Felon with a firearm?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Felon with a firearm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 283 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was at work and talking to a guy about guns and he told me he is a convicted felon and is still allowed to have long guns but no handguns because he said that he is still allowed to bear arms and they cant take that right away from him? He said that thw conviction was for carry a consealed weapon and a drug charge. Im no lawyer and thought I was was pretty knowledgeable about firearm laws but this just doesn't make sense to me. I just dont know how that is possible? I dont think it will make a difference but im in Michigan. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by fupuk; 01-23-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Best of my knowledge a felon can't own a firearm without having their right reinstated by a judge. Being a felon loses most if not all rights dependent on the state. In my state thay can't vote, own a gun period as long as they have their rights tasken by the felony conviction.

Now I don't know all states and don't even attempt to know the law everywhere. But I don't know if a state that allows certain firearms on a felony conviction. Now the guy might ber talking more about taking what he sees as amoral stand and I'm not sure I'd be willing to blame him there. But often the law and morals do not see eye to eye.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #3

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
I was at work and talking to a guy about guns and he told me he is a convicted felon and is still allowed to have long guns but no handguns because he said that he is still allowed to bear arms and they cant take that right away from him? He said that thw conviction was for carry a consealed weapon and a drug charge. Im no lawyer and thought I was was pretty knowledgeable about firearm laws but this just doesn't make sense to me. I just dont know how that is possible? I dont think it will make a difference but im in Michigan. Any insight would be appreciated.
Its early for me but i think he's full of shet-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

This is a Federal issue regarding firearms. The answer is no he can not own a firearm. He can not live in a house where a firearm is stored. He has been convicted of a firearms violation this in its self forbids his firearms ownership.
Some states "Flag" felons when they buy hunting license.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Liked 283 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the replies. I just didnt know what to say to him. Call him on his bull **** or play along with it. He was talking about getting a Mossy 500 and I showed him a picture of mine and we just got to talking.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Thanks for the replies. I just didnt know what to say to him. Call him on his bull **** or play along with it. He was talking about getting a Mossy 500 and I showed him a picture of mine and we just got to talking.
I don't think i'd play with him

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 02:04 PM   #7

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Really, their firearms rights can be reinstated if they go through the right process.

But, from the story you relate, it sounds to me as if he's full of chit. He probably would have mentioned the hassle of that's what he went through. And I don't think a judge can pick and choose what guns a felon is allowed to own upon reinstating their firearms rights.

There is also a certain moral obligation you may now be subject to.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Some states automatically restore a felon's rights to bear arms after completion of their sentence. Other states you have to apply for it.

http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morrison/2011/11/17/21433/up-in-arms-a-felons-right-to-gun-ownership

Old 01-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #9

Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk
Call him out, keep us posted! I love a good story...

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Found this on Michigan:

Felony convictions For the purposes of losing Michigan gun rights, the law defines "felony" as a violation of state or federal law that is punishable by imprisonment for four years or more, or an attempt to violate such a law. Felony convictions with lesser maximum periods of imprisonment do not cause the loss of gun rights under this Michigan law. In Michigan, it is considered felon in possession for a person convicted of a felony to possess, use, transport, sell, purchase, carry, ship, receive, or distribute a firearm until 3 years after all of the following circumstances exist: 1. the person has paid all fines imposed for the violation, and 2. the person has served all terms of imprisonment imposed for the violation, and 3. the person has successfully completed all conditions of probation or parole imposed for the violation Once 3 years pass after these requirements are met, the felon can once again possess, use, transport, sell, purchase, carry, ship, receive, or distribute a firearm if he or she does so in a manner otherwise allowable by law.

From this site which has a lot more on the subject:

http://www.aggressivecriminaldefense.com/Client-Center/Gun-Right-Restoration.html