Gearin' Up to Shut Down the 2nd Amendment! - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Gearin' Up to Shut Down the 2nd Amendment!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
You might want to do a little more research on republicans and their history with gun control legislation. Granted, they're not as bad as dems, but many in the GOP have had their moments of shame.

Top Republican Rep. Pete King (R) to Introduce Gun-Control Legislation

"Guns are an abomination" -Richard Nixon
Nixon went on to confess that, "Free from fear of gun owners' retaliation at the polls, he favored making handguns illegal and requiring licenses for hunting rifles."

Bush Sr. banned import of "assault" weapons in 1989 and supported the idea that we should only have guns suitable for sporting purposes.

Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, "prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street."

"I support the Brady Bill, and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay." Ronald Reagan, March 28, 1991 speech

One of the most aggressive gun control advocates today is Republican mayor Rudolph Giuliani of New York City, whose administration sued 26 gun manufacturers in June 2000, and whose police commissioner, Howard Safir, proposed a nationwide plan for gun licensing, complete with yearly "safety" inspections.

August 10, 2000 Republican governor George Pataki (New York) signed "the nation's strictest gun control" laws mandating trigger locks, background checks at gun shows and "ballistic fingerprinting" of guns sold in the state. It also raised the legal age to buy a handgun to 21 and banned "assault weapons," the sale or possession of which would now be punishable by seven years in prison.

The ominous Assault Weapons Ban that passed in 1994 was a key part of H.R. 3355, The Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. Despite some people saying the bill was authored by Joe Biden, they're wrong. The author was Rep. Jack Brooks from Texas. Biden wasn't even a sponsor. Right wing gun enthusiasts claim Democrats are the bad guys, trying to take away their guns, but an examination of the voting record shows nothing of the sort.

In the House of Representatives, the vote was not even close. A "verbal vote" was cast so there is not even a record in the House of who voted for/against. There was not enough opposition to even require more detailed voting processes.

In the Senate, the story is much the same, but the senators' votes are on record, and we can see in no-uncertain terms that the Republicans supported the assault weapons ban just as much as the democrats. Here's how the actual vote went down:

Number of Democrats voting for the AWB: 50/53 (94.3%)
Number of Republicans voting for the AWB: 45/47 (95.7%)

Yes, among Republicans in the Senate, a higher percentage supported the AWB than Democrats!

Republicans:
Richard Shelby (AL), Frank Murkowski, Ted Stevens (AK), JOHN MCCAIN (AZ), Christopher Bond (MO), Conrad Burns (MT), Judd Gregg, Bob Smith (NH), Pete Domenici (NM), Alfonse D'Amato (NY), Duncan Faircloth, Jesse Helms (NC), Don Nickles (OK), Robert Packwood (OR), Arlen Specter (PA), John Chafee (RI), J. Thurmond (SC), Larry Pressler (SD), Kay Hutchison (TX), George Brown, Ben Campbell (CO), William Roth (DE), Connie MAck (FL), Paul Coverdell (GA), Larry Craig, Dirk Kempthorne (ID), Daniel Coats, Richard Lugar (IN), Charles Grassley (IA), Bob Dole, Nancy Kassebaum (KS), Mitch McConnell (KY), William Cohen (ME), Thad Cochran, Trent Lott (MS), Robert Bennett, Orrin Hatch (UT), James Jeffords (VT), John Warner (VA), T. Gorton (WA), Alan Simpson, Malcolm Wallop (WY)

