Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Firearm Chain Store Snitching?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Firearm Chain Store Snitching?

So after moving to Texas, i am thoroughly and incredibly disappointed in the firearm atmosphere. I moved from Ohio and they seemed more pro gun than this state. Up in the OH i had no problem finding a firearm of my choosing, within 10 miles of my location at any given time. So now that i am stranded in a state that seemed to bolster its own reputation to the rest of the country, my options have been dramatically reduced to nothing.

Now i have to go and find guns at the last place i really wanted to. Chain sport stores.

My question is, do these sport stores i.e. Academy, Gander Mountain, make you register your firearm when you purchase it? i know about the background paper and sh*t i have to do for their records. Furthermore, if things were to go south how concerned should i be that that sheet i filled out would be handed over without a second thought if the government asked for it?

i know texas would give the fed the finger if they demanded gun registration and confiscation, but gander and academy isnt texas, so im worred how limp wristed these places would be. Id go in and ask them myself, but the 21 yo college doofus that works the counter told me an ar-15 isnt lethal or accurate out to 500 yrds. so yea, pointless waste of time there.

As always, thanks for your wise counsel oh great FTF.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1002 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliferrum View Post
My question is, do these sport stores i.e. Academy, Gander Mountain, make you register your firearm when you purchase it? i know about the background paper and sh*t i have to do for their records. Furthermore, if things were to go south how concerned should i be that that sheet i filled out would be handed over without a second thought if the government asked for it?
Would a licensed gun dealer share their sales records with duly appointed LEO's? I am confident the answer to that is yes if said dealer wishes to stay in business and out of jail.

There is currently no federal registry of guns and I am pretty sure TX has yet to go down that road.

Find a local FFL that charges $25 or less for transfers and enjoy life in the Republic of Tejas.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

I wouldn't bat an eye about bypassing the big chains at all. Go with Gator's advice. I think Gallery of Guns has an FFL search tool.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
I wouldn't bat an eye about bypassing the big chains at all. Go with Gator's advice. I think Gallery of Guns has an FFL search tool.
Sounds like there is a market for lgs in your area. Have you thought about becoming a business man?

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Sounds like there is a market for lgs in your area. Have you thought about becoming a business man?
Now that's an even better idea.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
10-4. i cant believe i actually have to wait for a weapon...in Texas. Dont be fooled north people, its not as bad ass as the TV says it is.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

???? They make you "register" your gun? They are FFL dealers and are required to process the transfer paperwork like any LGS. I think Academy has a new electronic 4473, but it is no different than putting pen to paper. How do youy have to "wait" for a weapon? You go in, pick it out, fill out the form, they call in the NICS information and you pay. How is that "wait" any longer that Ohio?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying is happening down there in the Lone Star. I'm also not sure if a retailer making you register is even legal, much less appropriate. I have a friend outside of Fort Worth, a retired cop and gun enthusiast, and he has never mentioned anything like you are telling us. Maybe I'm not clear on what the problem is. I can be a bit dense on occassion, especially like now when I've just awoke after working graveyard and only having one cup of coffee so far.

If you are that disgruntled, do the internet thing or get with any of us here that are dealers and we will help for sure.

And, you are correct. the E-Form 4473 is just another medium of "paperwork", no more.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16818 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

i am in Texas myself and i am having a hard time understanding this wait thing also. i buy quite often and the longest i have ever waited was about 15 minutes for the background check. i fiil out the 4473 form, just like you have to anywhere, regardless of what state you are in, they call and verify the background check, i pay for my firearms, then i leave with them. there isn't any registration that i know of, nor have i ever registered any of my firearms. my LGS has not a problem with ordering me something he doesn't stock or is something out of the ordinary. i guess i'm not understanding your problem, but i definately stay away from the chain stores. everytime i go in one, i feel i have been robbed when i leave!

Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

Soliferrum- with the exception of Class III firearms (such as machineguns) there is no mechanism to "register" a gun with the Federal Govt. How would a chain store require that you register a gun? With who? There is simply no agency to do that WITH.

ANY dealer is required to maintain at his premises a record of the sale of firearms. This is done thru a Form 4473, which the dealer maintains on his premises for 20 years. There IS a provision that permits law enforcement, through the BATFE, to trace a firearm for purposes of a criminal investigation. I have a good sized LGS where I hang out- they get about 2 such requests a year. Example- a 17 year old tries to rob a store, gets shot. Has a Colt pistol. ATF goes to Colt, says "Where did it go?" Colt says "Shipped to Joe's Guns, Mineral Wells TX, Oct 1998. ATF goes to Joe's, asks "Where did it go?" Joe reports sold to C3Shooter, Dec 1998. ATF contatcs C3, who sold it to his neighbor, Soliferrum, July 2006. ATF asks Soliferrum- where did it go? Soliferrum refers them to police report of burglary on his home, 3 months ago, when some scumbag stole his Colt.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.