Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Florida lawmakers want to expand SYG law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20921 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I always figured that deadly force was for imminent risk of death or great bodily harm. The operative word to me was imminent. If I am at imminent risk I don't think I want to take a warning shot.

Here's the part that I think is going to hurt us. Where warning shots were illegal, what is going to happen now? I can see some poor slob that had to shoot to live trying to explain from the witness stand why he didn't fire a warning shot. I can see the jury being swayed by the fact that he didn't try to scare off his attacker first. This reeks.
that's a good point Doc. not one i considered either. and i can see your point and if in a case it got as far as a trial, it could be possible for them to use it against a person, for not firing a warning shot first.

a lot will depend on how the statute is written.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
that's a good point Doc. not one i considered either. and i can see your point and if in a case it got as far as a trial, it could be possible for them to use it against a person, for not firing a warning shot first.

a lot will depend on how the statute is written.
Knowing them they will just amend the SYG statute and call it a day. That could end up being very bad.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #33

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post

I always figured that deadly force was for imminent risk of death or great bodily harm. The operative word to me was imminent. If I am at imminent risk I don't think I want to take a warning shot.

Here's the part that I think is going to hurt us. Where warning shots were illegal, what is going to happen now? I can see some poor slob that had to shoot to live trying to explain from the witness stand why he didn't fire a warning shot. I can see the jury being swayed by the fact that he didn't try to scare off his attacker first. This reeks.
My thoughts exactly. IMO warning shots are bad 99% of the time.