Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Florida to Review Stand Your Ground

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I'm very familiar with the Big Bend area. We only arrested one homeowner, but it was obviously staged. For the most part we looked at it as street justice. Of course that was back when we could kill somebody for bouncing a $100 check and running from us when we went to serve the warrant. *sigh* Those were the good old days.
Yes indeed!

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

etbob9 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #32

Liked 547 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 683

Ill probably get hammered for this post but consider this:

I have read about everything I can find online and watched the media do their service to the viewers. I do not know any more than anyone else who did not serve on the jury or attend the trial and hear first hand all the evidence. But...

What if...

GZ made a 911 phone call. He was told to stay in the vehicle. He didnt. He went after TM.

What if TM felt threatened by GZ?

The fact that the grounds where this took place is semi-public meaning someone can invite someone over and the invited person has a right to be there. TM had a right to be where he was. GZ didnt know TM business before this began or after for that matter. TM didnt have a gun. He didnt have anything to defend himself so he used the sidewalk.

What if GZ had his gun out before their confrontation and just pushed it into TM while they were wrestling on the ground?

It just bothers me that GZ went out of his way to pursue TM. I cant get that out of my head.

I dont know what I would do if someone was following me but I may stop and confront them too. I dont think their size would be a factor unless they were a child. But a man in the dark?

I dont have much opinion either way but just offer this for thought.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 08-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #33
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1286 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 3195

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post

I have read about everything I can find online and watched the media do their service to the viewers. I do not know any more than anyone else who did not serve on the jury or attend the trial and hear first hand all the evidence. But...

What if...

GZ made a 911 phone call. He was told to stay in the vehicle. He didnt. He went after TM.

The fact that the grounds where this took place is semi-public meaning someone can invite someone over and the invited person has a right to be there. TM had a right to be where he was. GZ didnt know TM business before this began or after for that matter. TM didnt have a gun. He didnt have anything to defend himself so he used the sidewalk.

What if GZ had his gun out before their confrontation and just pushed it into TM while they were wrestling on the ground?

It just bothers me that GZ went out of his way to pursue TM. I cant get that out of my head.

I dont know what I would do if someone was following me but I may stop and confront them too. I dont think their size would be a factor unless they were a child. But a man in the dark?

These are good questions!!

Unfortunately we will never get the answers to them because the one that can answer them has been acquitted and is no longer talking and double jeopardy prevents him from being tried for it again.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
locutus Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

There were no marks on Martin to indicate that Zimmerman ever attacked, or hit him. Zimmerman had a broken nose and head injuries.

Following a person, even if it frightens them is not legal grounds for physical assault.

It seems pretty clear to me who the aggressor was.

Zimmerman cooperated completely with investigating officers. He never asked for a lawyer. He had nothing to hide that I can see.

Mason609 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 AM   #35

Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:

What if...

You do understand that the Stand You're Ground law has absolutely nothing to do with that case right?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #36
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1724 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

Quote:

What if...

He didn't have anything to defend himself so he used the sidewalk? Martin was not "defending" himself. He was attacking Zimmerman. His actions against Zimmerman were considered aggravated battery in Florida, which is a felony.

If he felt threatened by Zimmerman he had two legal choices. Neither one of them included attacking the creepy ass cracker from ambush. He could have gone to where he was staying to called 911 or he could have gone back to the convenience store and called 911. Wait, there's a third choice. He could have asked the friend he was on the phone with to call 911 for him. He did none of these.

Let's address the TM didn't have a gun statement. How could Zimmerman know this? Martin didn't know Zimmerman had a gun. If he had known it the whole night might have ended differently. He might have decided not to give Zimmerman that therapeutic dose of whoop-azz.

Quote:
Umm, you do know that Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch captain, don't you? What I can't get out of my head is the fact that Martin decided to wait in ambush for a person he knew was white. This was definitely a hate crime, but who hated who? It was definitely racially motivated, but which one of the people was motivated? No, Martin bit off more than he could chew. You see where he is now, don't you?

Old 08-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here is another way of looking at it.

If the GZ and TM had Identified themselves to each other and stated their reason for being where they were, this whole situation may have been avoided. Just saying.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
locutus Likes This 
Old 08-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #38

Liked 547 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 683

SigArmored - yes I fully understand. My reference to "Grounds" was the area, not about laws.

Doc3402 - No, I didnt know GZ was the Neighborhood Watch Captain. I have not heard or read that before. All I read is he was a Neighborhood Watch Volunteer.

TDS92A - Communication may have drastically changed the outcome.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 08-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #39

Liked 266 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 453

Good luck to all of you great Florida folks. I'll say a prayer asking for your victory.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A prayer always helps, no matter the situation.

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior1256 View Post
Good luck to all of you great Florida folks. I'll say a prayer asking for your victory.
People Like This