firearms in military... - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > firearms in military...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've got a similar story to Tango1, I used the Canadian variant of the FAL, we called ours the FN C1-A1, and the heavy barreled version the FN C2-A1. While my personal weapon was usually the C2, and I appreciated the 30 round mags, sometimes, I really thnk the C1 wa the better rifle. I'd toss the heavy barrel in a second, that extra 5 lbs didn't add much to the controlability on full auto, neither were/would have been really effective (our C1 was semi only; but the C2 trigger parts fit, making a C1 fully auto, if we wanted to risk getting our pee-pees spanked for unautorized mods [yes, I also know the 'other' way; but don't think it's appropriate to discuss, nor to detail the excuses I gave my Sgt, about how those little bits of stuff ended-up where they were]).

Though I loved my FN, for all the reasons the Tango1 has, I think the M14 is a better target/designated-marksman rifle. The FN is certainly accurate enough for a battle rifle; but the M14 can be almost as reliable; but way more accurate. The standard 'iron' sights on the M14 are better, though not "pongo proof", they are very adustable (like target rifle sights) but that just makes them more likely to get adjusted by someone that has no real understanding of sight adjustments. The FAL's scope mounting is cobbled together, the M14 was designed, from the outset, for the addition of optical sights.

Though I had only a brief exposure to it, I believe the original AR10 would have made the best battle rifle, especially in the heavy barrel variant. The weight was still reasonable, full auto control was not too bad (considering the full power 7.62 NATO ammo) and accuracy seemed very good.

In an ideal world, a rifle like the original AR10, in a cartridge like the .280 Enfield or 6.5 Grendel would have been the best way to go.

Note, the original AR10 is quite different from the modern AR10, the modern one is really a varient of the AR15, using many of the same components, and has some pretty serious reliability issues (or at least they did, a few years back, maybe they have them well sorted-out now).

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckbig View Post
So, what is the most popular gun that people like in for warfare. I know there are the common rifles which are given, but what are the preffered guns?

Any vets care to share?
Being assigned to a VTR while in the 2nd Armor Division, we track crews hated trying to carry the M16 - just try and get it into position from the drivers hatch or TC Cupola... way to long....

I carried the M3A1 .45 sub-cal. Not very accurate, but it was easy to carry, seldom jammed, and could stop a raging bull at a dead run.... Not to mention is looked way cool!!! The infantry units all drooled when they saw it!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Firearms in Military?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I was navy for 24 years, I really enjoyed my 45 1911A1, shaped what I still like and still carry now! I liked and Have owned the M-14, I had the M1A semi auto equivelent! I got used to the Beretta and though not my Fav as the 1911, I did learn to respect it! I Prefer the BHP for a 9MM! Curently I am using the Enemys fav Item, that of an Maddi, an Egypt Clone and Semi of the Russian AK-47! I have used and enjoy the AR series of Rifles and carbines, but still prefer the M1A and AK for personal reasons!

Old 08-28-2007, 08:40 AM   #14

Further to my previous comments on the Steyr Aug on this thread , reports are now surfacing in the Australian press claiming 'Diggers are being issued with Defective Weapons'. Soldiers returning from Afghanistan and Iraq as well as those still serving, are said to be complaining of weapons jamming, locking and falling apart.

In response we have senior officers adopting the political line saying that in the harsh environments of Iraq/Afghanistan it is 'normal' for weapons to act up. The opposition political party says that if it gains power in the forthcoming election it will 'conduct an audit'. Meanwhile Diggers are expected to face the possibility of death with tactical tupperware that you can't even get the lid off of.

