Gifting a handgun across state lines. - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gifting a handgun across state lines.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 AM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2003 Times on 1186 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I am not one of the, as you put it, 'sheepeople'. Did you coin that term? Or are you following some self-appointed Pied Piper in using it?

I do understand. Probably much better than you can imagine. I do see some utility in engaging in public protest, even ones that might get me arrested. But I would not risk a felony unless I could afford a platoon of attorneys and the time to fight such a case all the way to the Supreme Court. Transferring guns illegally but without telling anybody of the act is a useless protest IMO. So was Adam Kokesh's act of defiance when he loaded a shotgun in Washington DC last 4th of July. He is tilting at windmills, just as you are doing by your silent protests.

Postin it on a gun forum that is undoubtedly monitored by many different government agencies is unwise. Could land you in jail. I hope it does not happen, but unless it does your efforts are wasted on everybody but yourself (and perhaps the people who receeve your generous gifts.)
We have nothing to discuss. Have a nice day.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-16-2014, 03:22 AM   #42
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
We have nothing to discuss. Have a nice day.
Nice of you to concede.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 05:00 AM   #43
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I have a question. When someone asks for legal advise here, everybody says something to the effect of "free advise is worth what you pay for it", "or ask a lawyer," or "I'm not a lawyer", etc. Now, I ask, ARE there any lawyers here? More specific, are there any lawyers who know gun laws? On this thread, we have people arguing that something is illegal, and other people saying that same something is legal. (Transferring from state to state with no FFL, if both the states allow FTF transfers, and the receiver is allowed to receive a gun.) This is why I find a lot of gun law stuff confusing. No one knows, but everybody has an opinion. We should get some definitive answers from an actual lawyer on the federal end of it, and make it a sticky. It'd be nice doing the same thing on a state level, but it might be hard getting a lawyer from each state to do it. I do know there is at least one very good gun lawyer in NH.

Vikingdad, I not only find your living arrangement moral, (or at the very least make no judgement either way), I think it's pretty smart....everybody should "Test Drive" the person they may or may not marry.
many times on legal questions it's difficult to give an exact answer as to what's legal in my state to do, may or may not be legal in your state. many times the laws as they are written can be confusing to someone without law degree. this is why many times the best advice is to seek out legal counsel from someone that understands the law.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:23 AM   #44
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1215 Times on 826 Posts
Likes Given: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
many times on legal questions it's difficult to give an exact answer as to what's legal in my state to do, may or may not be legal in your state. many times the laws as they are written can be confusing to someone without law degree. this is why many times the best advice is to seek out legal counsel from someone that understands the law.

And we have a winner
Old 03-16-2014, 06:17 AM   #45
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8320 Times on 4808 Posts
Likes Given: 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
I would say to only seek legal advice upon which you can rely on from someone who practices law in your state and is familiar with the Second Amendment and firearms as well as the BATFE and your state DOJ. It is just too important.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-16-2014, 12:38 PM   #46

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Well, that's why in my last post, I suggested getting an actual lawyer, and getting clarification on FEDERAL laws. The hard part would be getting a lawyer from each state to chime in on their state's laws. Did no one read the last part of my post?

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2862 Times on 1664 Posts
Likes Given: 1691

What, if anything, can you guys tell me about lending a firearm to a family member in another state?

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #48

Liked 238 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I may or may not have given/gifted/loaned/willed a 22 rifle or similar caliber to my daughter and son in law the last time they came to visit. If I did do such a thing, it would have been such as parents and grandparents have done for generations; passing down heirlooms. And if I would have ever done such a thing, it would have been with no second thought to there ever being such a law regulating an act such as described. I always thought laws were made to define a crime not create one. Go and figure.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #49
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8950 Times on 3875 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

And I think we are done here.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Closed Thread