Democrats:
Howell Heflin (AL) Dennis DeConcini (AZ), Dale Bumpers, David Pryor (AR) Barara Boxer, Dianne Feinstein (CA), Max Baucus (MT), J. Exon, J. Kerrey (NE), Richard Bryan, Harry Reid (NV), William Bradley, Frank Lautenberg (NJ), Jef Bingaman (NM), Daniel Moynihan (NY), John Glenn, Howard Metzenbaum (OH), David Boren (OK), Harris Wofford (PA), Claiborne Pell (RI), Ernest Hollings (SC), Tom Daschle (SD), Harlan Matthews, James Sasser (TN), Chris Dodd, Joe Lieberman (CT), Joe Biden (DE), Bob Graham (FL), Sam Nunn (GA), Daniel Akaka, Daniel Inouye (HI), Carol Braun (IL), Thomas Harkin (IA), Wendell Ford (KY), John Breaux, John Johnston (LA), George Mitchell (ME), Barbara Mikulski, Paul Sarbanes (MD), Edward Kennedy, John Kerry (MA), Carl Levin, Don Riegle (MI), Paul Wellstone (MN), Pat Leahy (VT), Charles Robb (VA), Patty Murray (WA), Robert Byrd, John Rockefeller (WV), Herbert Kohl (WI)

HR6257, the Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act of 2008 was authored by three Republicans and no Democrats.

The NRA started to teach people how to shoot. It was not a political organization. You don't have to dig too deep to see the many disgraceful ways the NRA has capitulated on gun-control laws. It is what it is. But it sure isn't the GOA or JPFO.

Putting an organization like the NRA or a party like the GOP on a pedestal will get you burned. Don't mistakenly believe either party, as a whole, stands for anything because neither party does.
you let out the hughes amendment on the firearm owners protection act( what a load that is)

Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #52

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I find in kind of infuriating that all this attention is being paid to one position in the election, that of the POTUS.

He's one guy! Even if it's Romney or the man in the moon, it's one friggin guy.

Take away the support around him - the pacts, the good ol boy network, the "This for That" favor tree and he's basically powerless.

Just because he's President there is this belief that he is suddenly going to part the political waters and make everything better. Isn't that what we saw from several communities when Obama was elected?

And 4 years later?? Not so much...

Vote out the incumbents! Get the career politicians out of office and into the private sector where they can be judged based on performance and suffer very real job loss propositions for their piss poor performance!

Everyone here thinks they can do a better job than most of the elected officials. Let's prove it by getting new blood in the mix.

JD

Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #53

Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i looked up the Gun Control Act of 1968 and looked up the one Hitler drew up in 1933 i believe and the wording and context are so similar, you would almost think the same person wrote both. scary!

another member, i can't recall who, mentioned voting also with our wallets. this made very good sense. we as gun owners need to do only business with companies and establishments that support the 2nd admendment and gun owners. let's hurt them where it really makes a difference, the bottom line of their profits. this along with voting in November for the candidates that support our rights, could cause a positive change in attitudes towards gun rights. lets see about making some type of list that lists business's and companies that are pro anti-gun and as gun owners and supporters of the 2nd admendment, refuse to do any business with them. let them feed off the liberals!
I couldnt agree more!!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #54

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter88

I couldnt agree more!!
Well...yes and no....

If we hurt their bottom line too much the feds and the Ben Bernanke will just bail them out at our expense anyway!

Submit!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Dillinger for Governor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #56

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
Dillinger for Governor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn, you don't live in my district or I would have one sure vote.

JD

Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #57

Liked 42 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The funny thing is that the more anti gun legislation that is passed the more people go out and buy them. Its human nature when you tell people they cant have something they want it. My local gun store in turlock is packed with people every day buying guns. I have purchased around 20 guns since obummer got elected and I have many friends who have done the same. So far the anti gun politicians are a gun companys best friend.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #58
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Damn, you don't live in my district or I would have one sure vote.

JD
You're too smart to sully your good name by going into politics.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #59

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Here is the bottom line in all these discussions, the government can take your 2nd Amendment away only if you let them. The government can take away your guns only if you let them. The government can make the ATT law if you let them. The government can make you buy any product they choose only if you let them.

Are you going to let them?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #60

Liked 248 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Here is the bottom line in all these discussions, the government can take your 2nd Amendment away only if you let them. The government can take away your guns only if you let them. The government can make the ATT law if you let them. The government can make you buy any product they choose only if you let them.

Are you going to let them?
One person can resist to the extreme and die. Many banded together can make a much bigger impact. It's been done many times before my friend, we just need to galvanize together and make our point. More than one way to do that too.

Closed Thread