherwise. Any state, county or local laws that further restrict that right, by virtue of that restriction, "infringe". I'm pretty much OK with the idea that convicted felons, psychopaths and Democrats (oh, sorry, that was redundant ) should be restricted. Sucks that Illinois is the remaining holdout on concealed carry. Also sucks that some of the other states (NJ, NY, ...) are just about as bad.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 08-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 2937

Dozier is the temporary appointed prosecutor of McLean county. He will go away after the new elected prosecutor takes office in January.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I live in IA but work in IL and the county I work in is putting Concealed Carry on the ballot this fall.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.