Originally Posted by --nick--
All that time seems odd just for a FOID card? especially when they can make me a driver's license in less than 5 minutes.
It's government work. Each part of the operation has a specific person.
1. Your application has to be delivered.
2. The application has to be retrieved by the 1st employee.
3. The application has to be taken to the proper dept. by a 2nd.employee
4 It then sits in the in box for 1 week (see how this works)
5. The envelope is then Xrayed and a bomb squad goes over it (employee
3 and 4, and a dog)
6. Another employee actually opens the envelope. (#5)
7. Another employee begins the actual background check (#6)
8. Another employee takes the information to the card laminator (#7,)
9 The card laminator (#8) calls the maintenance guy (#9) because it
won't work properly. (he plugs it in himself, eliminating #10)
10. The laminator has to warm up....2 day wait.
11. The laminator calls an office clerk (#10) to take it up for approval
12. It gets signed and placed in an envelope. (#11)
13. The envelope gets licked (#12)
14. It gets sent to you.
So there you have it, 12 employees have personally handled your FOID application. And you wonder why it took so long.