Now I know (for sure) why the SAS carry M4s.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22320805-601,00.html

Old 08-28-2007, 05:13 PM   #15

From an Infantryman who has had the M4 in Iraq, I want a 7.62 to shoot back with. 5.56 doesn't drop people how a 7.62 does. I don't really care for the 9mm Beretta, took an MP at point blank range 2 mags to kill someone (I think it was cause he is 1 a MP and 2 it was a 9mm round). M14's are SDM weapons right now. They have upgraded them with rail systems to fit the lasers and tac lights. I would like to have the SCAR L or SCAR H or HK's 416. Also the mags they give us for the M4/M16 suck. You have to put 27 rounds in them so they still feed after 3 weeks of haveing them loaded. Then if you happen to hit the ground hard, you run the risk of breaking the welds on them. Ive never had my weapon go down due to an issue with the weapon, it was always the mag. (I was happy they gave me the M249 to carry, belt fed weapons = happiness)

Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
The AUG never seems to get any respect. I have never had the chance to handle one. Can anybody tell me why they have such a negative reputation?
The Aug can't be shot left-handed, without significant changes to the firearm. While this is OK from a traditional military standpoint, fighting on open ground, the modern battlefield is more urban, and even right-handed shooters will need to shoot from their left side.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
From an Infantryman who has had the M4 in Iraq, I want a 7.62 to shoot back with. 5.56 doesn't drop people how a 7.62 does.
You are correct, it doesn't. But that's why you practice your controlled pairs. But the ability to carry the more ammunition, at almost 1/2 the weight, is a major advantage.

Quote:
I don't really care for the 9mm Beretta, took an MP at point blank range 2 mags to kill someone (I think it was cause he is 1 a MP and 2 it was a 9mm round).
The shooter is the issue, not the round.
Quote:
M14's are SDM weapons right now. They have upgraded them with rail systems to fit the lasers and tac lights.
According to the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) 3 years ago, they were only a stop-gap measure, until the Army was able to get enough M-16A4s for wide distribution. At this time, the only M-14s being issued should be to National Guard troops.

Quote:
I would like to have the SCAR L or SCAR H or HK's 416.
I understand the SCAR series. With your lack of training in controlled pairs, it makes a lot of sense that you would want a bigger round. But the 416 is still in 5.56. Since you have never had an issue with your rifle, just magazines, it won't solve anything.

Quote:
Also the mags they give us for the M4/M16 suck. You have to put 27 rounds in them so they still feed after 3 weeks of having them loaded.
I have kept magazines loaded for 3 months at a time, and they run just fine. I'm thinking that you just aren't performing the proper maintenance on your weapon system (cleaning your magazines after a patrol). It's very easy. Go to your S-6 and get a can of compressed air. Unload the magazine and spray it down with the air. Reload the magazine. Problem solved.

Note: I do keep magazines loaded to 28 rounds. But that is to facilitate reloading on a closed bolt. I only do this for firearms that use NATO magazines (AR-15 and my Daewoo). There is no need on most of the former Soviet Bloc firearms (AK pattern rifles), because you rock the magazine in.

Quote:
Then if you happen to hit the ground hard, you run the risk of breaking the welds on them.
Where did the ingenuity in the Infantry go to? I picked up from a crusty 11B Staff Sergeant to put some hundred mile an hour tape on the bottom of the mag to prevent that. And I was Military Intelligence. I stopped doing that a while ago, because I've never had an issue with a magazine breaking due to going down hard on it.

Quote:
Ive never had my weapon go down due to an issue with the weapon, it was always the mag. (I was happy they gave me the M249 to carry, belt fed weapons = happiness)
SAW=goodness.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
The AK and AR pattern rifles are the two most common rifle in military service today. The AK has the most widespread use. I prefer the AR for the accuracy, weight, ergonomics, and faster magazine changes myself.
The top five rifles, from production numbers, are:

1.) AK pattern (Low-ball number of 80 million)
2.) M16 pattern (About 20 million)
3.) FAL (About 20 million)
4.) H&K G3 (about 20 million)
5.) Uzi (about 18 million)

Old 08-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #19

My control pairs aren't an issue. I just like to send 7.62 back at who is sending them at me. We had them taped, just with full kit on (about 80 pounds extra) then a 160 pound guy, you can break them on cement.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Since you have never had an issue with your rifle, just magazines, it won't solve anything.
Since ive been in the Armsroom for my company Ive had 2 brand new M4 have messed up trigger and hammer assemblies. these are what their giving us for combat and their breaking out of the box the first time their fired.