Garand Importation Ban - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Garand Importation Ban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

As a result of Heller isn't it inappropriate for the Federal government to ban importing any firearms that don't fall into NFA (class III) categories?

Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
As a result of Heller isn't it inappropriate for the Federal government to ban importing any firearms that don't fall into NFA (class III) categories?

I thought Heller was just a second ammendment issue? How does it apply to the import ban? Just curious

Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
I wouldn't mind having a Garand... They shoot .30-06, right?

yes, they do!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
I thought Heller was just a second ammendment issue? How does it apply to the import ban? Just curious
Sorry, I meant McDonald. And yes, it's "just a second amendment issue."

Old 09-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Sorry, I meant McDonald. And yes, it's "just a second amendment issue."

LOL Thanks. I started reading all of the text on that case and couldn't find anything on import bans (whew) thought I was going cross eyed for a little bit. But the McDonald case is also a 2A case only based in Chicago. Not trying to be a P.I.T.A. (pain in the a**) but still looking for the litigation corolation on import bans..

Last edited by TheOldMan; 09-02-2010 at 05:34 PM.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #16

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The mess is that since the weapons were given to the South Korean Government by the United States Government, the administration has construed that the State Department should be involved. Since we have a Progressive Liberal and a potential Democratic Candidate for President as Secretary of State this is just another political decision.

There is no reason other than that for the Ban!!

Again, this is a slap in the face for every veteran of the Korean War!!

Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #17

Likes Given: 1

Exclamation State Department Blocking Return M1 Garands and Carbines

I just received an email a while ago from the NRA reporting that the Dept. of State is blocking the return of approx. 800,000 M1 Garands and carbines from South Korea. (The 800,000 figure seems a little out of whack? Maybe 80,000?)

Now I understand why, when the CMP announced they were out of M1 Carbines, that they also said they did not expect to get any more.

The Brady Campaign is reported as saying, these guns are a "threat to public safety".

Here's a link to the article:

NRA-ILA :: State Department Squirms On Garand And Carbine Imports

I urge that those of us who are so inclined should contact our Congressional Reps and Senators and kindly and politely demand they get this position changed!

I don't feel I'm a "threat to public safety". How about you?

Nothing like a little gun control through the back door while no one is looking.....

I seem to recall that when the Clinton Admin. was in full sway, they had thousands of these historic firearms (you know, the ones that won WWII), destroyed. Can you imagine it? True pieces of American history crushed and ground up like so much scrap?

BEYU

Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1417 Posts
Likes Given: 4080

The people who are driving the crusade for the re-importation of those guns from Korea forgot to tell you the whole story. This is often the case when someone stands to make a lot of money by selling ratty worn out guns at high prices.

The ban on re-importation of M1 rifles and M1 carbines predates the Obama administration. This ban dates back to 1994 when Bill Clinton declared them illegal for re-importation under the "sporting purposes" clause of the Gun Control Act of 1968. Fact is that Bush I and Bill Clinton had a wonderful old time gutting our 2nd amendment rights by outlawing the import of semi-auto military weapons under the "sporting purposes" clause.

BTW: In February, 1994 Bill Clinton banned the import of of "street sweeper" shotguns under the 1934 National Firearms Act.

NRA-ILA : Clinton Gun Ban

Old 09-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #19

Likes Given: 1

Default Law governing importation....

I do not pretend to know the ins and outs of the various laws that pertain to the importation of surplus arms into the US.

But I do know that M1 carbines were returned in late years, from Greece and Italy (I believe). I know this because CMP was selling M1 carbines up until the last month or so, until they ran out. I bought one of them about a year ago.

So, the importation of these weapons must be allowed, at least under specific (perhaps limited) circumstances.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1417 Posts
Likes Given: 4080

The CMP guns that came back from Europe had been given to those countries through Lend-Lease. The deal was that those guns would be sent back to the US. Lend-Lease ended in the 1940s.

The guns that Korea has were donated to that country.

BTW: In the 90s Clinton and his anti-gunners had most of the US inventory of M14 rifles destroyed. Many of the M14 rifles going to US troops are guns that were donated to foreign countries. The US asked for them back.