Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > FOID CARD - 57 day wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default FOID CARD - 57 day wait?

To make a long story short I sent my FOID card application in, what seems to be, quite some time ago. I've been doing a large amount of research with regards to which firearm I want to purchase. So naturally, I would like to fire some of these guns to get a better feel for them, thus, making a more educated decision as to which is the best option for me.

Problem is... I can't even touch a gun (legally, yet, respectfully) until I get my FOID card. I went into a gun shop and they won't even let you look at the gun unless you present your FOID card.

According to IL Law, legally, a FOID card has to be presented within 30 days (unless disqualified) of receiving the application. I called to get a status on the FOID card and they claim to have a waiting period of 57 days from the day your check was cashed. It took them two weeks just to cash the check to cover the cost for the background check (from the day that I mailed the check). Now I know snail mail is slow... but it doesn't take more than 2 days for mail to get from my hometown to Springfield.

Is there anything I can do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Sorry to say, not uncommon. The whole point of the FOID is to make the purchase of a firearms such a burden that people opt out rather than go through it. This allows the State to avoid outright infringement of your rights as long as the Courts say the requirement is "reasonable." Yes it sucks...here in New Jersey you can wait 6 months for a FOID although the law clearly states that the card shall be issued in 30.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #3

The whole concept of a FOID card doesn't make sense to me. It seems a little redundant if you ask me.

You get a background check for the initial FOID application... then another background check and status check for that FOID card when you actually purchase a gun? Then another X day waiting period to pick up the gun. It seems like a big waiting game to me...

Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6752 Times on 4080 Posts
Likes Given: 8065

I live in DeKalb County, Illinois. It took me about 3 weeks for me to receive my FOID card.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

Default foid card wait

My wife and I sent foid apps. the same day. Hers new mine a renewel. She got her card in 2 weeks, I waited over 2 months. My card actually expired while I was waiting!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #6

Liked 125 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 213

ah yes, its illinois remember?

i applied for three at the same time in fall of 2009, and they all came at different times but all within 4-9 weeks or so

i think things have been slowing down since though, i mean remember, the state is bankrupt....its amazing to me its not worse. a call to inquire with the ISP wont hurt. I just talked to my uncle the other day who had a renewal in and he hadn't heard anything in over 60 days so he happened to ask a state trooper he ran into and that fortunately was enough to get him to look into it and get it processed. not everyone is that lucky, i know...but i think a call down state wouldn't hurt.

i never posted this but the NRA has filed a lawsuit (earlier this week) against the state of IL for recently blocking the CCW bill and infringing on its citizens 2nd ammendment rights....i think the GOA is in on this on too.

hang in there, like we do for spring weather.....

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Last edited by Mack Bolan; 05-17-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:19 AM   #7

Default 57 day wait my butt

My wife and I sent in applications in at the begining of April. they cashed my checks in mid April its now mid June and still nothing. Damn state can take my money and not give anything back, I let my foid card lapse over a year ago and now I have to have a friend keep my 22 that needs to be repaired and a pellet gun that is as strong as a 22 because the state cant get off thier arses and process the information.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2601 Times on 1368 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Are you an NRA or GOA member? Join and contact them about filing a law suit against the state. If they are not in compliance wtih their own law, you should win. Firearms advocacy groups are starting to use the courts to make things happen.

The delay is unacceptable and ILLEGAL!

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8428 Times on 3655 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Quote:
Is there anything I can do?
Realtor.com can help you find a house, U-Haul can help you move. My Virginia Concealed CARRY license took 3 DAYS. We don't even HAVE an FOID, and no waiting periods.

You can come on down- we have had Yankees from Illinois here in Virginia before....

Realistically, make a call to the ISP- if you get no satisfaction, a letter to them, with a reminder of what the law requires. Address it to the Chief.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Sounds like the system is working just like the hoplophobic lawmakers want it to work.

To improve the "system" you have two choices;

1. Work from within to bring change
  2. Move

Complaining here is what is called commiseration. Joining together to force the change is what is called freedom*!

* Freedom; Absence of subjection to a despotic government.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello