Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Gifting guns. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/gifting-guns-59017/)

texaswoodworker 02-28-2012 07:05 PM

Gifting guns.

I know you can gift someone a gun, but is there a process to do it? Any paperwork? How does it work across boarders (OK to TX)? Does it have to go through an FFL even if it is a gift?

texaswoodworker 02-29-2012 02:20 AM

I heard somewhere that you can gift across some state boarders without going through a FFL, is that true?

kfox75 02-29-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 723389)
I know you can gift someone a gun, but is there a process to do it? Any paperwork? How does it work across boarders (OK to TX)? Does it have to go through an FFL even if it is a gift?

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 723810)
I heard somewhere that you can gift across some state boarders without going through a FFL, is that true?

Aaron. Good questions, and i'm sorry that I can't help you out with this. I would check with local LEOs and with the LEOs in OK. That or check with your LGS. Best I can come up with, hope it helps.

c3shooter 02-29-2012 04:10 AM

NO. Sorry- no. With the SOLE exception of an inheritance, when the ownership of a firearms is transferred across a state line, FEDERAL law (18 US Code Section 922) requires that the firearm must be transferred through a FFL holder in the home state of the recipient. That applies to gift, sale, etc etc. It is categorized as "transfer between unlicensed persons".

I can sell my neighbor a gun, and I can give my grandson a gun (he lives just down the road) but cannot give a gun to my son, who lives in PA.

kfox75 02-29-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 723914)
NO. Sorry- no. With the SOLE exception of an inheritance, when the ownership of a firearms is transferred across a state line, FEDERAL law (18 US Code Section 922) requires that the firearm must be transferred through a FFL holder in the home state of the recipient. That applies to gift, sale, etc etc. It is categorized as "transfer between unlicensed persons".

I can sell my neighbor a gun, and I can give my grandson a gun (he lives just down the road) but cannot give a gun to my son, who lives in PA.

Thanks for the info C3. Now I know as well.

texaswoodworker 02-29-2012 04:37 AM

Thanks guys. that made it a lot clearer. One more question, can I go to OK, and go through a OK FFL, or does it have to be a TX FFL? (The LGSs around here charge $30-$40 for a transfer, but the one in OK will pretty much do it for free.)

c3shooter 02-29-2012 11:31 AM

Transferring across a state line, gun must go TO a FFL in recipient's home state. Does not (by law) have to come FROM a FFL. However, (a) some FFLs will not receive from a private party (b) they need some form of ID so they can log gun into/ out of their books, (c) does not apply to handguns shipped into NY state- state law requires handgun must be sent FROM FFL to a FFL.

Yes, you can transport gun to a FFL in OK, and have him handle transfer. Suggestion- go over to gunbroker home page. Use the "find a FFL" feature. Those are FFLs that have registered as being willing to do transfers for a fee. Pick on, make contact, see that they are comfortable doing a Face to face transfer between 2 people, make appt, do it.

If you SHIP a handgun to the FFL, must go FedEx or UPS Next dayAir, will cost about $75 shipping. Rifles and shotguns CAN be mailed by US Mail, or shipped at a cheaper rate (ground, 2nd day, etc)

texaswoodworker 02-29-2012 01:57 PM

Thanks c3. Once again, you have given me all the info I needed, in a way I can understand it. :D