You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Firearms Indemnity Insurance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16484 Times on 6795 Posts
Likes Given: 2693

Quote:
Nothing says "intent" like taking out an insurance policy before shooting someone
Would respectfully disagree. Did you plan to run that red light and hit me? You must have- you bought automobile insurance.

We do not intend to injure people that work for us- but we have Worker's Comp insurance.

I do not plan to burn my house down this weekend- but I have Homeowner's insurance.

Not planning on a trip to the hospital tonite.... well, let's not belabor the point. As far as proving intent- unless I shot someone by accident (try really hard not to do that) intent is not the issue- oh Hell YES I meant to shoot him- he was coming at me with a jack handle. The issue is going to be defending your actions- both in a criminal case and in a civil case.

If I am being sued (and yep, have been sued) I am going to want a really competent lawyer. Priced one lately? Gospel of John, chapter 11, verse 35.

If I am arrested (never have been- yet) I am going to want that competent lawyer MUCH more.
People Like This 
Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 PM   #12

Liked 7402 Times on 3641 Posts
Likes Given: 2321

Lawyers exist to make money.

I could be wrong, but I imagine that if a prosecutor were to use your prior retainer as evidence against you, thus discouraging people from seeking retainers, the entire lawyers guild would take that prosecutor behind the woodshed after dark...

Galatians 5:22-23

Pray for the hundreds of thousands of innocent people being killed by Islam across the world.
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2017, 12:52 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6992 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 33081

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post

I could be wrong, but I imagine that if a prosecutor were to use your prior retainer as evidence against you, thus discouraging people from seeking retainers, the entire lawyers guild would take that prosecutor behind the woodshed after dark...
Now I'm almost wishing to see that, for just that reason.

and yes, some prosecutors will go to that level, to try to paint the picture of you in the worst light possible, just not that many. However, it would take a pretty weak case, and the kind of lawyer that doesn't need the door opened to enter the room, for that to happen.

I may live in the North, but I still uphold the Southern Values I was raised with.

lifetime member. NAHC, NRA, And SCOPE NY

If it's a nice enough day to wash the bike, it's d@mn well also a nice enough day to be riding it instead.
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2017, 01:03 AM   #14

Liked 8171 Times on 4466 Posts
Likes Given: 13924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post

of course they do! like any other profession requiring years of schooling, they don't do it simply to enjoy the time spent getting that law degree.

i don't begrudge them one bit for the money they make. a good lawyer when you need one, is worth their weight in gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Now I'm almost wishing to see that, for just that reason.

and yes, some prosecutors will go to that level, to try to paint the picture of you in the worst light possible, just not that many. However, it would take a pretty weak case, and the kind of lawyer that doesn't need the door opened to enter the room, for that to happen.
there are bottom-feeding lawyers on both sides of the aisle. some defend, and some prosecute.

and honorable and moral prosecutor will not stoop to dirty deeds or trickery to win a case. they will fight fairly and passionately for what is right and just.
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #15

Liked 311 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 203

I currently pay the $13 monthly fee to the U.S. Concealed Carry Association for coverage and associated benefits (great magazine and so-so videos). Before I did so, I called them to see how many cases they handled. The man who took my call was courteous and knowledgeable. At that time (a year ago), they had 26 active cases. Having spent too much time in the defendant's chair in civil suits, I believe this is a worthwhile expense.

One important factor when purchasing liability insurance is whether it covers you for an occurrence at the time it happens or whether you are covered for a specific time after the period of insurance has ended. "Claims Made" vs. "Occurrence Based". The County I worked for (32 years) bid their insurance out each year. Thankfully, they bid "Occurrence Based" (more $) each time. You see, there is a five year window to file most civil actions in Federal Court.

So- Billy Bad Boy whom you butt-shot while he was stealing your chickens goes to prison where he meets a knowledgeable inmate attorney. Together, they file a lawsuit in Federal Court against you for violation of Bill's Civil Rights. Without a chance in the world of winning, they hope to get something out of the suit. It general costs them zip. You, on the other hand, are going to have to hire an attorney. I know personally how much billable time a mouthpiece can accumulate in a single frivolous action. I don't have that much money.

Now - that happened several years ago. Since then, you switched insurance companies or let the coverage lapse. "Claims Made" coverage only protects you while the policy in in force. "Occurrence-based covers the time the policy was in force, regardless of whether or not you have the same company. (If you buy a policy for 2017, you're covered for whatever happened during that time.)

One of my cases was a $100 Million suit by an inmate who spent 23 years on Death Row, had his sentence reversed and remanded, set free. His attorneys were paid by some federal program, ours were paid by insurance companies (one defunct, the others in receiverships). They offered to settle for $1 Million.

We won the lawsuit. Attorney fees were in excess of $150 thousand.

Anyway ....turning everything my family owns to some crack whore or bottom-dwelling ambulance chaser is not on my agenda. Get coverage or leave your pea-shooter at home.
People Like This 
Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I used to belong to USCCA when they came out with that Insurance offer and another Investment scheme in silver investment which benefitted USCCA in the long run. It became evident, in my opinion, it would benefit the forum Execs. and not the members. I feel the same about all these Insurance plans that are going to make others rich and you "Insurance Poor"!

I suggest you keep your weapons holstered unless you REALLY need them to protect yourselves or family. It is nothing like Homeowners, Auto, Workman's Comp.(which is mandatory). You can also buy Burial Insurance on "yourself". Now I see that as really dumb. You probably already have Life Insurance to cover that, and if you don't, just go out in the back yard and dig a hole in advance for the inevitable event or just don't worry about it. IMHO

GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO)

Last edited by etbob9; 06-17-2017 at 07:33 PM.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3690 Times on 1897 Posts
Likes Given: 600

I do not carry insurance for gun liability. Neither do I pay an attorney, that I hope to never need. Nor have I retained a mortician, that I will certainly one day need. Maybe I just don't plan far enough ahead.
etbob9 Likes This