Firearms in personal vehicles at work.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Firearms in personal vehicles at work.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Firearms in personal vehicles at work.

We know that state laws vary regarding the ability of companies to restrict what their employees have in their own vehicles. We also know that pretty much every corporation has verbage in the employment contract that says you can not have weapons on company property. Unless you happen to be the most sought after talent in your field of expertise, you are probably not going to negotiate that out of deal. Most of us are unlikely to opt to stay unemployed and turn down a good job offer because of that rule.
That being said, what are the realities of those policies? Short of having a rifle on a gun rack in your back window, under what circumstance does the company discover a firearm in a private vehicle. Does the shop foreman twist your earlobe and drag you out to the parking lot and demand you open it for his inspection? Who steps forward to demand access to your private property, a private security employee? Local law enforcement maybe? If you were a Cheif of Police or County Sheriff, would you risk the lawsuit that may well result from you officers doing warantless searches on behalf of a private company? Obviously if you work at a Federal facility its a whole other ball game.
My personal tactic, would be to say "get a real cop, with a real search warant for my vehicle, then I will unlock it". Other than that "get stuffed".
If the company wants to fire me for not allowing them into my vehicle so be it, I may not need a job after the lawsuit is settled. Policy says I may not have a firearm in my vehicle, not that they can search through my private property any time they want. They will not do a random search regardless of if I have a gun in it or not.
Just my two cents.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3543 Times on 2030 Posts
Likes Given: 1559

Working on a stateside, US military installation, my vehicle is subject to search by the military police. And my vehicle has been selected once or twice in random checks.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Most private employers have no legal authority to do such a search. No cop is going to do a search without a warrant at the behest of your employer, and no warrant will be issued unless there is suspicion of a crime having been committed. Not obeying company policies is not a crime, but it might get you fired.

If a precondition to employment is agreeing to let them search your car at random (or test you for drugs at random, or do credit checks at random, etc.), then you have to decide whether or not that's OK with you before signing any paperwork.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #4

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thank you Indiana!!! New state law says that my employer cannot fire me for having a firearm in my locked vehicle at work.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #5

Liked 2183 Times on 1196 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

I have a quick access safe bolted to the floor under my driver seat. It is the push button combination type. What is or is not in it is my business. And If by some miracle a search warrant was issued, I would simply exercise my right to remain silent when asked for the combination.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:08 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here in sunny Florida now, we CAN keep a firearm in our vehicle at work - though you must have a CCW. Still, no 'rent-a-cop' can order me to let him search my vehicle. If they suspect me of a crime, they may be able to get a real cop, with a search warrant, to do it.
Hope the state can afford the lawsuit payment. I could retire early.....

Realistically, the gun in the car does me little good being across the street in the parking garge, when I am up on the 11th floor - in the unlikely event some employee 'goes postal'......

Old 07-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #7

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
Realistically, the gun in the car does me little good being across the street in the parking garge, when I am up on the 11th floor - in the unlikely event some employee 'goes postal'......
But that's not what it's for it's for the employee that goes postal and starts to follow you home
Otherwise, you're just screwed

Old 07-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have a quick access safe bolted to the floor under my driver seat. It is the push button combination type. What is or is not in it is my business. And If by some miracle a search warrant was issued, I would simply exercise my right to remain silent when asked for the combination.
Rick, not long ago (a week or two), a federal court said in order to envoke your right to be silent you first have to be Mirandized and then you have to say you are exercising your right to be silent. Just being silent is not exercising the right to be silent, apparently. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #9

Liked 210 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yup. I believe (note i've never had my vehicle searched, or anything such as) but I believe they could get you for obstructing... but I doubt it.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #10

I just read in the Hammond Times yesterday that Indiana law defends the right of any citizen with a permit to have a gun in their car on their employers property, overriding any employer policy.