Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > FFL requirements today???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts

Default FFL requirements today???

I didn't renew my FFL during the Clinton era due to harassment from the local LEOs.

Is it possible to obtain an FFL today without a store front? I'm in rural AZ and am interested in being a non stocking dealer if possible. I would assist in transfers and background checks if this becomes law. Firearms would be ordered only for individual buyers. This is what I was doing before Clinton got me, and I'd like to do it again IF I can get the FFL without a store front.

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

I believe I would start with the agency or authority that issue the permit / licenses

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 04-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8323 Times on 3599 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

As said, talk to the ATF.

However, I do business with several 01 FFLs that have their operations at their home (one is a danged good gunsmith).

You must be legal (zoning, business license) you must have a designated premises (cannot operate ONLY at gun shows)

You must have established operating hours (could be 1-4 on Saturdays)

You MUST intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns. If you use it only for personal buying, will not fly.

And. as said, talk to the ATF.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
As said, talk to the ATF.

However, I do business with several 01 FFLs that have their operations at their home (one is a danged good gunsmith).

You must be legal (zoning, business license) you must have a designated premises (cannot operate ONLY at gun shows)

You must have established operating hours (could be 1-4 on Saturdays)

You MUST intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns. If you use it only for personal buying, will not fly.

And. as said, talk to the ATF.
As a FFL still operating out of a garage ( not for much longer I hope ) I X2 the above. Our BATFE field agent was pretty flexable on the biz hours since we are by appointment.

For all we have, thank a vet.

"Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone."
- Erwin Rommel

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just finished my once every three years renewal check from ATF. My local agent (Dallas) said processing ten new requests for one renewal visit! Seemed to be flexible on everything but I have a building I operate out of and have regular office hours. He did mention there were several operating out of their house but the only concern was the business licensing for the area and zoning requirements for the location. I know three of them out of the Dallas office and they all three have been very courteous, attentive to my questions/concerns and two of the three have given me their personal cell phone numbers to be able to have questions answered after hours or weekends if I run into something I am not used to handling! Call and talk with your local agents and I believe you will find them to be darn nice folks and willing to help you through anything you need assistance with.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #6

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Kitty:

That's a great point.
Sometimes we all (and myself very much included) fall into the trap of demonizing the entire ATF but there are certainly some very good people working there as well!

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix