FOID CARD - 57 day wait? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > FOID CARD - 57 day wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default FOID schmoid

As of today, Illinois is the only state that doesn't allow concealed carry...Wisconsin just passed a CCW law and it awaits the governors signature. When I lived in Illinois I got my card in about 3 weeks. Chicago has always been 50 years behind and out of touch with the rest of the country. Parts of Chicago are like the wild west after dark. As long as Illinois has it's backwards, corrupt, hands in everyones pockets politicians nothing will change.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:50 AM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2271 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 821

My brother in law never did receive his FOID. Although I encouraged him to follow up on it and find out what happened, he just shrugged his shoulders.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
My brother in law never did receive his FOID. Although I encouraged him to follow up on it and find out what happened, he just shrugged his shoulders.
Hmm, that's not right. He should have his FOID card or a letter of denial, normally, within a 30 day period.

On a second note, I finally got my FOID card and purchased an XDm .40. The whole process was long and drawn out (partially my fault). I had to order the XDm because I wanted an atypical color scheme so that took a week and a half for my FFL to receive the firearm. Once it finally came in I had to wait 3 additional days according to IL law. Well, the 72 hour period fell on a Sunday at 8:00pm and what do you know.... the shop closes at 6:00pm on Sundays.

So... I had to wait until I got off work the next day.
I didn't have any plans to go shooting that day (or even that week) so it wasn't a big deal but it's just the principle. It is one giant, annoying waiting game...

Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #14

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Illinois still believes that in that 72 hour wait you will change your mind about a life of crime. It's worked so well for the streets of Chicago, hasn't it?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #15

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

As Fuzzball said "Robo is right". It is illegal & I think a little scare tactic should readjust their attention span. Sorry to hear about all the bs, reminds me of the DMV.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 06-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VXASUXV View Post
To make a long story short I sent my FOID card application in, what seems to be, quite some time ago. I've been doing a large amount of research with regards to which firearm I want to purchase. So naturally, I would like to fire some of these guns to get a better feel for them, thus, making a more educated decision as to which is the best option for me.

Problem is... I can't even touch a gun (legally, yet, respectfully) until I get my FOID card. I went into a gun shop and they won't even let you look at the gun unless you present your FOID card.

According to IL Law, legally, a FOID card has to be presented within 30 days (unless disqualified) of receiving the application. I called to get a status on the FOID card and they claim to have a waiting period of 57 days from the day your check was cashed. It took them two weeks just to cash the check to cover the cost for the background check (from the day that I mailed the check). Now I know snail mail is slow... but it doesn't take more than 2 days for mail to get from my hometown to Springfield.

Is there anything I can do?
How is this even constitutional? I thought NY was bad!

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 06-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound View Post
Illinois still believes that in that 72 hour wait you will change your mind about a life of crime. It's worked so well for the streets of Chicago, hasn't it?
If someone was serious enough about using a firearm unlawfully, do you think it would really matter what type of firearm they'd be willing to use? Pistols have a 72 hour wait period... rifles and shotguns are 24 hours. I don't know... that just seems like a no-brainer; even for an idiot bad-guy.

Even at that, someone twisted enough to use a firearm unlawfully is most likely going to obtain a firearm unlawfully/illegally. Same goes for the whole CCW/CCL debate. I bet the number of people concealing weapons in the state of Illinois is mind-blowing (not including off-duty officers, etc). I can bet that a HUGE majority of people concealing illegally are the same people who own/purchased a firearm illegally. This kinda touches on what Missouribound said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdee View Post
How is this even constitutional? I thought NY was bad!
*Shrugs shoulders*

Old 06-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Sorry to say, not uncommon. The whole point of the FOID is to make the purchase of a firearms such a burden that people opt out rather than go through it. This allows the State to avoid outright infringement of your rights as long as the Courts say the requirement is "reasonable." Yes it sucks...here in New Jersey you can wait 6 months for a FOID although the law clearly states that the card shall be issued in 30.
It took my friend 5 months here in NJ for his FOID card.
It took me 4 weeks for my hand gun permit and FOID. I had a retired cop as one of the reference's. He talked to the police sergeant and told him I was returning the application. Just goes to show how here in NJ they will make you wait unless you know the right people.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #19

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I see all of these folks noting the delays for a card to give them the privilege to purchase a firearm and it makes me glad I live in Nevada. But, it also provides continuing reason for me to remain actively involved in the "movement" to pressure politicians in ALL states to get rid of these arcane and restrictive legislative roadblocks to a persons' Second Amendment rights.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #20

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

FOID cards and waiting periods simply make me angry... I feel it is important that a perspective firearm owner be subjected to a background check but they might as well strap me down to a waterboard so much as issue a FOID card... Thank God I live in Missouri where I can walk into a shop and walk out with a tactical handgun or single shot shotgun in under an hour!