Get Active. Fix The Damned Oil Leak.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Get Active. Fix The Damned Oil Leak.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Get Active. Fix The Damned Oil Leak.

Here's the link: Suggestions
The "Austin Powers That Be" clearly don't have a damned clue (Golf balls and rope?) and this thing needs to be remedied pronto. My suggestion was pumping the bore full of sand (Silica) around an electrode fusing the sand into a glass plug using a large generator. I'll post any responses I get back from them for you all to laugh at. Either way, our so-called 'government" has done nothing but blame BP, and you can bet that all of BP's smart people are being deposed for the lawsuits. Another idea I had was something resembling a stack of umbrellas on a central rod that could be inserted and deployed, and held in place by the pressure of the outflow while the relief wells are completed.
Whatever your idea is, get it out there. This is a calamity that neither the government nor BP is willing to explain fully, and oddly enough, don't seem to be doing much about. Step up, and bring your enormous, throbbing brains.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I posted to it last week and haven't had any responses. I suggested they take a big inflatable industrial grade rubber ball.(kind of like a test ball for sewer drains) Weight it down and when it gets at the right point inflate it and stop the flow. Then after that take some steel or lead weights and stack them on top and seal it off.

"I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off!" - Dirty Harry

Old 06-02-2010, 05:53 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Great damned idea! It's that simple. We've put men on the moon, so we can sure as Hell stuff a hole in the ocean.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I suggested they lower a very heavy bell or cone shaped housing over the pipe and maybe anchor it to the sea bed. At the top of the bell is a large and long (one MILE!) hose that captures and pumps the oil to the surface to be contained then refined as normal. I mean the oil is flowing, why not try to use it!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts

I personally don't think the powers that be want to plug the damn hole.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #6

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

When an above ground leak occurs don't they blow it up? Why don't they do that underwater? I mean sure it could backfire and make the problem worse but it might work.

If that doesn't work, we need to build a big tube or reuse the Top Kill pipe and try again, only instead of golfballs and tires we use BP execs and MMS inspectors. I'm certain that it will fail but it will also make people happy for a little while.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #7

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I personally don't think the powers that be want to plug the damn hole.
This is probably going to be the end of BP, they're losing millions of dollars a day, plus the restitution and fines they're gonna have to pay. You don't think they WANT to stop the leak? What motive would they have for NOT stopping it?

Old 06-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #8

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wow, these are all such simple solutions! Why didn't THEY think of that?

Come on, I feel terrible about the effect this accident is having on the livelihoods of all those people, not to mention the damage to the environment, sea critters, and animals, but it's so easy to be an armchair quarterback.....

Old 06-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

A good friend of mine was a Navy Photographers Mate , and a crewman in the ALVIN program. Seriously-deep water has been our realm for decades, and this leak isn't even a test for our underwater capabilities. Bill Clinton sent the Navy out to look for John-John, but apparently another dead Kennedy is more important than our southern coast.
America has the ability to stem the flow right now, but for political reasons, it's going to continue interminably because Obama can't handle another major failure. He's sitting on his hands while claiming to have his heel on the throat of BP, which clearly isn't doing the people and the environment of the Gulf a damned bit of good. BP has tried their 3 best bets, and they all failed. Where's their 4th going to come from? The same damned "brain-trust" that is working on it now?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #10

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
A good friend of mine was a Navy Photographers Mate , and a crewman in the ALVIN program. Seriously-deep water has been our realm for decades, and this leak isn't even a test for our underwater capabilities. Bill Clinton sent the Navy out to look for John-John, but apparently another dead Kennedy is more important than our southern coast.
America has the ability to stem the flow right now, but for political reasons, it's going to continue interminably because Obama can't handle another major failure. He's sitting on his hands while claiming to have his heel on the throat of BP, which clearly isn't doing the people and the environment of the Gulf a damned bit of good. BP has tried their 3 best bets, and they all failed. Where's their 4th going to come from? The same damned "brain-trust" that is working on it now?
If we could stop the flow right now Obama would have done it around day 3. Right after it was called Obama's Katrina he would have stepped up and said yep it is and look what I did, I stopped it. It would be an incredible win on his part.

We may be in deep water but that does not mean we know how things work down there or have the proper tools to solve a problem like this at that depth.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson