Florida to Review Stand Your Ground - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Florida to Review Stand Your Ground

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6595 Times on 3674 Posts
Likes Given: 6244

Betcha that "review" goes absolutely nowhere.

"Okay folks, we took another good hard look at it, we still like it, get over it."

People Like This 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #12

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

I don't think anyone is "caving to Jackson." There is a debate of the general population of Fl. over whether a person should be able to create a dangerous situation, then claim self defense, if it blows up in their face.

I do not believe any substantial changes will come from a legislative review of the law.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

Quote:
It was done to get the morons out of the state capitol.

Pepper spray would have worked.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6595 Times on 3674 Posts
Likes Given: 6244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I don't think anyone is "caving to Jackson." There is a debate of the general population of Fl
over whether a person should be able to create a dangerous situation, then claim self defense, if it blows up in their face.

I dunno Fl law well enough to know if that is an issue.

Here in WY, the aggressor cannot claim self defense. To me, that is a very good law.

In all of the evidence that I've seen, Martin was the aggressor. Simply following someone is never justification for physical attack. Even verbal abuse does not usually rise to the level of justifying physical assault.

FL law must be quite different.
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
"elected reprehensible" - now THAT'S funny! Permission to use that, Doc?

As far as the article, what did anyone expect? A special-interest group that all white politicians are scared to death to stand against screams at the top of their lungs and keeps screaming with no one opposing them or telling them to shut up. So the politicians do the only thing they can do -send it to committee for rereview. This will tie it up for months or years and the public will either forget or not care when the committee tells them what we already know.

The best thing we can do, even those of us outside of Florida, is write to Florida Representatives and tell them how damaging their giving into this racist terrorism will be to their state, and in principal, to every other state that has established SYG laws. There is no crime in NOT retreating from a criminal, no matter what his skin color happens to be.
Go right ahead and use it. Just be glad I cleaned it up to what I ended up posting.

We had committee meetings, public forums, and Lord knows what else on SYG before the trial. It passed muster, then, and I believe it will pass muster again. I would hate to go back to the time we were legally obligated to retreat our butts right out of our own home if someone broke in.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I don't think anyone is "caving to Jackson." There is a debate of the general population of Fl. over whether a person should be able to create a dangerous situation, then claim self defense, if it blows up in their face.

I do not believe any substantial changes will come from a legislative review of the law.
So who created the dangerous situation? According to the police tape it wasn't Zimmerman. Remember now, he was acquitted. The people on the jury had a lot more information than any one of us, and they reached a verdict of not guilty.

For your reading enjoyment:

Quote:
(3) A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.
Did you catch the part about A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be?
Old 08-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #17

Liked 644 Times on 389 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks Doc for the statute for others here not in Florida. SYG has NEVER allowed a person to "pick a fight", get in over their head and claim SYG after they shot the other guy. This is all made up by the media and anti-rights people since SYG was passed in 2005.

What these people need to understand is the only reason they should be scared of people like me is if they try to rob/rape/murder/asault/etc. me or people I'm with. Don't commit a violent felony in Florida and you won't get shot(unless by a criminal).

I thought the announcement of the review would clear out the Capitol. Apparently not. Those sorry excuses for citizens are still there. When confronted about all the rising costs associated with protecting the Capitol from them, their "leader" said, "We can save the taxpayers some money by reducing the police presence. We are capable of policing ourselves." Did I just hear that correctly? A criminal telling people to send the cops home bc they are able to police themselves.

And then to top it off Jesse "I Don't Work" Jackson compared this to Selma, AL in the 60's. I don't recall police sicking dogs on these people in the Capitol and beating and abusing them just because they were black. Florida has allowed food and water to be brought in and hasn't abused any of them. A far cry from Selma if you ask me.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Thanks Doc for the statute for others here not in Florida. SYG has NEVER allowed a person to "pick a fight", get in over their head and claim SYG after they shot the other guy. This is all made up by the media and anti-rights people since SYG was passed in 2005.

What these people need to understand is the only reason they should be scared of people like me is if they try to rob/rape/murder/asault/etc. me or people I'm with. Don't commit a violent felony in Florida and you won't get shot(unless by a criminal).

I thought the announcement of the review would clear out the Capitol. Apparently not. Those sorry excuses for citizens are still there. When confronted about all the rising costs associated with protecting the Capitol from them, their "leader" said, "We can save the taxpayers some money by reducing the police presence. We are capable of policing ourselves." Did I just hear that correctly? A criminal telling people to send the cops home bc they are able to police themselves.

And then to top it off Jesse "I Don't Work" Jackson compared this to Selma, AL in the 60's. I don't recall police sicking dogs on these people in the Capitol and beating and abusing them just because they were black. Florida has allowed food and water to be brought in and hasn't abused any of them. A far cry from Selma if you ask me.
SYG is a huge turn around from what we had not too long ago, as is our version of the Castle Doctrine. To think that the law required us to abandon our own homes if possible so the criminal could plunder at will. Ridiculous.

Did you know the duty to retreat allegedly existed to protect the homeowner? I heard one cynical old cop explain that it was put in place to protect you from lawsuits. You let the punk take everything you have now so they don't have to sue you for it later.

My personal opinion is it's about time we returned some rights to the law abiding person and took them away from the criminal. Of course we do seem to have a problem identifying exactly what a criminal is in this country. I mean, illegal immigrants are not criminals, so I guess that guy helping himself to your property and you wife isn't, either.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1291 Times on 627 Posts
Likes Given: 77

The Tampa Tribune has published a column on the stand your ground debate. The Tampa Trib is pretty liberal, and this guy seems to think it is just a waste of time as it will be reviewed.

http://tbo.com/list/columns-jhenderson/henderson-donx2019t-expect-x2018stand-your-groundx2019-overhaul-20130806/

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1369 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 3476

Quote:

Hey Chain,

Think about what you wrote above and then read this:

http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/freedomline/current/in_our_opinion/florida-self-defense-law.htm

There is also a link for the four page document that explains the law. No where in it does it say that we Floridians have the right to create a dangerous situation and then claim self defense.
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
People Like This