Gifting guns.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gifting guns.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default Gifting guns.

I know you can gift someone a gun, but is there a process to do it? Any paperwork? How does it work across boarders (OK to TX)? Does it have to go through an FFL even if it is a gift?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #2

I heard somewhere that you can gift across some state boarders without going through a FFL, is that true?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8511

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I know you can gift someone a gun, but is there a process to do it? Any paperwork? How does it work across boarders (OK to TX)? Does it have to go through an FFL even if it is a gift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I heard somewhere that you can gift across some state boarders without going through a FFL, is that true?
Aaron. Good questions, and i'm sorry that I can't help you out with this. I would check with local LEOs and with the LEOs in OK. That or check with your LGS. Best I can come up with, hope it helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9167 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

NO. Sorry- no. With the SOLE exception of an inheritance, when the ownership of a firearms is transferred across a state line, FEDERAL law (18 US Code Section 922) requires that the firearm must be transferred through a FFL holder in the home state of the recipient. That applies to gift, sale, etc etc. It is categorized as "transfer between unlicensed persons".

I can sell my neighbor a gun, and I can give my grandson a gun (he lives just down the road) but cannot give a gun to my son, who lives in PA.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1608 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 8511

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
NO. Sorry- no. With the SOLE exception of an inheritance, when the ownership of a firearms is transferred across a state line, FEDERAL law (18 US Code Section 922) requires that the firearm must be transferred through a FFL holder in the home state of the recipient. That applies to gift, sale, etc etc. It is categorized as "transfer between unlicensed persons".

I can sell my neighbor a gun, and I can give my grandson a gun (he lives just down the road) but cannot give a gun to my son, who lives in PA.
Thanks for the info C3. Now I know as well.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 02-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #6

Thanks guys. that made it a lot clearer. One more question, can I go to OK, and go through a OK FFL, or does it have to be a TX FFL? (The LGSs around here charge $30-$40 for a transfer, but the one in OK will pretty much do it for free.)

Old 02-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9167 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Transferring across a state line, gun must go TO a FFL in recipient's home state. Does not (by law) have to come FROM a FFL. However, (a) some FFLs will not receive from a private party (b) they need some form of ID so they can log gun into/ out of their books, (c) does not apply to handguns shipped into NY state- state law requires handgun must be sent FROM FFL to a FFL.

Yes, you can transport gun to a FFL in OK, and have him handle transfer. Suggestion- go over to gunbroker home page. Use the "find a FFL" feature. Those are FFLs that have registered as being willing to do transfers for a fee. Pick on, make contact, see that they are comfortable doing a Face to face transfer between 2 people, make appt, do it.

If you SHIP a handgun to the FFL, must go FedEx or UPS Next dayAir, will cost about $75 shipping. Rifles and shotguns CAN be mailed by US Mail, or shipped at a cheaper rate (ground, 2nd day, etc)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #8

Thanks c3. Once again, you have given me all the info I needed, in a way I can understand it.