Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Florida lawmakers want to expand SYG law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55

i can answer that question. most LEO's are usually backed up by one or more additional officers, have usually been trained in the use of less than lethal weapons to take the BG. they are there to enforce the law and to bring criminals to justice for the most part with the least amount of potential danger to the victim or innocent bystanders.

when a citizen is attacked, their only criteria is to survive an encounter with a BG at whatever means possible. personally, myself i will worry about the legal issues after the fact. my main focus will to be to survive and live through it.
Not sure you understood my question or statement, but I totally agree with your second paragraph.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
The Trayvon Martin crowd wanted hearings into Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law. It should be repealed, they said. They demanded hearings.

The hearings were held.

The lawmakers decided Florida's "Stand Your Ground" laws were good and should actually be expanded.

Oops.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/07/21353112-florida-panel-rejects-bill-to-repeal-stand-your-ground
I'm sorry. I couldn't get through the story. I was laughing too hard. SYG gives you the right to defend yourself? That is effin' hilarious. Oh, God my stomach hurts.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:01 AM   #23

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
...and IIRC, Marissa Alexander left the residence and got a gun and then returned. i can't see being in fear for her life under those circumstances. and she was also offered a three year sentence, but wanted her day in court. she deserves exactly the sentence she got due to her stupidity.
I agree with this if it is the case. If she left and returned with a gun I believe this becomes murder or attempted murder and is premeditated.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
People Like This 
Old 11-18-2013, 04:42 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1390 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 487

According to Joe Biden a warning shot from a shotgun will make any intruder flee.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20051 Times on 11404 Posts
Likes Given: 50589

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
According to Joe Biden a warning shot from a shotgun will make any intruder flee.
you keep right on believing that.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
I agree with this if it is the case. If she left and returned with a gun I believe this becomes murder or attempted murder and is premeditated.
Since nobody was hit she was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm. With anything intended to be used as a weapon this is a third degree felony. With a firearm it is still a third degree felony, but the sentencing guidelines change. Ten years if you have one, twenty years if you have one and fire it, and up to life if you have one, fire it, and hit someone. These are all without possibility of parole, but I understand gain time may apply.

This is the case that has influenced our elected reprehensibles to consider adding the approval of a warning shot to our Stand Your Ground law, even though it had absolutely nothing to do with her standing her ground. She left, she returned with a gun. It took the jury less than 15 minutes to convict her. From the looks of it they took a poll, took a leak, and returned the verdict.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Since nobody was hit she was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm. With anything intended to be used as a weapon this is a third degree felony. With a firearm it is still a third degree felony, but the sentencing guidelines change. Ten years if you have one, twenty years if you have one and fire it, and up to life if you have one, fire it, and hit someone. These are all without possibility of parole, but I understand gain time may apply.

This is the case that has influenced our elected reprehensibles to consider adding the approval of a warning shot to our Stand Your Ground law, even though it had absolutely nothing to do with her standing her ground. She left, she returned with a gun. It took the jury less than 15 minutes to convict her. From the looks of it they took a poll, took a leak, and returned the verdict.
even if warning shots had been permissable at the time of her case, it would still not have done her any good. she left the area, where she claimed she felt threatened, then returned with a gun and shot at her ex. had he followed her out of the house and she had retrieved a gun from her car and shot at him or even shot him, i might have some sympathy in her case.

and she was offered a really sweet deal of three years on aggravated assault charge. if she had taken the deal, she might have only served about a year to a year and a half with good time. she decided to play the game and they threw the book at her. she got exactly as she deserved.
Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
even if warning shots had been permissable at the time of her case, it would still not have done her any good. she left the area, where she claimed she felt threatened, then returned with a gun and shot at her ex. had he followed her out of the house and she had retrieved a gun from her car and shot at him or even shot him, i might have some sympathy in her case.

and she was offered a really sweet deal of three years on aggravated assault charge. if she had taken the deal, she might have only served about a year to a year and a half with good time. she decided to play the game and they threw the book at her. she got exactly as she deserved.
I hear you, but why are they using this case to justify leaning toward okaying warning shots? What are they smoking over in Tallahassee?
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I hear you, but why are they using this case to justify leaning toward okaying warning shots? What are they smoking over in Tallahassee?
i'll say this. i don't fully agree that warning shots are a good idea. you need to be able to account for the rounds you shoot. there is always the possiblity of endangering others when you shoot a warning shot. if you are in fear enough to pull the trigger, then it should be aimed at center mass.

now with all that said, making a warning shot legal, is at least a step in the right direction in regards to LAC's carrying guns and using them to defend themselves.

i look it at it as another small victory over the liberal gun haters.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i'll say this. i don't fully agree that warning shots are a good idea. you need to be able to account for the rounds you shoot. there is always the possiblity of endangering others when you shoot a warning shot. if you are in fear enough to pull the trigger, then it should be aimed at center mass.

now with all that said, making a warning shot legal, is at least a step in the right direction in regards to LAC's carrying guns and using them to defend themselves.

i look it at it as another small victory over the liberal gun haters.
I always figured that deadly force was for imminent risk of death or great bodily harm. The operative word to me was imminent. If I am at imminent risk I don't think I want to take a warning shot.

Here's the part that I think is going to hurt us. Where warning shots were illegal, what is going to happen now? I can see some poor slob that had to shoot to live trying to explain from the witness stand why he didn't fire a warning shot. I can see the jury being swayed by the fact that he didn't try to scare off his attacker first. This reeks.