Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gifting a gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

What I did when I worked in retail selling guns was have person A buy person B a gift card for the amount (weapon, tax and DROS fee) then give it to person B so they can fill out the paperwork. It worked, ruined the surprise, but it worked.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
So then I can buy myself a rifle, then go to my friends house, and he can buy it from me?

Like an 'Oh man, you bought the last Mosin with the matching numbers I wanted to complete my collection! I'll give you $200 for it!'

My question is, what is the difference if I buy a gun and sell it to my friend the next day, same day, or 5 years after I buy the gun. In the eyes of the law.

Example is, I was at my LGS, and called my buddy to let him know they had the .22 he liked in stock, he asked me to pick it up.

What is the difference (legally) in doing that, or buying it and selling it to him 'the next day' because I had buyers remorse?
Now, your dealing in firearms which is illegal without the proper FFL. Even know you didn't initially plan on selling the gun when you bought it, you would have a hard time proving that the the BATFE if you got caught.

If your giving your buddy a gun as a gift, that's fine. But if your buddy wants to buy a gun, he has to go the the gun shop and do it himself. If you just bought a gun that your buddy really wants, I really don't know how long you should legally wait. Maybe a few months???

Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1377 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Many stores will not sell gift cards. I wanted to get a gun for my brother. I called the gun shop looking to buy a gift card. They said I need to mail him a check and let him buy the gun. The gun shop owner knows my brother and they are good friends. The shop owner very politely told me that there is to many ways for gift purchases to be seen as straw purchases. I have to respect that. He has a nice business.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #14

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I thought you could do private sales, hence all the gun sales in the local classifieds.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #15
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2637 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

Private sales are permissible.
But I would normally do it through an FFL if there was the slightest doubt in my mind about purchaser.
And if I gift a firearm, I know the receiver.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1377 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
I thought you could do private sales, hence all the gun sales in the local classifieds.
You can do as you please. But you might have to prove yourself innocent for reselling a gun a couple days after you bought it. All it takes is one over-zealous officer to find out about the sale and you will have your hands full. Federal agents can hold you without charging you with anything for as long as they please. I would do my best to avoid any attention from the ATF.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8375 Times on 3624 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Yes, in most states, a private sale is legal. However, if you are charged with "Engaging in the business" of buying and selling guns without a license, you ARE going to need a lawyer. A pattern of buying and selling will do that.

No, no magic number of guns. No, no magic time you must hold a gun before selling it. In some cases, it has been the purchase and resale of ONE gun.

You collect military arms. You have an M1 Carbine. You buy a better one, decide to sell the first- NOT "engaging in the business".

You go to a gun show- really good price on 91/30s. You buy 6 of them, keep one, and over the next month sell the other 5 to your buds. "Engaging in the business".

You are moving to Fresnoistan where you are not permitted to own .29 caliber rifles. You decide to sell your collection of .29 caliber rifles. NOT "engaging in the business".

Please remember legal advice posted here is worth every penny you are paying for it. I am not a lawyer, and even if I were, I am not YOUR lawyer.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5135 Times on 2927 Posts
Likes Given: 4340

If you buy a rifle or shotgun and later (not the next day) gift that weapon to a young friend, or the son or daughter of a friend, and THERE IS NO FINANCIAL REMUNERATION, you are legal.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

You can gift it and it works like this. This is the way it worked for me gifting a hand gun to my 18 year old son. My brother in law is a sheriffs deputy and he said this is legal at least in MT. I buy the hand fun they run a background check on me and since its going to my son they run the check on him also. That's the only legal way for it not to be a straw purchase. He was even able to get a conceal carry permit.

Bob

Old 12-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #20

Liked 1018 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 317

A friend at work said they were thinking of buying a gun as a gift for someone. My suggestion was to buy a gift card to the store for 2 reasons.

1) C3 is correct but just because you do something one way does not mean police and DA will interpret your actions the way you intended them.

2) Guns are not easily returned and we are all very picky about the exact model and features we want. A gift card allows the person to get exactly what they want.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson