Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > First time gun owner in ny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time gun owner in ny

I have had recent break ins in my part of town and im loosing alot of sleep thinking about it so ive come to the conclusion its time to get a gun. I have a question, Can I just walk into my local gun store and buy a shot gun like I plan on doing and walk out without signing paperwork and putting my privacy at risk. I know you have to have a permit for pistols but isnt it different for shotguns? Thanks for the help -Joey D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Retired

Liked 2267 Times on 1356 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

Welcome to the FTF. The next time you login, stop by our "Introductions" area and say "Hi".

The best thing to do is to get familiar with the laws of your state. Asking for free legal advice on the internet is not the best source.

A local firearms dealer can assist. The Federal requirement of the BATF 4473 being completed will have to be met if you purchase through a retailer. The form is kept with the retailer for 30 years or if they close shop.

Other state requirements will have to be met. Violating you privacy does not have to be a worry with the firearms dealer, but the state requirements may be something else.

Welcome to the world of firearms ownership, and please, get some training in the safe handling of your new possession.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Deader Bears=Better Bears

Liked 5601 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 4686

Barky dogs are another good anti-burglary tool. Sorry about your geographical disadvantage.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #4

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Taking a basic firearms safety course is a good starting point and you might get some of your questions answered there.