Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > FOID CARD - 57 day wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
ah yes, its illinois remember?

i applied for three at the same time in fall of 2009, and they all came at different times but all within 4-9 weeks or so

i think things have been slowing down since though, i mean remember, the state is bankrupt....its amazing to me its not worse. a call to inquire with the ISP wont hurt. I just talked to my uncle the other day who had a renewal in and he hadn't heard anything in over 60 days so he happened to ask a state trooper he ran into and that fortunately was enough to get him to look into it and get it processed. not everyone is that lucky, i know...but i think a call down state wouldn't hurt.

i never posted this but the NRA has filed a lawsuit (earlier this week) against the state of IL for recently blocking the CCW bill and infringing on its citizens 2nd ammendment rights....i think the GOA is in on this on too.

hang in there, like we do for spring weather.....
Could you tell me more about this lawsuit please cause im having the darndest time getting my card

Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #32

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

Its just as bad as you think it really is , I had to renew mine this past yr and it took just over 60 days for a renewal , I sent mine in a week before my wife and she had hers in 3 weeks and she was a new card holder . WTH????? In the mean time mine had expired the week before my new card finally showed up.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #33

Cook county Illinois here... same story

The date on my check says 1-25-13(date I wrote it and mailed it)
The date that the funds were cleared: 2/14/13 (over 2 weeks)

The date I received my FOID card: still waiting (today is 3/6/2013)

"Illinois is Ill annoying"

Old 03-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #34

Liked 203 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 40

70,000 new FOID apps in Illinois during February, to be processed by one little office by the State Police. Don't count on any new funding by Illinois to increase staff or speed up the process.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #35

GTX63 - if that's true then it's hard to decide whether to be happy or not - I guess the money is being spend on more traffic controllers

Old 03-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #36

That figure came from Tom Schafer, with the Sangamon County Rifle Association. FOIDs for the entire state of Illinois are processed in one tiny office outside of Springfield, by a staff that takes every second of the thirty day limit to it's max when times are slow. Putting satellite offices in North, East, West and Southern Illinois would greatly expediate the processing of our "permits", but then, that would go against those who know best for us.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #37
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8360

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63 View Post
That figure came from Tom Schafer, with the Sangamon County Rifle Association. FOIDs for the entire state of Illinois are processed in one tiny office outside of Springfield, by a staff that takes every second of the thirty day limit to it's max when times are slow. Putting satellite offices in North, East, West and Southern Illinois would greatly expediate the processing of our "permits", but then, that would go against those who know best for us.
Illinois is so poorly run financially they couldn't put in more offices. They just closed the unemployment office closest to me due to budget cuts. So now those State workers are on unemployment themselves. I find that Ironic. We use all our tax money here in Illinois putting our politicians through the legal system.

And my ex worked for the State of Illinois until he retired this past January. I guarantee you none of them know how to hustle. My ex would get to work at 0800 and read the newspaper and drink coffee until 0900. Then he would start his day. No one sees to it that anyone works efficiently, if at all.

I remember taking my youngest son to the DMV to get his driver's license when he was 16. There was a long wait, (again, no one working with any sense of urgency) and we were just kind of sitting there people watching. At one point I realized there was not a soul behind the counter serving patrons. I looked at the clock. It was about 1005. I pointed out to my son that I think they all went on break at once, unannounced. We watched the clock. Sure enough, at 1015 or so, all the workers were back behind the counter. I was incredulous.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #38

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I used to live in Illinois, and I have a FOID card, expired though. I don't recall so I'll ask, what exactly does the posession of a Foid card do when buying a gun? Does a background check still have to be done? Does Illinois still have the 3 day for handgun and 1 day for long gun waiting period? I seem to remember having to show my FOID card to buy ammo. Here in Missouri it's a bit different. No Foid, no waiting period. Pick a gun, the dealer runs a NICS check, pay for it and go.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #39
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
I used to live in Illinois, and I have a FOID card, expired though. I don't recall so I'll ask, what exactly does the posession of a Foid card do when buying a gun? Does a background check still have to be done? Does Illinois still have the 3 day for handgun and 1 day for long gun waiting period? I seem to remember having to show my FOID card to buy ammo. Here in Missouri it's a bit different. No Foid, no waiting period. Pick a gun, the dealer runs a NICS check, pay for it and go.
Yes, I believe a FOID card is a background check. Though when I buy a new gun I still must wait the 3 day waiting period for another background check. I have to show my FOID card to buy ammo, too. I don't really know why there is a 3 day waiting period. I'm not sure if they run another background check or what.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #40

The FOID card means you are "approved" to own a gun. You go to the gun store and pick one out, show them your FOID and then you fill out a brand new 4473. Doesn't matter if it is your 1st gun or your 50th. Once the background check is cleared and paid for, you wait the 24 hours for the long gun and 72 hours for the hand gun. Ammunition cannot be sold to anyone in Illinois without a FOID card. And the politicians here are still fretting about Dodge City about to break loose.