Firearm Chain Store Snitching? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Firearm Chain Store Snitching?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 541 Times on 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum

10-4. i cant believe i actually have to wait for a weapon...in Texas. Dont be fooled north people, its not as bad ass as the TV says it is.
Hey if you don't like it down here in then move back to Ohio. You don't have to wait when you buy a gun here. Unless you are talking about the background check they do while you wait it take about 20min then the gun is your!

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Soliferrum- with the exception of Class III firearms (such as machineguns) there is no mechanism to "register" a gun with the Federal Govt. How would a chain store require that you register a gun? With who? There is simply no agency to do that WITH.

ANY dealer is required to maintain at his premises a record of the sale of firearms. This is done thru a Form 4473, which the dealer maintains on his premises for 20 years. There IS a provision that permits law enforcement, through the BATFE, to trace a firearm for purposes of a criminal investigation. I have a good sized LGS where I hang out- they get about 2 such requests a year. Example- a 17 year old tries to rob a store, gets shot. Has a Colt pistol. ATF goes to Colt, says "Where did it go?" Colt says "Shipped to Joe's Guns, Mineral Wells TX, Oct 1998. ATF goes to Joe's, asks "Where did it go?" Joe reports sold to C3Shooter, Dec 1998. ATF contatcs C3, who sold it to his neighbor, Soliferrum, July 2006. ATF asks Soliferrum- where did it go? Soliferrum refers them to police report of burglary on his home, 3 months ago, when some scumbag stole his Colt.
I was wondering how that worked? Thanks!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6732 Times on 3583 Posts
Likes Given: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Soliferrum- with the exception of Class III firearms (such as machineguns) there is no mechanism to "register" a gun with the Federal Govt. How would a chain store require that you register a gun? With who? There is simply no agency to do that WITH.

ANY dealer is required to maintain at his premises a record of the sale of firearms. This is done thru a Form 4473, which the dealer maintains on his premises for 20 years. There IS a provision that permits law enforcement, through the BATFE, to trace a firearm for purposes of a criminal investigation. I have a good sized LGS where I hang out- they get about 2 such requests a year. Example- a 17 year old tries to rob a store, gets shot. Has a Colt pistol. ATF goes to Colt, says "Where did it go?" Colt says "Shipped to Joe's Guns, Mineral Wells TX, Oct 1998. ATF goes to Joe's, asks "Where did it go?" Joe reports sold to C3Shooter, Dec 1998. ATF contatcs C3, who sold it to his neighbor, Soliferrum, July 2006. ATF asks Soliferrum- where did it go? Soliferrum refers them to police report of burglary on his home, 3 months ago, when some scumbag stole his Colt.
when ffl closes shop doesnt that ffl transfer their bound book over to the batfe at that point?? im pretty sure thats what happens.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Wait, you aren't talking about registering your purchase with the manufacturer for the warranty, are you? Somebody had that confused with what most consider "registration" aka giving uncle sam a list of your firearms.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10556 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

Jon- correct. If a dealer goes out of business, their books are warehoused by ATF. Literally. ATF is prohibited from spending money to computerize those records, so they have boxes of them they have to hand search on a criminal trace.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

look. in my 10 years of doing firearm dealing this is the first time ive ever had to resort to retail stores for anything other than ammo because of the shear lack of local firearms stores, enthuiests, and gun shows in my area of Texas. im not saying they do make you register, not saying i want them to do something illegal with my paperwork. Im just asking to see if theyre businesses compare to the local shops i used to have. the loyal to the 2nd amendment mom and pop dealers. Its nothing illegal, but i dont know how these companies work. **C3 just answered this part for me**

the "wait" is about the kind of firearm, not the background check. where im at if you dont like an XD-40 you can get the f*ck out apparently. the selection is crap and now i have to wait and pay more, to get a piece transferred, thats what the wait means. thats why the post right above the one saying i have to wait, is about getting a gun transferred.

i understand the form, ive done it plently, and i too have stood there with my thumb up my ass waiting to be cleared, but again, in 10 years i have NEVER gone to a chain for a weapon, so i might as well be a damn canadian when it comes to this...no offense.

sorry for the confusion, hope this clears it up good enough. im incredibly thread dyslexic so its all clear in my head but it hits the keyboard and goes kaput. still unbelievably disappointed in texas.

Last edited by Soliferrum; 02-25-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3362 Times on 1740 Posts
Likes Given: 354

I do not know where in Texas you are, but Texas has plenty of independent dealers. You may have to network a bit to find that out of the way store near you. I venture to say Texas probably has more "non-storefront" dealers than many areas.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10556 Times on 4561 Posts
Likes Given: 1697

If you go over to the home pages for gunbroker and for auction arms, you can find their "find a ffl" function. Put in your zip code, and it will pull up ffls in your area that have registered with those sites.

Some are not storefronts- they are home based FFLs mainly doing internet transfers, but some will be LGS's- and some of the home based FFLs may have what you need.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I do not know where in Texas you are, but Texas has plenty of independent dealers. You may have to network a bit to find that out of the way store near you. I venture to say Texas probably has more "non-storefront" dealers than many areas.
very true, Robo. i travel about 35 miles to the LGS i use, because the only three places in the town i live in that even sell firearms is Wal-Mart and two pawn shops. the LGS i use will do an FFL transfer if needed and will order any gun they don't have in stock and most if their suppliers have it, i can usually have it in 2-3 days. i live in the East Texas area, and there are plenty of LGS within 50 miles from my house. use Davidson's GunGenie and use the dealers locator and you should find plenty of dealers who either have or will locate the firearm you are looking for.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i know fellas and i have tried. look, within about 3 1/2 to 4 hours of me there are 5 gunshops. 4 of them i have tried, and i, i just cant hurt myself again to check the other 1. 1 is located in a closet. it smelled like moth balls and i couldnt tell if the guns behind the glass were belt buckles or novelty paper weights. 2-oh my god, just so many sks's and mosins, dear lord do you have like a glock or hell, a smith and wesson? no? just-what? the hell is a K31? no i dont want 8 of them! good god im leaving. and 3 and 4- guys who made a gun store so they could have a hangout spot with all their guns. everything on display is not for sale- order only.

as for an area, east of dallas, north of houston. ill give you that.

ive also tried the gun genie too. it dosent want to find the gun i want. actually both of them.